Patience for the 2015 Bills Season - Joe Licata 2016!

Vinaccia

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to thank BigdaddyinOrlando, Buffalo Barbarian, the Big Cat, BuffaninATL, and Flip Johnson for the warm welcome. Buffalo Bills fans are the most loyal and friendliest fan base in the entire world! Go BILLS!

I like to hear the discussion on Joe Licata. If I am asking for details on what is wrong with his game, do not consider this argumentative, as I am very curious to read other viewpoints and I respect the difference in opinion. Many naysayers said that Tom Brady and Russell Wilson never showed a pro QB caliber arm in college but both went on to prove these critics wrong. If you disagree with the fact that the Bills should take Licata and do not think he is pro-QB, please elaborate if you have a chance as I would like to hear some analysis from other viewpoints. Often people will just make comments such as "that guy sucks" "that guy is not professional quality" and although this is the right of anyone to have an opinion, it adds nothing of substance to discuss in furtherance of the topic.

Hey everybody,

This is my first post. After reading this forum for years and enjoying all the discussions you guys have had, I decided to finally contribute myself. I am originally from Hamburg, NY living in Brooklyn currently. I would like to thank all of you for the informative discussions, fun topics, and devotion to the Buffalo Bills.

Now on to the substantive discussion. I understand Bills fans have frustration with how the Bills have been playing after Jim Kelly. However I do believe this is the start of a new GREAT era. I think the main focus for Bills fans should be PATIENCE. I know, I know, Bills fans have had patience and remained loyal despite the losing seasons and for all the money Bill's fans have put into this team, there should have been more winning seasons. The coaches and players are paid millions to be competitors for the upcoming/current seasons and NOT the future. The term rebuilding is just an excuse for an inadequate execution of the game.

The truth of the matter is that there is NO upgrade to EJ Manuel for 2015. We all know that in this league a franchise QB is the most important player. However, veteran free agents aren't anything to write home about and franchise QBs are in a shortage these years. EJ doesn't demand a high salary and without the oppressive restraint of Doug Marrone I believe he can get creative - just watch the 2013 highlights of EJ Manuel. In fact Rex Ryan is encouraging him to run more and not be overly worried about injuries. I feel that the negative feedback has been completely blown out of proportion for EJ. My idea is that Rex Ryan will be creative and will bring us another winning season in 2016.

However, the Bills need to be serious about taking Joe Licata in 2016. We need a smart, accurate, athletic QB that has the ability to read defenses. Joe Licata has all of these traits. This kid is under the radar because he is not at an elite football university. He has an amazing passion for the Bills having grown up in Williamsville. He also set all types of Western New York records. Jim Kelly has praised him in the past. And most of all he is an amazing accurate passer with a very good arm. Look, it is time to scout talent as the two QB's in the Superbowl now were not 1st round draft picks. Joe Licata in October went 35 of 50 for 401 yards and 5 touchdowns against Army. In the second half he almost brought the Bulls back to life from a huge deficit and went 27 of 35 for 320 yards. He has an amazing work ethic and strives to win. Enough talk about the inaccurate QB's of the 2015 draft class. He is 6'2 and a sturdy 240 pounds. Patience for 2015 and get your hometown franchise QB in 2016!

never heard of him honestly. Then again, I dont live in WNY, and am a Cal fan...

Overall, I agree, accuracy is very important for a rookie QB to have, it's practically unteachable. Then again, reading defenses is also pretty unteachable.

Too many Qb's in the draft are inaccurate (IMO Mariota will be a bust).

In your opinion, would this guy be a starter? What round would you draft him?

I've seen every UB game and Joe has a lot of poise in the pocket, but he doesn't have an NFL arm.

he has a terrible long ball....mediocre accuracy against mediocre competition....if the bills wanted to give him a free agent try out for a home town guy then fine but he is not an NFL prospect at this point...but what the heck do I know...I'm not an nfl scout.

