National pie day...what's your favorite?

Beerball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree (with the exception of your misguided grape view).

If I had to rank desserts, pie would be no. 1.

I'm gonna trust you on the grape!

Now, someone please provide me with detailed foolproof (stepped right into that one) set of instructions for preparing the perfect pie crust.

I'm gonna trust you on the grape!

Now, someone please provide me with detailed foolproof (stepped right into that one) set of instructions for preparing the perfect pie crust.

I've got one in Mama Bandit's old cookbook...

Single Crust

1-1/2 cups sifted flour (approx. 1/3 wheat pastry flour and 2/3 all-purpose)

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening

4.5 tbsp. water

Double Crust

2 cups sifted flour (approx. 1/3 wheat pastry flour and 2/3 all-purpose)

1 tsp. salt

2/3 cup non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening

6 tbsp. water

The key elements are the ones I mentioned: water must be on the verge of (but not yet) frozen, shortening must be non-hydrogenated palm oil. DO NOT USE BUTTER.

You need to make sure you sift your flour and salt together. Then cut in your shortening: use two butter knives and cut crossways to mix the shortening into the flour. Keep going until the mixture crumbles together to the size of small peas. Then add the water 1 tbsp. at a time, mixing it with a fork until it's completely absorbed (be gentle--mixing too vigorously will make a tough crust). Repeat until you've added all the water, then roll it into a ball.

Flour your working surface and roll out your dough. You want to roll from the center out to the edges...get it about 1/8" thick.

When you fit it into your pie plate, make sure you let the dough overhang the edges so that you can crimp or press it however you like. Some recipes will tell you to aerate the crust, but I only do this if I'm baking the crust by itself before adding a filling, otherwise I find it gets too soggy.

There...now go forth and bake fruitfully.

Edited by thebandit27

Single Crust

1/2 tsp. salt

4.5 tbsp. water

Double Crust

1 tsp. salt

6 tbsp. water

The key elements are the ones I mentioned: water must be on the verge of (but not yet) frozen, shortening must be non-hydrogenated palm oil. DO NOT USE BUTTER.

You need to make sure you sift your flour and salt together. Then cut in your shortening: use two butter knives and cut crossways to mix the shortening into the flour. Keep going until the mixture crumbles together to the size of small peas. Then add the water 1 tbsp. at a time, mixing it with a fork until it's completely absorbed (be gentle--mixing too vigorously will make a tough crust). Repeat until you've added all the water, then roll it into a ball.

Flour your working surface and roll out your dough. You want to roll from the center out to the edges...get it about 1/8" thick.

When you fit it into your pie plate, make sure you let the dough overhang the edges so that you can crimp or press it however you like. Some recipes will tell you to aerate the crust, but I only do this if I'm baking the crust by itself before adding a filling, otherwise I find it gets too soggy.

I will do it and report back. I think that my problem is over-mixing. I will try to remember to be gentle.

Single Crust

1/2 tsp. salt

4.5 tbsp. water

Double Crust

1 tsp. salt

6 tbsp. water

I think this might be more his speed:

IMG_1309k.JPG

Grape Pie

Make pastry for a two crust 9’ pie.

For the filling:

Remove and save the skins from 5 1/3 cup of concord grapes.

Put pulp into a saucepan, without water and bring to a rolling boil.

While hot, rub pulp through a strainer to remove the seeds.

Mix the strained pulp with the skins.

Mix together: (and mix lightly through the grapes)

1 1/3 cup sugar

4 tablespoons flour

1 1/3 teaspoon lemon juice

Dash of salt

Pour grape filling into pastry lined pan.

Dot with 1 ½ tablespoon butter

Cover with top crust, cut vents in the top crust.

Bake at 425 degrees for 35 – 40 minutes and crust is lightly browned and juice begins to bubble through slits in top crust.