National pie day...what's your favorite?

Beerball

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it isn't right for me to criticize things i have never tried, but the sound of this makes my skin crawl, in my mind i envision concord grape jelly spread onto a pie crust. to be fair, i felt the same disdain for fish tacos and tomato pie before trying them and subsequently loving them. maybe i need to give this a try too

Grape pie.

it isn't right for me to criticize things i have never tried, but the sound of this makes my skin crawl, in my mind i envision concord grape jelly spread onto a pie crust. to be fair, i felt the same disdain for fish tacos and tomato pie before trying them and subsequently loving them. maybe i need to give this a try too

that's one of the main staples in Naples NY

Naples Grape Festival, Naples NY

Sorry I don't want to get any warning points

Choc cream followed by my wife's cherry Apple pie

Choc cream is not a pie! It's chocolate pudding on a piece of crust! Both apple and cherry are my favorites though. Coupled with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream.

Me too. I grew up surrounded by concords but, could never try a pie made out of them.

Peach

Yeah, from fresh peaches they are amazing.

It really depends for me, because I love a lot of different pies.

However, the key to a great pie is in the crust. A perfect pie crust can be eaten on its own and taste delicious. It's difficult to get right--you have to use the proper combination of white flour and wheat pastry flour, plus water that is on the verge of (but not yet) frozen...and it needs to be non-hydrogenated palm oil shortening; not butter.

That's how Mama Bandit used to make it, and the greatest pie I've ever eaten in my life was her two-crust apple pie. She used Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious apples. Apple isn't even my favorite pie, but that was the pinnacle of pie excellence. The crust was crispy-yet-flaky, and had the perfect chew to it. The seasoning was so perfect that it was almost criminal to ruin it with ice cream.

There are many recipes that I can re-create subsequent to the passing of my mother a year-and-a-half ago (her birthday was yesterday), but neither myself nor Mrs. Bandit (a very accomplished baker in her own right) can get this one just right...yet. Rest assured, however, that we will.

Ah, nostalgia!