New England Patriots caught deflating game balls

FireChan

where is Roger to speak to the NFL nation?

Even if its to say any action will not take place until X date and time?

Has the media asked any other current or former coaches if they are aware of ball handling procedures?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

where is Roger to speak to the NFL nation?

Even if its to say any action will not take place until X date and time?

i think rogers problem in the past has been caving to the pressure from nfl nation.... why does he owe a date and time that they will act? Edited by NoSaint

I'd imagine the league is scrambling to figure out exactly what to do before Goddell makes a press conference. The problem is that everyone's patience is thin because he took so long on the Ray Rice thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear from him within the next couple days and he announces the investigation has been completed and lays out the punishment(if there is any) right then and there.

I'd imagine the league is scrambling to figure out exactly what to do before Goddell makes a press conference. The problem is that everyone's patience is thin because he took so long on the Ray Rice thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if we hear from him within the next couple days and he announces the investigation has been completed and lays out the punishment(if there is any) right then and there.

My point is that there is no more investigation. It is a negotiation by now. The league is going to hand over to the masses anyone who they think they can get away with and still try to keep precious legacies intact.

Just some food for thought on fumbling and the pats*

Benjarvus Green Ellis: 4 years with pats* 0 fumbles, 0 fumbles lost... 2 years with Bengals 5 fumbles 4 lost (discrepancy)

Legarette Blount: 21 games with pats* 3 fumbles, 2 lost.... 51 games with other teams 7 fumbles 5 lost (minimal difference)

Danny Woodhead: 45 games with the pats* 2 fumbles 1 lost... 29 games without 2 fumbles 2 lost (incomplete - if he goes next season without a fumble it would tie his pats* stats

Sammy Morris: 4 season with pats* 3 fumbles 2 lost... 8 seasons without 8 fumbles 4 lost (minimal difference)

This seems to lend some credence to those saying that the Pats* target players who don't fumble.

To help settle the issue and end speculation. To slow the gossip train from running full speed ahead?

If there's one time to not act swiftly, it's this.

He can't come out and say there will be punishment and then recant this two days later when new evidence is found. Can you imagine the uproar?

It's pretty apparent something went down. They need to take their time and find out what it is and how to address it. I doubt this will happen before the big game. I also wouldn't be surprised when Goodell is ready to speak, he doesn't canvas some of the other influential owners for the necessary support if he takes harsh action against the Pats i.e. Bob Kraft.

kind of how i feel. its nice to have some of the counterpoint. atleast then when we complain about what happens, we arent complaining about ridiculous stuff if theres some balance to the discussion. i feel like enough people have pitchforks, that i dont need to grab one myself.

Hello gentlemen!

To help settle the issue and end speculation. To slow the gossip train from running full speed ahead?

im pretty sure the nfl needs to not worry about your gossip, and instead simply handling their business. it would solve a lot of their problems the last few years.

Just some food for thought on fumbling and the pats*

Benjarvus Green Ellis: 4 years with pats* 0 fumbles, 0 fumbles lost... 2 years with Bengals 5 fumbles 4 lost (discrepancy)

Legarette Blount: 21 games with pats* 3 fumbles, 2 lost.... 51 games with other teams 7 fumbles 5 lost (minimal difference)

Danny Woodhead: 45 games with the pats* 2 fumbles 1 lost... 29 games without 2 fumbles 2 lost (incomplete - if he goes next season without a fumble it would tie his pats* stats

Sammy Morris: 4 season with pats* 3 fumbles 2 lost... 8 seasons without 8 fumbles 4 lost (minimal difference)

This seems to lend some credence to those saying that the Pats* target players who don't fumble.

thanks for looking! I know i peeked at welker, who had only 1 fumble with the broncos as a curiosity last night, but didnt want to go through a large set of guys. likewise doesnt prove anything, but is an interesting counterpoint to keep in mind possibly. Edited by NoSaint

Why on earth would he want to stop all this talk about one of the teams headed to the SB when there is another week to build more hype for the SB?

I don't think you and others here understand how this works.

Why on earth would he want to stop all this talk about one of the teams headed to the SB when there is another week to build more hype for the SB?

Undeniably this is bringing more attention to the game. The pats* have done the impossible and made the Seahawks out to be the good guys in all of this. Regular news broadcasts have been covering this topic bring ing in casual observers and giving them a rooting interest. This case is falling in the "there is no such thing as bad press" for the league. The pats* however are kind of on the other end of the spectrum.

