Monos offers underwhelming support for EJ "you never know"

Beerball

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

>>>>>“There’s no way you can write EJ Manuel off yet,” Monos said. “He has the chance to compete for the starting job just like he has before. Hopefully he’s learned some things. We have a new staff now and hopefully they click. You never know.”<<<<<

Underwhelming indeed, especially the word "yet."

>>>>>Theres no way you can write EJ Manuel off yet, Monos said. He has the chance to compete for the starting job just like he has before. Hopefully hes learned some things. We have a new staff now and hopefully they click. You never know.<<<<<

it seems like a pretty reasonable, even handed answer. even a young qb that has played very well could have most of that said about him (minus perhaps the compete to start, if theyve played VERY well)

The reality is that the Bills don't have a lot of choices when it comes to the quarterback position and that EJ hasn't established himself. But the draft probably won't produce a franchise quarterback and free agency doesn't look to be any better. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to acquire quarterback by these methods, but EJ is still our best hope at present. The plan of going with a strong defense and special teams and building up the running game is smart. Ryan had a lot of success initially in New York with that method, with Sanchez as his quarterback, and Sanchez's numbers weren't that good and can be easily duplicated, if not surpassed, by EJ.

>>>>>“There’s no way you can write EJ Manuel off yet,” Monos said. “He has the chance to compete for the starting job just like he has before. Hopefully he’s learned some things. We have a new staff now and hopefully they click. You never know.”<<<<<

At this point it can't be determined whether it is an underwhelming or overwhelming assessment of EJ. Especialy with Whaley under new ownership and being the main authority in the football operation he wants to win now. The mounting years of not being in the playoffs is now ticking under his watch. I'm confident that EJ is not going to be his favored qb if another qb outshines him in camp and in preseason.

If you want to get a better sense on how the organization views Manuel's prospects watch who they bring in to compete with him. If they bring in an Orton type of "fading" veteran qb rather than a younger qb, such as Foles, Bradford or Sanchez, then you will get a better feel for their real stance on EJ.

We don't know for sure whether Nix or Whaley was most involved with the EJ selection. Because of Manuel's protypical size it fits the Nix profile on making draft selections. On the other hand I also get the sense that Whaley sees a version of Rothlesberger in the big qb from Fla. St.

For me last year was a wasted year with respect to finding out whether EJ was the long-term qb answer. While many people have a harsh view of Marrone and many of his decisions I have no problem with his decision on benching EJ for the mediocre Orton because he felt that he gave the team the better chance to win. The shame of the situation is that we are again asking the same question this year which should have been answered last year whether we have a franchise qb on the roster.

I think any objective observer of EJ would agree that while the evidence against is compelling, the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to become a quality NFL QB. "You never know" is a way of saying we really don't know for sure yet, but the odds aren't great.

Contrast that with Manziel, who Cleveland's owner effectively declared a bust this week after two horrid starts and a pile of off-field bull **** in his rookie year. In the case of Manziel vs Cleveland, the the verdict is in and Manziel has been sentenced guilty on all counts of being a 1st degree bust. He will appeal the sentence in training camp, but the odds against him are almost Tebowesque at this point.

Edited by negativo

At this point it can't be determined whether it is an underwhelming or overwhelming assessment of EJ. Especialy with Whaley under new ownership and being the main authority in the football operation he wants to win now. The mounting years of not being in the playoffs is now ticking under his watch. I'm confident that EJ is not going to be his favored qb if another qb outshines him in camp and in preseason.

If you want to get a better sense on how the organization views Manuel's prospects watch who they bring in to compete with him. If they bring in an Orton type of "fading" veteran qb rather than a younger qb, such as Foles, Bradford or Sanchez, then you will get a better feel for their real stance on EJ.

We don't know for sure whether Nix or Whaley was most involved with the EJ selection. Because of Manuel's protypical size it fits the Nix profile on making draft selections. On the other hand I also get the sense that Whaley sees a version of Rothlesberger in the big qb from Fla. St.

