Bills hire Sanjay Lal as WR coach

YoloinOhio

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the 49er denied us the chance to interview Ronald Curry for the WR job. Apparently he was the only position coach that Roman wanted from the 49ers, according to this article.

I wonder if that includes Solari, although I thought I read that Solari wasn't coming back.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/source-49ers-deny-bills-hiring-curry?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

I'd like him more if he coached Calvin Johnson. Then our guys would play like Calvin Johnson. #howthingswork

Now I'm starting to wonder if Superheroes like Spiderman and Thor and those kinda dudes have Superhero Coaches, and maybe we could even look into one of them. They can make dudes fly!

Now I'm starting to wonder if Superheroes like Spiderman and Thor and those kinda dudes have Superhero Coaches, and maybe we could even look into one of them. They can make dudes fly!

im shocked that Tj Graham and Jeremy Kerley didn't make the Pro Bowl. #sanjayfail

They aren't great because of Sanjay?

Of course! If he was any good, he could take a 5'1", 270 lb WR with no hand-eye coordination and coach him into the Pro Bowl.

The talent of the WRs he had to work with in New Jersey is no excuse for his lack of success.

Rex is an idiot for hiring this guy. The fans on this board should approve all position coaches to avoid these kinds of gross lapses in judgement.

I'd like him more if he coached Calvin Johnson. Then our guys would play like Calvin Johnson. #howthingswork

Snideness aside, I wonder how much Donnie Henderson is responsible for the improved play of our young safeties, and even McLuv'n?

To me, a good position coach is one who takes a young guy of average ability and helps mold him into an above average player. Aaron Williams was just a guy (albeit playing out of position) for his first two seasons. I'd bet that Henderson has a lot to do with his improved play since then...

Snideness aside, I wonder how much Donnie Henderson is responsible for the improved play of our young safeties, and even McLuv'n?

To me, a good position coach is one who takes a young guy of average ability and helps mold him into an above average player. Aaron Williams was just a guy (albeit playing out of position) for his first two seasons. I'd bet that Henderson has a lot to do with his improved play since then...

You are still talking about a 1st rd pick and a 2nd rd pick. It isn't like neither has talent. I do like Henderson a lot but the switch of AW to safety and the great pass rush that emerged to make the secondary look better also helped those guys.

You are still talking about a 1st rd pick and a 2nd rd pick. It isn't like neither has talent. I do like Henderson a lot but the switch of AW to safety and the great pass rush that emerged to make the secondary look better also helped those guys.

WR is the second hardest position to break in at after QB, regardless of how much natural physical talent you have. Sammie's got God-given skills, but it takes more than that to be a top flight wideout. IMO, coaching is critical to 'baking the cake' rather than just mixing the ingredients.

And I don't attribute all of AW's (or the secondary's) improvement to the pass rush. His run D has also improved as the light bulb has come on for him. Being in position, having better recognition skills, improved technique and understanding of what the other ten guys are doing...to me, a great deal of that is on the coaching staff.

As Bills fans, we've seen a lot of crappy coaching over the years. So the discipline and efficiency that the D exhibited, particularly in the second half of the season, was IMO a big part of the players and coaches being in sync and on the same page...

Edited by Lurker

Sure but to pretend that a guy is going to reach everyone or that we know much about most positional coaches is silly. The guy that saw him every day likes him and that's a good endorsement. I'll agree with your sentiment but I think most fans don't do well balancing expectations as you get lower and lower on the coaching tiers.

Hated among jets fans. Hated among raiders fans (his previous post). Third time's a charm?

You're digging kinda deep if you're taking out you're frustrations as a fan on the WR coach. Can't say I have ever hated a WR coach.

Sure but to pretend that a guy is going to reach everyone or that we know much about most positional coaches is silly. The guy that saw him every day likes him and that's a good endorsement. I'll agree with your sentiment but I think most fans don't do well balancing expectations as you get lower and lower on the coaching tiers.

Still, I think you can judge a position coach on how well his players are performing, improving and not making the same mistakes over and over.

We've seen some good position coaches come through Buffalo over the years (Bobby April, Ted Cottrell) as well as a lot of mediocre ones. I'll reserve judgement on some of the hires, but like any high performing organization, you look for past performance as a predictor of future success.

For the newbie guy's, the jury's still out IMO...

Henderson was the guy who convinced Robey to sign with the Bills and was responsible for his quick ascension into an NFL player and playmaker. He's the best position coach we have I think, including Pepper Johnson if he stays.

Henderson was the guy who convinced Robey to sign with the Bills and was responsible for his quick ascension into an NFL player and playmaker. He's the best position coach we have I think, including Pepper Johnson if he stays.

Agreed. Which is what I look for when we hire a guy from another team. What did his position group (or even a player) do that was well beyond what was expected?

Not sure any of the Jets skill position players stood out in a positive way last year. The way Decker underwhelmed and Harvin imploded (besides the dismal QB play) was a yellow flag for me...

Still, I think you can judge a position coach on how well his players are performing, improving and not making the same mistakes over and over.

We've seen some good position coaches come through Buffalo over the years (Bobby April, Ted Cottrell) as well as a lot of mediocre ones. I'll reserve judgement on some of the hires, but like any high performing organization, you look for past performance as a predictor of future success.

For the newbie guy's, the jury's still out IMO...

I don't disagree that you can look at on the field progress. How many posters roasting him do you think looked at Kerley on all 22 and assessed whether he got sharper on his routes, and how many simply looked for guys that did well on their fantasy teams though?

How many posters roasting him do you think looked at Kerley on all 22 and assessed whether he got sharper on his routes, and how many simply looked for guys that did well on their fantasy teams though?

Probabaly a lot, since this is TSW after all. :D

That stuff's the buzzing background noise to the good discussions we're still lucky enough to enjoy around here from time to time...

Probabaly a lot, since this is TSW after all. :D

That stuff's the buzzing background noise to the good discussions we're still lucky enough to enjoy around here from time to time...

We do get some good chatter and I'm sure as time passes we will catch some articles and breakdowns and such but the immediate "what?!?!? Those wrs suck!!!! I hate him!!!!" stuff 5 minutes after the announcement is rough.

Nothing exciting stands out and it might be a bad friend hire or it could be a situation where he made terrible talent marginally functional.