New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

Does anyone think that this cheating scandal could lead to Bill Belichick not being the Patriots head coach after this Superbowl?

Robert Kraft strikes me as the kind of guy who might decide that it's time to turn the page and rid his team of the cloud of suspicion. This is the Superbowl, the whole country is going to be told that the Patriots are cheaters for two straight weeks. There's no undoing that. No unringing that bell. The PR for his team will be a constant nightmare going foreword with Belichick until he's permanently gone from the team. I actually think that there is a chance this story just might be the tipping point on ending the Brady/Belichick era. I could see Belichick using his impending departure as motivation to the team by announcing it in the locker room right before the game starts.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is a former Buckeye who has a local radio show here and played for the Pats a couple years ago. He somewhat surprised me in that he matter of factly stated that they do push the envelope as far as they can to get an edge. Ethically or unethically, they are always looking for ways to beat the system. He admitted that they cut corners and don't care He kind of laughed it off. I guess I was surprised he was so open about it but he's done playing and probably figures no one listens to Cbus radio.

And that's the rub with the franchise over the last 15 years and why there will always be an asterisk around them.

I'm sure if you attempted to define it. he'd tell you.

He wants me to read the rules to him? I know what PI is, illegal contact, and complete the catch.

Is he saying this is a problem? I would agree on illegal contact and complete the catch.

I'm just trying to see what his point is. Goodell doesn't make the rules.

Edited by TheTruthHurts

He wants me to read the rules to him? I know what PI is, illegal contact, and complete the catch.

Is he saying this is a problem? I would agree on illegal contact and complete the catch.

I'm just trying to see what his point is

You still haven't defined it.

Ultimately, it is up to the game officials to enforce the rules, including that the ball is at the correct psi. It's on the officials, and anyone claiming that they don't "handle the ball in the same way" is being disingenuous.

Teams and players attempt to skirt the rules (cheat) in all kinds of ways, during and before the games, REGULARLY. When it happens, they blow the whistle and dole out a penalty, or don't allow the situation to continue. The officials are there to enforce the rules. It's on them...

the rules are simple to read. I don't get your point?

My point is that the rules are NOT simple to read. They've become inordinately complex in an attempt to legislate any and all ambiguity out of the game. And perversely, they've had the opposite effect: the rules are so complex that the rules are more ambiguous than ever and more subject to the interpretation and judgement of the officials on the field (why do you think the TV crews have had to introduce analysts to cover the officiating into their broadcasts?)

So "there is no problem in the NFL" is complete crap. There is a BIG problem in the NFL, and his name is Roger Goodell. These situations - the ambiguous, nitpicky, ever-changing rules; the inconsistent off-field policies; the culture where the punishment for wearing the wrong color shoes is far above the punishment for cheating, those are all a result of his bull **** policies and inability to understand that the game is about the players playing the game, not the league's management of it.

You might want to have a chat with Stephon Gilmore, then. I'm pretty sure he doesn't, after the calls he got this season.

And that's the rub with the franchise over the last 15 years and why there will always be an asterisk around them.

i thought of the whole eligible/ineligible Receiver thing they did in the Ravens game. Harbaugh was upset because it wasn't fair gamesmanship. No other team has done it because while technically it's legal according to the rule book, it's bush league because it is not fair to the other team. Now that they have done it, the rules committee will probably look at it and change the rule so it isn't copied. But the Pats don't care; they got out of it what they wanted without repercussion since it's a playoff game and they moved on.

Even the way Brady reacted to the questioning of that "they might want to read the rule book" with a smirk... and the footballs "that's ridiculous" without denying.. Just makes it "look" all the more shady. JMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

My point is that the rules are NOT simple to read. They've become inordinately complex in an attempt to legislate any and all ambiguity out of the game. And perversely, they've had the opposite effect: the rules are so complex that the rules are more ambiguous than ever and more subject to the interpretation and judgement of the officials on the field (why do you think the TV crews have had to introduce analysts to cover the officiating into their broadcasts?)

So "there is no problem in the NFL" is complete crap. There is a BIG problem in the NFL, and his name is Roger Goodell. These situations - the ambiguous, nitpicky, ever-changing rules; the inconsistent off-field policies; the culture where the punishment for wearing the wrong color shoes is far above the punishment for cheating, those are all a result of his bull **** policies and inability to understand that the game is about the players playing the game, not the league's management of it.

You might want to have a chat with Stephon Gilmore, then. I'm pretty sure he doesn't, after the calls he got this season.

Goodell doesn't make the rules.