In my opinion where to go about drafting Licata really depends on if he gets any last minute hype such as Jimmy Garoppolo did before the Pats took him. If not, I would wait until at least the 5th round. You want to bring the kid in under the radar so that the pressure isn't mounted too highly on him as it was on EJ Manuel. That unbelievable pressure can affect the way you play when you have journalists and the media breaking down every single aspect of you and forecasting performance. Their attention isn't focused completely on honing their skills, but rather on satisfying critics and media expectations. This should not be the transition for a college QB. They should be focused on the playbook, learning advanced professional defenses techniques and also getting better at what they already do well. I believe it did affect EJ Manuel. I remember he was expected to be a Cam Newton and Big Ben infusion his first year. This was not fair. Skip Bayless called it right when EJ Manuel was the first QB drafted in the first round when he stated it was grossly unfair to EJ to draft EJ where he was drafted. IF Licata is drafted in the 5th round or later, then the approach to the analysis of starting him in my opinion is as follows, but only after a current QB is not playing well:

1. Assess the current QB situation. Was EJ just recently benched due to poor performance, and was a veteran brought in and used sparingly just to make a few plays and let the run game take care of the rest? Obviously IF EJ plays well next year with a breakout season you don't consider putting in a young QB. You DO draft him for depth though such as a Kelly/Reich QB roster.

2. Assess the performance of the run game. If the run game is very good and ground and pound is working, then starting a young QB like Licata gives him the ability to get his feet wet in the professional speed of the game without too much emphasis on gunslinging which can get even the best recent college-turned-pro QB confused and into trouble with interceptions. But to put him in depends on #3.

3. Is the starting QB playing horribly and still turning over the ball too much? If yes, then you have a situation in which you can put in a backup drafted guy in without having the media hype create an unrealistic expectation of a newly acquired QB.

Going in under the radar allows the young QB to totally put his undivided attention into learning the pace and game at the professional level.

In my idea he has the ability to be a starter in his first year, but I reiterate you do not place him into that role until need be. Let the kid learn and refine his skills to enter in as a poised professional QB with a good grasp of the system and style of professional level play.

Hey everybody,

This is my first post. After reading this forum for years and enjoying all the discussions you guys have had, I decided to finally contribute myself. I am originally from Hamburg, NY living in Brooklyn currently. I would like to thank all of you for the informative discussions, fun topics, and devotion to the Buffalo Bills.

Now on to the substantive discussion. I understand Bills fans have frustration with how the Bills have been playing after Jim Kelly. However I do believe this is the start of a new GREAT era. I think the main focus for Bills fans should be PATIENCE. I know, I know, Bills fans have had patience and remained loyal despite the losing seasons and for all the money Bill's fans have put into this team, there should have been more winning seasons. The coaches and players are paid millions to be competitors for the upcoming/current seasons and NOT the future. The term rebuilding is just an excuse for an inadequate execution of the game.

The truth of the matter is that there is NO upgrade to EJ Manuel for 2015. We all know that in this league a franchise QB is the most important player. However, veteran free agents aren't anything to write home about and franchise QBs are in a shortage these years. EJ doesn't demand a high salary and without the oppressive restraint of Doug Marrone I believe he can get creative - just watch the 2013 highlights of EJ Manuel. In fact Rex Ryan is encouraging him to run more and not be overly worried about injuries. I feel that the negative feedback has been completely blown out of proportion for EJ. My idea is that Rex Ryan will be creative and will bring us another winning season in 2016.

However, the Bills need to be serious about taking Joe Licata in 2016. We need a smart, accurate, athletic QB that has the ability to read defenses. Joe Licata has all of these traits. This kid is under the radar because he is not at an elite football university. He has an amazing passion for the Bills having grown up in Williamsville. He also set all types of Western New York records. Jim Kelly has praised him in the past. And most of all he is an amazing accurate passer with a very good arm. Look, it is time to scout talent as the two QB's in the Superbowl now were not 1st round draft picks. Joe Licata in October went 35 of 50 for 401 yards and 5 touchdowns against Army. In the second half he almost brought the Bulls back to life from a huge deficit and went 27 of 35 for 320 yards. He has an amazing work ethic and strives to win. Enough talk about the inaccurate QB's of the 2015 draft class. He is 6'2 and a sturdy 240 pounds. Patience for 2015 and get your hometown franchise QB in 2016!

So, you are saying we should tank for him in 2015? If so, I'm in. Please make sure Rex gets the memo.

Joe Licata is a train wreck in the MAC....can't imagine what he would be in the NFL....

Agreed. To the OP. Do yourself a favor & go back & watch the Baylor game. Watch the difference how Petty throws a football compared to Licatta. It is like night & day. The difference Petty is a legit NFL prospect, Licatta is borderline division 1 player.

