Vikings new stadium needs $60m of 'bird-safe' glass

Could be an issue when the seahawks, ravens, eagles, falcons and cardinals come to town...

We need to be environmentally friendly, in all aspects. This isn't the ignorant 1900s. Respect.

Imo

Edited by Leroi

Jesus. We need to spend 25-60 million to protect birds from themselves? Man I try to be sympathetic in many cases but this is ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it? The stadium built as is will be a giant glass death trap for birds who can't see the glass. Saying its to protect them from themselves makes its sound like they are somehow at fault which is completely false.

The only reason the cost is 25-60 million is due to the amount of glass they decided to include in the design of the stadium. A different design and the cost wouldn't be that high.

Edited by Max997

What's ridiculous about it? The stadium built as is will be a giant glass death trap for birds who can't see the glass.

The only reason the cost is 25-60 million is due to the amount of glass they decided to include in the design of the stadium. A different design and the cost wouldn't be that high.

So there are enough financial issues in this country all over and now we need to drop that much cash to save birds lives? Sorry that's just ridiculous and idiotic to me.

I'm all for protecting wildlife.

Doesn't it seem a bit fishy that these windows would cost sixty million dollars????

Really?

Not unless you know how much glass is included in the stadium in general. I'm betting the cost of the glass they planned on using wasn't cheap either so the question is how much more would it hv been to include the correct glass from the start.

So there are enough financial issues in this country all over and now we need to drop that much cash to save birds lives? Sorry that's just ridiculous and idiotic to me.

How are the financial issues of this country even relevent when we are talking about a 1.1 Billion dollar stadium being built? Talk about ridiculous and idiotic.

Edited by Max997

What's ridiculous about it? The stadium built as is will be a giant glass death trap for birds who can't see the glass. Saying its to protect them from themselves makes its sound like they are somehow at fault which is completely false.

And how big a problem is "birds flying in to glass?" How many birds is this stadium expected to kill? The thing's just outside downtown Minneapolis...full of glass-clad buildings. Remind me how much of a birdpocalypse buildings like that casue?

And how big a problem is "birds flying in to glass?" How many birds is this stadium expected to kill? The thing's just outside downtown Minneapolis...full of glass-clad buildings. Remind me how much of a birdpocalypse buildings like that casue?

I think this just made my day.

Glass buildings are the second largest killer of songbirds (domestic cats are #1) in the midwest migration songbird population. Its a bigger deal than most smart phone types would ever imagine. Brown-headed cowbirds are another huge problem to the songbird population whereby they remove the songbird eggs and replace them with their own. Cowbirds are hedge-row birds but now with all the farmland there are no deep woods and the songbirds breed in the hedge rows where the cowbirds are. Yup, learn more about the world around you. Life is more than meaningless football and smart phones.

Experimentation with different colored lights is under way in hopes the birds will see and respond positively. Basically bug lites...but only for birds.