New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

There's an interesting comment in that. If the league punted on suspending Suh for stomping on Rodgers' leg, what reason do we have to believe they're going to punish the Patriots for a far less obvious violation?

Whether they should or not is practically irrelevant...the league's not going to do **** about this.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right. A guy going around ball to ball, or standing next to them (not sure how they are stored), trying to act nonchalant, every game, every season, and it wouldn't look suspicious watching it now? And no one, not a fan in the stands, or any of the cameras have that scene recorded?

Well all the balls are inspected every game aren't they? Maybe some footage will show up now of the sideline "ball touching" now that it is relevant.

Yeah, but supposedly the balls are all deflated to the same pressure.

So? Take twelve balls, equally inflated. Stick a needle in each one and count to 3 (5,7, whatever). Remove needle. All balls are now deflated to the same pressure.

It doesn't take a !@#$ing rocket scientist. Even you could do it.

It's crazy to think the league didn't know about this. It's also not crazy to think they decided to make a big deal out of it 2 weeks before the SB for a reason.

This is the very disturbing and scary part of this whole shenanigan is it not ?

So? Take twelve balls, equally inflated. Stick a needle in each one and count to 3 (5,7, whatever). Remove needle. All balls are now deflated to the same pressure.

lol. coming from a rocket scientist.

: )

Unless Brady is clearly to blame or admits deflating the balls himself, I don't think he should be suspended. I do think hoodie should be suspended immediately and for next season, Kraft should be suspended immediately and for part of next season, and they should forfeit draft picks. "Integrity of the game".

Right. A guy going around ball to ball, or standing next to them (not sure how they are stored), trying to act nonchalant, every game, every season, and it wouldn't look suspicious watching it now? And no one, not a fan in the stands, or any of the cameras have that scene recorded?

They're all stored in one bag, in the custody of the ball boy. Who's reaching in and out of the bag continuously throughout the game, because it's his job.

I can't see how it could be done secretly. Completely mystifying.

I don't understand this implication that the NFL needs to prove that a specific person is responsible for this.

In baseball, if a player breaks a bat that is corked, and an opposing player picks it up, hands it to the ump, and the ump confirms its corked, the MLB officials don't need to prove that anyone person in particular corked the bat--it is assumed that the player using it corked it to gain their advantage.

Relevant because:

1) NFL refs confirm all game balls are within regs

2) Game starts

3) Brady throws a pick

4) colts player that intercepts it complains its underinflated

5) refs check balls

6) 11 of 12 patriots balls are "significantly below psi thresh hold".

Why do we need somone on the grasssy knoll holding a smoking sniper rifle with a sworn statement saying they shot kennedy?

I think it's pretty clear Brady cheated. Why wouldnt he? He's old, last year was a bad year for him, he looked awful the first month of this season, there was talk he could get benched, and then BOOM, the magic is back. And then you got players here and there all season talking about underinflated balls. Interesting.

Suspend him the same amount of games as a first time PED user.

However--Seattle's defense is way better than the defenses Brady faced at the beginning of the season. I expect a very bad performance for him if he doesnt get suspended, as hell be forced to play with regulation balls in a neutral arena. Remember: 0-7 on the road in the playoffs. He can't hack it without his doctored balls and private radio frequencies.

Would they disqualify a team from the World Series for a corked bat?

What exactly is the punishment for a corked bat, or even the same team using corked bats? Fines, Ejection? Suspensions? Managers suspended?

I think the corked bat is a worse transgression, but let's call them equal.

its true. I have some performance cars and i am often checking hot and cold tire pressure. very small accurate device. there are also little check valves that can be preset to release an accurate amount of air to a set pressure quickly and quietly. and heck i am not even trying to game the system!

Interesting. I actually learned something in this thread! Who would have thought?

NFL is like where i work. They manage indiscretion until the profits fall off. then they get hard assed. as long as the money is rolling corporate is happy and whatever goes. sure they have their pets like safety or something to put up on the board. but its all about the shareholders

Interesting. I actually learned something in this thread! Who would have thought?

Dont blame me !

Edited by 3rdand12

Still, it's a guy standing with these 12 balls, doing this and he is supposed to go unnoticed by cameras, AND officials?

If this is happening on the sidelines, there has to be footage. And if it's happening inside the halls, there has to be footage of someone entering the area, if not in the room.

Edited by HoF Watkins

They're all stored in one bag, in the custody of the ball boy. Who's reaching in and out of the bag continuously throughout the game, because it's his job.

If you're a rocket scientist.

Would they disqualify a team from the World Series for a corked bat?

What exactly is the punishment for a corked bat, or even the same team using corked bats? Fines, Ejection? Suspensions? Managers suspended?

I think the corked bat is a worse transgression, but let's call them equal.

I believe it's "You have to use the corked bat." Corked bats are disadvantageous. Reducing the weight of the bat reduces the momentum transferred to the ball.

THen there would be footage from a wide angle, of him doing something on the downlow.

Still, it's a guy standing with these 12 balls, doing this and he is supposed to go unnoticed by cameras, AND officials?

I think you misunderstand how much can go on in plain sight unless you're specifically looking for it. Ask any trained pickpocket.

I can tell you it won't go unnoticed anymore.

It's a guy standing with these twelve balls because IT'S HIS FRIGGING JOB TO STAND THERE WITH THOSE TWELVE BALLS.

And who the hell puts a camera on the ball boy? You know what they call a producer who says "Hey, put three on the ball boy?" They call them "unemployed producers."

How is this such a puzzle to you?

I believe it's "You have to use the corked bat." Corked bats are disadvantageous. Reducing the weight of the bat reduces the momentum transferred to the ball.

TO quote another poster "If it's not an advantage, then why do they do it, and why is it against the rules?"

It's a guy standing with these twelve balls because IT'S HIS FRIGGING JOB TO STAND THERE WITH THOSE TWELVE BALLS.

And who the hell puts a camera on the ball boy? You know what they call a producer who says "Hey, put three on the ball boy?" They call them "unemployed producers."

:lol:

TO quote another poster "If it's not an advantage, then why do they do it, and why is it against the rules?"

In the case of a corked bat? Because it feels like an advantage (because you swing the bat faster), and they're idiots.

I think you misunderstand how much can go on in plain sight unless you're specifically looking for it. Ask any trained pickpocket.

I can tell you it won't go unnoticed anymore.

There would still be footage of a guy doing something to the ball, even if what he is doing is hidden, and there is plenty of archived footage.

how many hours have passed since the official checked the balls for proper inflation? where are the balls from the time checked till field ready? where are they stored? who is the person who sets them there. etc. this is called minutiae. Its the reason this is done that is the issue, NOT THE ACT