Monos offers underwhelming support for EJ "you never know"

Beerball

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that the Bills don't have a lot of choices when it comes to the quarterback position and that EJ hasn't established himself. But the draft probably won't produce a franchise quarterback and free agency doesn't look to be any better. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to acquire quarterback by these methods, but EJ is still our best hope at present. The plan of going with a strong defense and special teams and building up the running game is smart. Ryan had a lot of success initially in New York with that method, with Sanchez as his quarterback, and Sanchez's numbers weren't that good and can be easily duplicated, if not surpassed, by EJ.

This is way too logical for this board. :thumbsup:

I find it refreshing. Under Nix we were always being given the "mushroom treatment" about QB, with far too little resources spent on QB. There's the same lack of talk about competition at the QB position here in St Louis whilst meanwhile "franchise guy" Bradford has missed something like 26 regular season games. Sanchez becoming "Sanchize" under Rex Ryan "QB as long as I'm coach here" did him no favors. Even if the QB's name is Favre or Peyton Manning, there should be young guys brought in who can learn and compete.

Including 2000 when Brady emerged at QB for NE, NE has spent 8 draft picks at QB including one 2nd, 2 3rds, a 4th, and 4 late-round picks.

In the same time frame, without a "franchise guy" holding down the fort, B'lo has spent 4 (2 1sts, a 3rd, and a 7th)

Let's run those numbers again: the successful franchise, *with a franchise QB in place*, has spent twice as many draft picks on QB, half of them early-round picks.

So bringing in competition may just be part of being a successful franchise, not a condemnation of the current guy.

When did we bring in Monos? Was it 2013, after Whaley took over from Nix at GM (eg after the draft)?

This is one aspect of the CBA I do not at all understand. The famous McCarthy 'QB camps" that helped craft Rodgers into the QB he is today would seem desireable to the players. OTA and training camp is too late to really work on fundamentals.

Excellent analysis hopeful, thank you.

You watch - Jerry Jones will find a way to get him (johnny football) for a 4th.

I am hoping we make a serious play for Chase Daniels. I see him as a Drew Brees and Russell Wilson type of QB, who has shown the ability to win (I know, a small sample size) and I think gives the Bills the ability to win now with the defense we have.

He may not be available, but I do think he is worth pursuing in light of the immediate needs (QB upgrade) and potential (Great D & ST, and what could/should be a solid running game, and good O skill players) of the team.

My bones don't like it any more than my brain does, but, it's gonna happen.

I hope your bones and brain are conditioned by years of insanity under Wilson and so forth, and that "Stop the Insanity!" now reigns.

A guy about whom his team mates are quipping "wreck this team" not "wreck this league with this team" is NOT the guy you wanna see. It would be like bringing in Vince Young, absent the new-found humility and work ethic.

I am hoping we make a serious play for Chase Daniels. I see him as a Drew Brees and Russell Wilson type of QB, who has shown the ability to win (I know, a small sample size) and I think gives the Bills the ability to win now with the defense we have.

He may not be available, but I do think he is worth pursuing in light of the immediate needs (QB upgrade) and potential (Great D & ST, and what could/should be a solid running game, and good O skill players) of the team.

Thanks for the kind word, CS Bills.

This is an interesting point. As said elsewhere, I am not a big college football fan but living in St Louis it's impossible to avoid Mizzou. Chase Daniels, as a Mizzou QB, blew the doors off anything Blaine Gabbert did and I could not understand why Daniel went undrafted and Gabbert went in the first. Not because I thought Daniel should have gone in the first, but Daniel set passing records all over the place. Was considered by some the best QB in the 2009 drafts. Yet there's that height - he was 5'10" as a sophomore, did he really grow 3 inches between his sophmore and senior years to be measured 6'1" at the combine? It happens I guess. More likely he's 6'1" as measured at the Combine only if he's been sleeping on a board and getting facilitated stretching treatments. 6'0" in references like wiki and pro-football, maybe he is - with lift blocks under his heels.

I don't think the Saints kept him for 3 years because they thought he sucked, but I don't think they let him go because they thought he was "Baby Brees" either. Linemen have not been getting smaller in the last 5 years. Bottom line, he was a successful college QB in 2009 in a spread offense and there is very little tape on him to say whether he would, or would not, be able to transition to the pros. He's a smart and hardworking guy and stayed around because he knew what he was doing on paper, but does that translate to "on grass, on Sunday"? No one knows.

Is that enough that you trade for him? I wouldn't. There are plenty of QB the Bills could acquire that I'd hate more (*cough* JFF *cough*). If we're trading, I'd rather see us take a flyer on a guy who has shown more in the league. On the other hand, the Chiefs owe him nearly $4 million next year, and might very well decide to look elsewhere at QB in which case they might cut him.

Edited by Hopeful

Pretty much what anyone would say - has done some good things, has talent it's going to be year 3 he knows it is go time. I didnt think it was underwhelming or overwhelming just more matter of fact. In light of what took place last year it's impossible to say if sitting and learning from a veteran qb will have helped EJ, others say you can't develop unless you play. I think that statement is true more in college football where "coaching" doesn't really exist. What I wanted to hear was Whaley say not good enough.

You have a competition and see who earns the right to take the snaps. Pre-determining who should be the starter is a foolish way to approach the qb issue. Make no mistake about the current situation. The front office is going to bring in another qb candidate not because EJ has been impressive but because he has been less than impressive.

I agree. EJ would be last on that list for me. No question about it. I will be pleasantly shocked if he proves me wrong.

Why? You are not trying to say you have written off Johnny after a mere 2 games are you?

Not who you're responding to, but as for me, Yes. Yes, I have. It's not the two games, it's the party-boy lack of prep attitude all season, revealed in the two games, and followed up by 1) words about knowing he needed to change his ways 2) actions of catching the next plane to PartyTown.

Edited by Hopeful