3 Rules I want to see changed based on Yesterdays Games

plenzmd1

How about both teams should get the ball in OT (regardless of whether one team scores a TD) or play a full quarter?

I hated to see that game end without Green Bay at least getting the ball on offense once.

Play a full Qtr..I agree

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How about both teams should get the ball in OT (regardless of whether one team scores a TD) or play a full quarter?

I hated to see that game end without Green Bay at least getting the ball on offense once.

Nah...need to have some sense of urgency. Otherwise you get to 5:00 left in the quarter and teams go conservative, knowing another quarter will start. Plus, there's the whole stamina and injury issue.

Here's the problem with guaranteeing each team a possession: the first team scores a TD -- do they go for one or two? Not really fair, unless you eliminate the PAT altogether for OT touchdowns -- and then you're "changing the game" again.

I actually like the college system. Each team starts at a certain yardline, and after the 2nd OT teams have to go for two on any TDs scored.

Go back to the old rule in the playoffs. First team that scores, wins.

Rule change desperately needed....get rid of kickoffs. It has become the most boring play in football. After a score, the other team gets the ball at the 20...go.

The only thing that makes it boring is the commercial after it. Plus, later in the year, the ball doesn't travel as far in the cold, which leads to more returns and exciting plays.

And there have been Bills games where we have gotten hard hit on the returner inside the 15 and the defense gets pumped and forces a 3 and out or a turnover, or where we get a decent return and actually managed to get into field goal range! The kick return can honestly be a real tone setter for a drive and i would sorely miss it and the little momentum swings it offers.

YES, especially in an era where most games among top teams are shoot-outs, NBA style, and often the winning team is the one who got the ball last before the clock struck zero.

It's absurd that Green Bay didn't touch the ball offensively yesterday, and I didn't really care who won. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth and feels like a mickey mouse fake resolution to the game.

I agree. It's almost like if baseball's rules were 1st team to score wins and the visiting team is always up first.

While they are at it; they completely changed how they call illegal contact, holding and PI in the playoffs. It was even fairly inconsistent during the season. I really don't care which way they choose to take it but for the love of Pete... Make it consistent!!!!

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

1) All personal foul calls are enforced as if it was a dead ball foul. That free hit was just BS.

Are you talking about that hit on Mathews after the sack? That was after the play and usually they tack it on. I didn't completely understand why that was different except that the Patriots were involved.

Go back to the old rule in the playoffs. First team that scores, wins.

Rule change desperately needed....get rid of kickoffs. It has become the most boring play in football. After a score, the other team gets the ball at the 20...go.

Your first point: a horrible idea, according to me.

Your second point: a horrible idea, according to the TV networks who pay way too much to air NFL football, and who love the TV commercial time created by kick-offs after scores.

Play another quarter and no punting allowed. Most points wins.

The whole no punting allowed thing is kind of mickey mouse, but that would be exciting!

It's like NHL OT in regular season: 4 on 4. Also mickey mouse, but man, it's entertaining hockey.

Or if you get penalties and it becomes 3 on 3! That is TRULY exciting hockey! Totally mickey mouse and totally exciting.

I like it. No punts allowed in OT. Go for the throat! And if you don't get it, be careful...b/c you your throat will be cut next.

Guys -- the NFL will never go to a "play another quarter" system. It's a league that is all about safety, remember? (wink wink)

It pains me to say this, but the NCAA got it right. Equal number of possessions for each team, and after 2OT "sessions" a team must go for two points when they score a TD.

First off, I think the rule for scoring a touchdown is pretty clear cut, if the nose of the ball breaks the plane, it's a touchdown. Pretty easy to call and review with the cameras on the goal line unless its a big pile up with the runner somewhere in there.

BUT, I can see how this can be a pet peeve, it's just wayyyyy to easy to score from inside the 1, so many high percentage things you can do from a dive up the middle to an easy outside-inside slant for the receivers.

How do you feel about receivers making tip-toe catches in the back of the endzone or when the player is going out of bounds but he reaches the ball all the way across the goal line before he goes out, kind of like what Sammy Watkins did Week 2 against the Dolphins? Are they in the endzone long enough for it to count as a touchdown or is enough of the ball across the goal line?