I want to thank BigdaddyinOrlando, Buffalo Barbarian, the Big Cat, BuffaninATL, and Flip Johnson for the warm welcome. Buffalo Bills fans are the most loyal and friendliest fan base in the entire world! Go BILLS!

ORDER, ORDER, ORDER!!!

What in the name of Sam Houston is goin' on here?

Vinaccia, have you sent Mead a bottle of wine yet? If not, just what in tarnation are you doing making a first post?

:w00t:

Zevo - please elaborate on how he is a train wreck in the MAC. Furthermore what is wrong with his reads, accuracy, and skill set? I am looking for substantive argument rather than mere opinion.

DC Tom - Perhaps you misunderstood me. I am not choosing to look ahead and analyze the 2016 draft rather than reiterate that a quick fix this year at QB is not very likely and money shouldn't be wasted on QB's that are not going to produce more competitive results.

Joe Licata can't move and his arm strength is questionable. He might be decent at reading the defense and accurate plummets when its not a great weather daym. I don't know any way that he will be drafted but he may be able to fill the Jeff Tuel role though. And bring a lifelong UB fan there is no hate. I think Anthone Taylor has a better shot being drafted at a RB

Non-Power 5 Conference football QBs usually put up insane numbers in college if they are to have any success at all in the NFL. To put it simply, they dominate the lesser opponents. While LIcata has had some nice games and a pretty good season last year, he has far from dominated on any level in the MAC, and if you aren't dominating MAC defenses (regardless of your surrounding talent) you aren't going to be doing anything special in the NFL.

Edited by Mark80

You guys are gullible. This is either Joe Licata or one of his friends trolling. Someone's first post is "the Bills should draft a local QB next year (who won't even be drafted otherwise) in the 5th round"? Umm sure, that will solve all of our problems. He can't even complete more than 59% vs the MAC. And you guys think Fitz and EJ were inaccurate? He might be able to follow Willy and make a career for himself in the CFL but he is not an NFL caliber player

I never met Joe, and I really have no reason to advocate for the guy other than having watched him play.

Gordio - I am going to have to disagree with you about Baylor game. That game showed the differences between a better offensive line of Baylor and an extremely weak defense of the Bulls. Licata had a number of long accurate passes thrown to his receivers that they simply dropped. One is shown in these highlights:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9n89nz7YeA .

Mark80 - Non-Power 5 Conference football QBs usually put up insane numbers if they have a good supporting cast around them. The Bulls line is weak, and their receivers are nothing to write home about.

A couple of quick points that I see being thrown into this discussion that I believe are irrelevant:

1. Basing a QB's performance on the ability of his supporting cast.

2. Basing a QB's performance on whether his team won or not disregarding atrocious performance from other teammates.

3. Basing a QB's performance on what other people say.

4. As noted in the first post, basing a QB's performance just upon the fact that he doesn't go to a top football college.

Edited by Vinaccia

• 1 month later...

With all the talk about the uncertainty of the QB position and the way this quarterback situation is going, I think Joe Licata could be taken undrafted in 2016 and really be a surprise good acquisition for the Bills. We need a guy that has pocket poise, the ability to read defenses, and also has mobility. Look guys, I am not saying he will most certainly be the answer without a doubt in my mind, but I believe he has the drive inside of him, the athletic ability, and the intelligence to surprise everyone at the professional level. The main thing to consider is not looking at the team, but looking at his quarterback ability which has been impressive.

You good ask 100 different guys (or gals) and come up with 100 different reasons why one quarterback candidate is better than the next. Finding a potentially great quarterback, like Andrew Luck, is the exception, not the rule. Besides, you would have to have an awful season and be the first to pick in the draft to get him. (unless you want to trade away your first born and even then there is no guarantee anyone will trade). I think it is smart to watch players like Joe Licata early. However we have a whole 2015 season to play first. My opinion is that between the quarterbacks we now have, one will emerge.

Agreed on taking a qb in 2016 and not now but let's get a real franchise QB like Boykin or Cook. Boykin is amazing, kind of like a Russell Wilson with a stronger arm but hopefully he cares as much as Russell...Cook has the most underrated coach in all of college football coaching him in dantonio and reminds me of poor mans Andrew luck. Funny thing about these two is they may be playing each other in the national championship next year!