Pepper Johnson to Jets, DL Coach

boyst

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flash forward 2 years:

New hired NY Jets head coach, Pepper Johnson, has hired Stoney Brook tight end coach Doug Marrone for the same job with the Jets. "See, I knew I'd get the Jets job" said the always pucker anused Marrone.

Edited by Buftex

While that is true, Chan is a coach that does more with less. We just had a coach that does less with more.

It will be interesting to see who Chan gets as his qb. I don't know if either of the guys there will do well in the offense. If I remember correctly Fitz was learning it for at least a couple offseasons until he had full command of it. Vick might be able to pick it up relatively quickly, but it could be difficult for Geno being so young.

Damn, they could have had Marrone and Hackett, and instead they have Bowles and Chan and April and Johnson. I actually think the Jets hires have been really good. Marrone had to open his mouth and be himself. Damn.

I'm really excited about this particular hire, essentially my Jets and the bills swapped DL coaches.... and both of them are pretty darn good.

It will be interesting to see who Chan gets as his qb. I don't know if either of the guys there will do well in the offense. If I remember correctly Fitz was learning it for at least a couple offseasons until he had full command of it. Vick might be able to pick it up relatively quickly, but it could be difficult for Geno being so young.

I would guess Vick would be preferred under Gaileys watch. The competition between these AFC rivals has been turned up a couple notches i feel !

I'm really excited about this particular hire, essentially my Jets and the bills swapped DL coaches.... and both of them are pretty darn good.

true enough buddy!

I'd hold off on calling Bowles a great hire but Chan/April/Pepper have proven track records. I know nothing about their D coordinator that came over from Miami

Exactly why do you consider Pepper a proven commodity? For 13 years in NE, he bounced around as a defensive assistant, never really given any meaningful promotion. Suddenly, he was kicked to the curb for reasons unknown. Next, he "coaches" one of the best D-lines in the NFL under a great DC. Next, another great defensive mind becomes Bills HC and he's again an afterthought. I would say the only thing he's proven is that he's a big question mark. I wish him all the best though.

Exactly why do you consider Pepper a proven commodity? For 13 years in NE, he bounced around as a defensive assistant, never really given any meaningful promotion. Suddenly, he was kicked to the curb for reasons unknown. Next, he "coaches" one of the best D-lines in the NFL under a great DC. Next, another great defensive mind becomes Bills HC and he's again an afterthought. I would say the only thing he's proven is that he's a big question mark. I wish him all the best though.

He has long been considered a "next in line" for a DC position guy. That is why he came to the Bills. He thought that working with that unit would give him that opportunity. He did get at least one DC interview (Giants) but they went back to Spags. He will probably be considered again next year as spots open up. He is about as close to a proven commodity as you are going to find as a position coach.

Bounced around? He coached the Patriots line or linebackers for 14 straight years, his only job besides the Bills.

The Bills had already hired a DL coach. Pepper had an option to stay but not in that role.

Really? I thought we had a DL coach since the start of the offseason, named Pepper Johnson.

I guess Pepper saw some Buffalo loyalty firsthand. Best defensive line in the NFL? Let's force our D-line coach to quit or get demoted.

Really? I thought we had a DL coach since the start of the offseason, named Pepper Johnson.

I guess Pepper saw some Buffalo loyalty firsthand. Best defensive line in the NFL? Let's force our D-line coach to quit or get demoted.

when a new HC coach comes in he has the option to retain the assistants from the old staff, but in most cases brings in his own staff. Pepper was replaced by Dunbar. Rex told him he could have a spot on the staff somewhere if he didn't find one somewhere else - but as it looks it would have been akin to an assistant to a position coach as they have all been filled. It makes sense he would go somewhere that he could at least move laterally. Edited by YoloinOhio

You guys do realize that had things worked out differnetly...we would have had NO changes in any of our coaches

That would have been a very bad thing

I'm not trying to take a shot at you, but without providing specifics on your usage of the word "differently", I think to say that there would have been NO changes in the coaching staff is inaccurate. One step in a different direction along the way, has the potential to alter everything from that point on.

IMO, I do feel like at the end of the day, the Bills walked away with the best possible outcome that was available. It's time for Bills fans to kick back and enjoy a little R & R (Ryan & Roman). The time is here for a new AFCE Juggernaut. Let the dynasty begin.

Edited by FLbills

Can't you ever just see something for what it is besides something awful? Rex has worked this defense for several years with the same guys. When he gets the Bills job he brings the best of them with him. Every single coach does that. Dunbar is known as one of the very best in the league. It would be worse for the Bills to let Johnson coach the team's linemen over Dunbar because Johnson doesn't know it as well. Rex offers Johnson a spot but Johnson knows it's not going to be a big high profile job. So the Jets offer him the DL job that Dunbar had. There is no bad guy here. Anywhere.