It kind of sounds like you want it like Rugby, where the player actually has to touch the ball down to the ground for the points to count. I think there's a reason why the founders of American Football changed that rule to just breaking the plane.

The rule is clear cut for what counts at a touch down, on paper.

The interpretation and application of that rule, in real time, made by humans with eyes is a different story. It's often very tough to say what is or is not a TD and this is often ruled incorrectly on the field.

For whatever reason, I don't have a problem with the 2 feet in at the back of the end zone catch; that's a TD.

The breaking the plane crap? No. The "he stuck his arm out and touched the pylon at the front corner while he got knocked out of bounds or threw himself out of bounds" crap? NO.

I know nothing of rugby, but yes, I do kind of like this "if you can't possess a piece of the end zone and control the ball long enough to touch the ball to the ground, no TD" idea.

I'm sure the NFL would hate this, b/c, as a general rule, they want to see scoring on the rise all the time. I think high scoring shoot-outs appeal to most fans. I prefer defense in all sports, and ADORE baseball games between 2 stud pitchers who give up 3 hits among them and someone wins 1-0.

Sports in which scoring can be accomplished, at will, whenever needed, are boring. This is why I don't watch the NBA. And love soccer.

When I was growing up, you weren't allowed to push your offensive teammate forward and now the Patriots blatantly do it every time Brady does his patented QB sneak. What am I missing on that one?

Guys -- the NFL will never go to a "play another quarter" system. It's a league that is all about safety, remember? (wink wink)

It pains me to say this, but the NCAA got it right. Equal number of possessions for each team, and after 2OT "sessions" a team must go for two points when they score a TD.

Nope. I think the NFL OT rules are perfect. The last thing I'd want to see in the NFL is a game that goes into OT at 31-31 end up as a 67-61 final. What do you do about the statistics then? Guys could have multiple OT TD's.

This is all too funny.

Suddenly many woke up and realized the rules for OT in the NFL and they don't like them (or what they really don't like is the team that won in OT).

And the "occupy the end zone" stuff is nuts. ANd the 22-22 "shootout".

Priceless.

Your first point: a horrible idea, according to me.

Your second point: a horrible idea, according to the TV networks who pay way too much to air NFL football, and who love the TV commercial time created by kick-offs after scores.

Point 1...If you lose the coin flip and want to win the game, stop the team that does win the coin flip.

Point 2...Well since I don't own a TV network, it would be a great idea. ;) There are always opportunities to jam commercials into a 3-1/2 hour broadcast other than after a kickoff. How do you think they handle it in a game that is 3-0 instead of 42-35?

Sometimes the NCAA gets it right. I can't understand why the NFL doesn't adopt the college rule re: stopping the clock after 1st downs until the chains have been moved. The NFL likes to encourage "fantastic finishes" . well this would do just that. As a bonus, it would pretty much eliminate spiking the ball.

When I was growing up, you weren't allowed to push your offensive teammate forward and now the Patriots blatantly do it every time Brady does his patented QB sneak. What am I missing on that one?

It was called "Aiding the Runner" as I recall. It is NEVER called anymore. Is it even still a rule? ML got a few first downs in the 1st game that way as well. I see it in every game I watch. I would think in the interest of "player safety" this would be a good one to call.

The NCAA OT rule is goofy. First team gets a TD. Second team goes for it on every 4th down. Why not? At first I thought it was a good idea. But the more I watch the more I hate it.

Also, why do these "franchise QB"s always call tails? Nobody calls tails. Peyton did it earlier in the year vs Seattle and then Rodgers does the same with the same results?

Am I the only one who thinks that this overtime rule is fair? I had no problem with the old overtime rule as well. Defense is part of your team, shouldn't be that hard to hold another team too a punt or field goal at the worst. If you want the ball back, stop them. Defensive players get paid too

I don't have a problem with the rules. If GB's coaching staff and execution had been better, they'd have won in a route. That game wasn't decided in OT.