Keyboard question

Beerball

Does anyone actually know what each of the symbols on the number row are without looking? I can get most of them, but if I ever need to use a $ or %, I need to look down to see where they are.

Does anyone actually know what each of the symbols on the number row are without looking? I can get most of them, but if I ever need to use a $ or %, I need to look down to see where they are.

That's why I like a keyboard with a 10 key setup. Those I can get pretty much without looking

Why do I have to hit the "shift" key to use the ??? key???

We use ??? much more often than /// don't we???

Seem strange to anyone else/// ???

Because when the QUERTY keyboard was set up, nobody used "?" all that much in typed correspondence.

The keyboard is designed the way it is to slow typing down, not to speed it up. That is why you have to reach to type the most popular letters, e and i. They also come from different directions. Back in the day, letters were located at the end of an arm that swung up and hit a typewriter ribbon. The location of the letters prevented the keys from jamming. However, the long/awkward symbols one needs to reach for are placed for ease, and more /'s than ?'s were used at the turn of the century, when the keyboard was designed. Much as we would never use a measuring system of inches and feet vs metric centimeters and meters today, if the keyboard were designed based on today's technology, it would be designed differently.