For me last year was a wasted year with respect to finding out whether EJ was the long-term qb answer. While many people have a harsh view of Marrone and many of his decisions I have no problem with his decision on benching EJ for the mediocre Orton because he felt that he gave the team the better chance to win. The shame of the situation is that we are again asking the same question this year which should have been answered last year whether we have a franchise qb on the roster.

^ Agree 100%

I think any objective observer of EJ would agree that while the evidence against is compelling, the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to become a quality NFL QB. "You never know" is a way of saying we really don't know for sure yet, but the odds aren't great.

Contrast that with Manziel, who Cleveland's owner effectively declared a bust this week after two horrid starts and a pile of off-field bull **** in his rookie year. In the case of Manziel vs Cleveland, the the verdict is in and Manziel has been sentenced guilty on all counts of being a 1st degree bust. He will appeal the sentence in training camp, but the odds against him are almost Tebowesque at this point.

^ Agree here too

Bring in the best veteran we can get (who might be underwhelming) and hope we can cajole average QB play out of him to make a playoff push.

EJ can compete with the vet for the starting role.

Draft a young QB to compete with EJ for the young QB backup role if the veteran defeats EJ early in camp (very possible).

If the young QB also defeats EJ, then EJ is done here. And we have a new young QB to be hopeful about.

Every QB on the roster should always be competing with somebody.

Edited by Ozymandius

It does not matter what anyone says now- all QB's on the roster prior to the start of the season - will be given a chance to win the job in mini camps and training camp. I do not think Rex or any of the coaches care who wins the job. They just want a viable option who can help this team win games. At this point in time - No one is going to come out and say the job is EJ's or any other QB' s. - we do not have a proven commodity at QB and we will not be able to get one - it will only be a collection of "other guys" - there is not going to be a Brady, Rodgers or any top QB available. So as the Bills have said before " bring in a few options" and let the competition begin. Even a trade will bring in only an average QB at best. There will be no knight in shinning armor.

I think this staff will allow each QB to play in a system that his friendly to his strengths as opposed to the Marrone system - of " my way or the highway". You can not force the squard peg into the round hole and that was Marrone's philosophy.

It is unfortunate that the CBA rules do not allow EJ and any other QB's - the option to work with Roman and Lee sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can sign two veteran QB's and let the competition begin.

The interfering owner has no credibility in assessing players. He was the one who forced the drafting of Manziel. There is no doubt that Manziel had a very troubled year on and off the field. But making a conclusive judgment on him based on his rocky rookie play and off the field juvenile behavior would be foolish.

Some rookies very much struggle with their transition to the pro ranks from college. Others make the transition very quickly. Kujo and Richardson were both overwhelmed in their rookie years. I'm certainly not going to give up on them so quickly.

I'm far from being a Manziel fan. However, I thought he would be an intriguing prospect who should have been taken in the second round. My point is that it is way to early to make a determination after one year.

The only thing I have observed about how they felt was bringing in Jordan Palmer in the preseason. He is certainly a mentor type qb and was not a threat to start. It seemed like Marrone complained that he needed someone who could push and/or start because EJ wasn't ready and he didn't want to put EJ on the field yet. So Orton was brought in as an upgrade to Palmer in the short term interest of winning. It will be interesting to see who they bring in. I hope they bring in someone who could start and someone to push Tuel also.

it seems like a pretty reasonable, even handed answer. even a young qb that has played very well could have most of that said about him (minus perhaps the compete to start, if theyve played VERY well)

I find it refreshing. Under Nix we were always being given the "mushroom treatment" about QB, with far too little resources spent on QB. There's the same lack of talk about competition at the QB position here in St Louis whilst meanwhile "franchise guy" Bradford has missed something like 26 regular season games. Sanchez becoming "Sanchize" under Rex Ryan "QB as long as I'm coach here" did him no favors. Even if the QB's name is Favre or Peyton Manning, there should be young guys brought in who can learn and compete.