It's in the rule book that the balls have to be between 12.5 & 13.5. Refs check the balls or are supposed to before the game. Each team has their own balls. If 11 of 12 were under inflated by halftime....someone did it after the refs checked before the game. Who told someone to do it? Brady? If it's not a big deal, why is it in the rule book? If everyone does it, why is it in the rule book? If it gives an unfair advantage to one team, it's cheating. It's against the rules. If it's against "the spirit" of the rules, it's cheating. Why is it always the Patriots pulling some underhanded crap? Why have the Patriots been cheating since 2001? For the fun of it? The last time they got caught, they lost one first round pick and were fined. Then the evidence was destroyed. How much have they done that they didn't get caught? I'd bet they started taping again after the first half of the KC game. How much longer do they get away with it?

Did the refs actually check this time? If not, why not? I suspect these are questions for the investigation. If the refs didn't check, I suspect the refs excuse will be that referees league-wide don't check. Some statements indicate that teams know this and see the oversight/failure as an opportunity for gamesmanship. Also, if the refs didn't check, I suspect the Patriots are largely off the hook - again.

But if they admit the refs didn't check, then that puts the league in an even worse situation....because if there's any group with less credibility right now than the Patriots, it's the refs. Basically the league would have to admit that its own referees -- the best of them, the ones who were working the conference championships -- don't follow the rulebook. Imagine the fallout from THAT.

The league is in a bind. Of its own making.

Did the refs actually check this time? If not, why not? I suspect these are questions for the investigation. If the refs didn't check, I suspect the refs excuse will be that referees league-wide don't check. Some statements indicate that teams know this and see the oversight/failure as an opportunity for gamesmanship. Also, if the refs didn't check, I suspect the Patriots are largely off the hook - again.

it seems the league was aware they were going to check EXTRA before sunday. allegedly they took balls out of rotation in the first half and measured everything mid game as a pre-planned event. if they were worried and going to do that, one would think they didnt forget to check pre-game.

Edited by NoSaint

it seems the league was aware they were going to check EXTRA before sunday. allegedly they took balls out of rotation in the first half and measured everything mid game as a pre-planned event. if they were worried and going to do that, one would think they didnt forget to check pre-game.

Thats a really good point I have note heard brought up.

I didn't say it would stop all of the deflategate speculations. It would add credence that the shield is doing something and not ignoring it.

Socks down, shirt untucked. IMMEDIATE $ fine

Crotch Grab - Player already fined

Hit to the head - Player(s) already fined

Possible equipment tampering... Sound of Crickets?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I just can't buy this Saint. It takes less than 10 seconds to check a ball. Why in Gods green earth would they let the Pats play with bad balls in the Confernce Championship game.

Can you imagine if the Pats went up 20-3 in first half with bad balls, then 2nd half is Colts 14-0 ??

Sp Pats going to SB only because of bad balls?

Thats a bigger scandal and mess than anything they are dealing with now

Edited by plenzmd1

I didn't say it would stop all of the deflategate speculations. It would add credence that the shield is doing something and not ignoring it.

Socks down, shirt untucked. IMMEDIATE $ fine

Crotch Grab - Player already fined

Hit to the head - Player(s) already fined

Possible equipment tampering... Sound of Crickets?

those are CBA negotiated penalties. they already enforced all the offsides and holding calls in the games too.

this is a situation where there isnt a simple circumstance and flat outcome. They are investigating and weighing punishments. that rogers not cc'ing you on internal emails doesnt mean they are ignoring it. it seems they went out of their way to create the situation, so im not sure why you are worried about them hiding it now?

I just can't buy this Saint. It takes less than 10 seconds to check a ball. Why in Gods green earth would they let the Pats play with bad balls in the Confernce Championship game.

Can you imagine if the Pats went up 20-3 in first half with bad balls, then 2nd half is Colts 14-0 Pats??

Thats a bigger scandal and mess than anything they are dealing with now

The DQwell articles seemed to have that tidbit buried in it - he mentioned in the interviews that in the first half their was a delay and both teams were using colts balls. didnt really talk about when or anything, but i was surprised that it was an afterthought thrown into the article and not the headline. Whether or not he reported it hardly seems like the more significant of the two things he was saying.

Yup -- get ready for the biggest TV audience of all time next Sunday.