New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly a different sport but I referee soccer and it very easy to tell when a ball is under inflated. Those are to be 9-10.5 lbs of air maybe that is why it is more noticeable but it jumped in my head immediately. As a soccer ref I am handling a ball much less than a football referee would as well.

That said... Wouldn't 2 lbs of pressure be noticeable when they threw it to each other for spots, or when they placed it on the ground, or when they held it for measuring? It did happen at least once that the official noticed it early in the 3rd so I don't totally buy that they didn't/wouldn't notice. I am asking seriously though as I really have no idea. Going back to soccer it is noticeable most when the ball is bouncing which is something that doesn't happen in football with the regularity it does in soccer.

It's easier with basketballs too...of course, you're dribbling those.

My recollection from handling soccer balls is that it's easy to tell, too - easier than a football. Don't know why, but I'd guess it has to do with how they're constructed (many panels with thinner material on a soccer ball = less rigidity to begin with over a football.)

It will be interesting to see if this kind of accusation opens the gate a bit, and players/coaches start making more frequent accusations against each other. Of course, that might make the league look bad, and unsportsmanlike.

In any of the books from the 90's Bills are there any allusions to "skirting the rules"?

They partied so hard, they weren't even sure what the rules were sometimes...

Wouldn't fix things. Goodell's the damn problem. Suspend him.

There is no "problem" in the NFL. It's the most heavily scrutinize sport in the world and growing. Goodell just happens to be commissioner during the social media era. He also has broke players suing the league. Basically it's crap job for a person's rep.

@ProFootballTalk: Report: Colts had inflation concerns after November game vs. Pats, told NFL http://t.co/hTGIOWl0Ry

disgruntled Bills fans want maximum punishment leveled against the Pats to increase the chances of the Bills beating the Pats

pretty sad that they will take that route, but understandable, when the Pats have been so much better over the years, yep Bills need all the help they can get so ass clown HC can get a win and be able to brag about how great a HC he is

please step away from TSW and look around. It is in no way, shape or form just "disgruntled Bills fans."

@Rachel__Nichols: Voice from the #Broncos weighs in on #DeflateGate http://t.co/t4Srt0f70q

It will be interesting to see if this kind of accusation opens the gate a bit, and players/coaches start making more frequent accusations against each other. Of course, that might make the league look bad, and unsportsmanlike.

In any of the books from the 90's Bills are there any allusions to "skirting the rules"?

Only thing I can think Is Don Beebee's foot being out of bounds in The Comeback. That wasn't cheating, it was just bad officiating. Beebe admit later, after he saw the tape, that it was the wrong call.

@ProFootballTalk: Report: Colts had inflation concerns after November game vs. Pats, told NFL http://t.co/hTGIOWl0Ry

please step away from TSW and look around. It is in no way, shape or form just "disgruntled Bills fans."

@Rachel__Nichols: Voice from the #Broncos weighs in on #DeflateGate http://t.co/t4Srt0f70q

C'mon..............if the Colts had questioned to the NFL Front Office in November about the same thing,

how was it not (at least) minimally checked out in the Championship game ??

That points to incompetence or worse.......................

disgruntled Bills fans want maximum punishment leveled against the Pats to increase the chances of the Bills beating the Pats

pretty sad that they will take that route, but understandable, when the Pats have been so much better over the years, yep Bills need all the help they can get so ass clown HC can get a win and be able to brag about how great a HC he is

LMAO.. now this is a whopper

How can any rational person defend what the Patriots have been doing. Yeah it definitely pisses us off, and yes I definitely want to see the Patriots legacy destroyed.

If I were you rumblefish, I just hang your head in compete shame after this post, and if you won't' or can't then you're no better than the Cheatriots.

A nfl flagship franchise has been cheating again.This is a black eye on the league. This isn't the first time this coach has done something against the rules and he did it in the freakin AFC Championship game! What should be the penalty this time?

I will say that I have wondered why the Patriots were always able to throw the ball so well in bad weather games. I remember the snow game against the Cardinals the year the Cardinals went to the superbowl and Brady was throwing the ball all over the place and Warner couldn't do anything. Makes you wonder how long they've been doing this.

A nfl flagship franchise has been cheating again still.This is a black eye on the league. This isn't the first time this coach has done something against the rules and he did it in the freakin AFC Championship game! What should be the penalty this time?

You think they ever stopped?

One thing for sure every single Patriot fan has no defense against the Cheatriots claim. Anytime they try and show team pride regarding the Bellicheat years they are going to be laughed at, and slammed.

Now the question is how long has this been happening. is it this one incident or have game balls for much longer been under inflated for Brady.

no matter how you slice it the Patriots are a mere asterisk

there is a former Buckeye who has a local radio show here and played for the Pats a couple years ago. He somewhat surprised me in that he matter of factly stated that they do push the envelope as far as they can to get an edge. Ethically or unethically, they are always looking for ways to beat the system. He admitted that they cut corners and don't care He kind of laughed it off. I guess I was surprised he was so open about it but he's done playing and probably figures no one listens to Cbus radio.

there is a former Buckeye who has a local radio show here and played for the Pats a couple years ago. He somewhat surprised me in that he matter of factly stated that they do push the envelope as far as they can to get an edge. Ethically or unethically, they are always looking for ways to beat the system. He admitted that they cut corners and don't care He kind of laughed it off. I guess I was surprised he was so open about it but he's done playing and probably figures no one listens to Cbus radio.

That's what I said before, about their "ineligible receiver" formations - it's legal, since it's not against the rules. But it's intended to work around the substitution rules. That makes it "gaming the system," not actually playing football. And in most spheres, that's considered a form of cheating.

Bills fans have a reason to be disgruntled in this case. The Bills play these guys twice a year and for a 1/3 of their division games. Fans of NFC teams probably don't care as much. I wouldn't be as upset if it was the Rams who were caught.

bad calls have been around forever. The coverage of bad calls has increased. Remember the" just give it to them" game?

I didn't ask you to define "bad call." I asked you to define "pass interference."

I was going to ask you to define "catch"...but that was too damn hard. Nobody, in or out of the league, can agree on that definition.