Including 2000 when Brady emerged at QB for NE, NE has spent 8 draft picks at QB including one 2nd, 2 3rds, a 4th, and 4 late-round picks.

In the same time frame, without a "franchise guy" holding down the fort, B'lo has spent 4 (2 1sts, a 3rd, and a 7th)

Let's run those numbers again: the successful franchise, *with a franchise QB in place*, has spent twice as many draft picks on QB, half of them early-round picks.

So bringing in competition may just be part of being a successful franchise, not a condemnation of the current guy.

When did we bring in Monos? Was it 2013, after Whaley took over from Nix at GM (eg after the draft)?

It is unfortunate that the CBA rules do not allow EJ and any other QB's - the option to work with Roman and Lee sooner rather than later. Hopefully we can sign two veteran QB's and let the competition begin.

This is one aspect of the CBA I do not at all understand. The famous McCarthy 'QB camps" that helped craft Rodgers into the QB he is today would seem desireable to the players. OTA and training camp is too late to really work on fundamentals.

Edited by Hopeful

I find it refreshing. Under Nix we were always being given the "mushroom treatment" about QB, with far too little resources spent on QB. There's the same lack of talk about competition at the QB position here in St Louis whilst meanwhile "franchise guy" Bradford has missed something like 26 regular season games. Sanchez becoming "Sanchize" under Rex Ryan "QB as long as I'm coach here" did him no favors. Even if the QB's name is Favre or Peyton Manning, there should be young guys brought in who can learn and compete.

Including 2000 when Brady emerged at QB for NE, NE has spent 8 draft picks at QB including one 2nd, 2 3rds, a 4th, and 4 late-round picks.

In the same time frame, without a "franchise guy" holding down the fort, B'lo has spent 4 (2 1sts, a 3rd, and a 7th)

Let's run those numbers again: the successful franchise, *with a franchise QB in place*, has spent twice as many draft picks on QB, half of them early-round picks.

So bringing in competition may just be part of being a successful franchise, not a condemnation of the current guy.

When did we bring in Monos? Was it 2013, after Whaley took over from Nix at GM (eg after the draft)?

This is one aspect of the CBA I do not at all understand. The famous McCarthy 'QB camps" that helped craft Rodgers into the QB he is today would seem desireable to the players. OTA and training camp is too late to really work on fundamentals.

In the Pats' case, prior to last year, the QB picks were value picks and to try and flip them for a higher pick. And none of them have panned out as starting QB's, although Cassel, a 7th rounder, netted them a 2nd rounder. So while they've allocated more resources to QB, they've fared no better and got lucky with Brady.

The reality is that the Bills don't have a lot of choices when it comes to the quarterback position and that EJ hasn't established himself. But the draft probably won't produce a franchise quarterback and free agency doesn't look to be any better. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try to acquire quarterback by these methods, but EJ is still our best hope at present. The plan of going with a strong defense and special teams and building up the running game is smart. Ryan had a lot of success initially in New York with that method, with Sanchez as his quarterback, and Sanchez's numbers weren't that good and can be easily duplicated, if not surpassed, by EJ.

Agree with this.

Although I agree that the chances of EJ becoming a "franchise QB" aren't great, let's remember the glass is half full.

Sadly, the history of the Buffalo Bills hasn't been blessed with good QBs - in contrast to our good luck with RBs. EJ is far from the worst QB to ever line up under center in a Bills uni.

We went 2-2 with EJ this past season. If the Pats had tried to win the last game, we would have gone 6-6 with Orton. While Orton had flashes, in the end the two QBs were comparably mediocre.

My point is that Roman, a run oriented OC anyway, just might be able to cobble together an offense with an EJ who's only slightly improved over the 2014 version.

Of course, we all hope we draft the next Russell Wilson. But even if EJ starts next year, I won't go apoplectic with despair and frustration. I'm fully in wait-and-see mode.

Yet could be said about any underperforming player. None of them get forever, just for now. EJ will step up or someone else will get the gig. I don't think it's underwhelming support. Monos is just being even-handed.