French Free Speech?

Dante

But I thought since the Charlie thing they were all about free speech stuff. Didn't they just have the Kumbaya walk of leaders in stout support of this? Free speech? Not so much.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-court-convicts-three-over-homophobic-tweets-in-case-hailed-as-a-significant-victory-by-lgbt-rights-campaigners-9996878.html

Gents, i am never over here, but thought i would post tonight. Not sure this is the right place, but have had a few so here goes.

Had the pleasure tonight of meeting Garry Trudeau, and then hearing an hour long talk by him.To say he is not a fan of Charlie Hebdo would be an understatement of colossal proportions, and i was really surprised to hear that. He clearly communicated that a line that can be crossed by satirists, and when NO ONE is laughing, maybe you have crossed that line. He certainly felt Charlie Hebdo crossed that line, and continues to do so.And no, we was not condoning the violence.

He went off on the very thing we speak about here....Free Speech as long as we agree on your opinion!

Gents, i am never over here, but thought i would post tonight. Not sure this is the right place, but have had a few so here goes.

Had the pleasure tonight of meeting Garry Trudeau, and then hearing an hour long talk by him.To say he is not a fan of Charlie Hebdo would be an understatement of colossal proportions, and i was really surprised to hear that. He clearly communicated that a line that can be crossed by satirists, and when NO ONE is laughing, maybe you have crossed that line. He certainly felt Charlie Hebdo crossed that line, and continues to do so.And no, we was not condoning the violence.

He went off on the very thing we speak about here....Free Speech as long as we agree on your opinion!

The Freedom of Speech isn't necessary or important to protect the inoffensive, the unabrasive, the benign, the popular, the wholesome, the moral, the polite, the non-controversial, the uninflammatory, or the delicate. That sort of speech requires little to no protection, because no one opposes it.

The Freedom of Speech exists precisely to protect Charlie Hebdo, and other provocateurs. That's who our Founders were. It's important to remember that.

It's also important to remember that our friends across the pond have a political and legal legacy much more closely tied to fascism than we do, and as such, they don't always do rights philosophy all that well anymore.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

How very Progressive

Yes, very progressive... and predictable. All the intelligent, caring, aesthetically sensitive, and truly noble people are on the left and you are free to saw whatever you wish as long as it is something they agree with. Otherwise... they sic jihad on your azz.

Just to be clear , Trudeau was not defending Charlie Hebdo, just the opposite. He take was there is a line that can be crossed in satire, and if no one is laughing you have prolly crossed that line. He feels much of what Charlie Hebdo did was not satire, but just plain offensive.

As well, he was quite offended that the very government and people who defended so stridently, and marched and protested over the right to free speech then Arrested folks the next day for exercising that right. It was just that the folks arrested happened to have an opinion that was in the minority.

Gary Trudeau is a standard gutless, American liberal hypocrite (which describes most American liberals and almost all of the ones in the entertainment industry). Satire is fine as long as it's directed at gun owners, Christians, whites, hetrosexuals, businesses, etc. But the same humor aimed at blacks, gays, Muslims, etc., is 'too-far' or 'hate-speech' or in this case 'no one is laughing'.

That said, Charlie Hebdo knowingly and intentionally prodded the bear and unfortunately paid the price. But at least they weren't afraid to use satire to attack ALL who deserved it. Something Trudeau would never do.

Edited by KD in CT

Gary Trudeau is a standard gutless, American liberal hypocrite (which describes most American liberals and almost all of the ones in the entertainment industry). Satire is fine as long as it's directed at gun owners, Christians, whites, hetrosexuals, businesses, etc. But the same humor aimed at blacks, gays, Muslims, etc., is 'too-far' or 'hate-speech' or in this case 'no one is laughing'.

That said, Charlie Hebdo knowingly and intentionally prodded the bear and unfortunately paid the price. But at least they weren't afraid to use satire to attack ALL who deserved it. Something Trudeau would never do.

Dude Trudeau may be similar to American libs but he was Prime Minister of Canada. I.e. He is dumb. Ignore him.

Yes, very progressive... and predictable. All the intelligent, caring, aesthetically sensitive, and truly noble people are on the left and you are free to saw whatever you wish as long as it is something they agree with. Otherwise... they sic jihad on your azz.

They jump all over each other for a sign that says Je Suis Charlie because they believe in free speech, but I don't remember them carrying a Je Suis Chick-Fil-A sign.

Dude Trudeau may be similar to American libs but he was Prime Minister of Canada. I.e. He is dumb. Ignore him.

He was married to a teenie-bopper who was banging Mick Jagger and flaunted her shoo-shoo in front of the paparazzi.

Good times.

Just to be clear , Trudeau was not defending Charlie Hebdo, just the opposite. He take was there is a line that can be crossed in satire, and if no one is laughing you have prolly crossed that line. He feels much of what Charlie Hebdo did was not satire, but just plain offensive.

As well, he was quite offended that the very government and people who defended so stridently, and marched and protested over the right to free speech then Arrested folks the next day for exercising that right. It was just that the folks arrested happened to have an opinion that was in the minority.

I'm wondering if given the authority to do so, would Trudeau suppress such things from publication? Based on what little I've seen from Charlie Hebdo, I'd agree that they publish some pretty offensive stuff, but I can be offended by things without feeling the need to be aggressively reactionary about them. Like most people, when I encounter subject matter that offends me (and there's plenty of it out there), I turn the channel, put down the book, or otherwise ignore it. Freedom requires that we take the bad with the good.

I'm wondering if given the authority to do so, would Trudeau suppress such things from publication? Based on what little I've seen from Charlie Hebdo, I'd agree that they publish some pretty offensive stuff, but I can be offended by things without feeling the need to be aggressively reactionary about them. Like most people, when I encounter subject matter that offends me (and there's plenty of it out there), I turn the channel, put down the book, or otherwise ignore it. Freedom requires that we take the bad with the good.

So you support hate speech!?!?!? OMG!!!!

• 2 months later...