The Five Most Overrated Players In The NFL

sferris

Hmmm ... A poster with only three posts, starting at least two threads, both with links to questionably written articles?

My first and last clue was the shortened URL with wp.me in the address. The dude is just linking to his own Wordpress blog.

EDIT: all three posts started threads, all pointing to Wordpress blog. I won't even click given I can tell the content from the threads. Stop giving him free advertising ... And bonus traffic.

Why what's wrong with him trying to get some traffic? He did it in a similar way a normal poster would so pretty smart and he's not doing anything out of line.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for me, Peyton Manning is top 5

great stats but 1 title

Awesome criteria there. By that logic, Favre, Young, Warner, Brees, Unitas and Namath were all drastically over rated........let alone Kelly, Marino and Moon who never even had 1 title.

Very few players can thrive in a bad situation. Fred Jackson can still produce behind a bad O line, but Spiller can't. Behind a great O line, Spiller would be a much more dangerous RB than Fred. A guy's got to be in the right spot for things to work out.

Another difference between Fred and CJ is the ability to play hurt. Spiller is fantastic when everything is right, when his wheels work, but his capability falls off quickly when something isn't right. Fred and most other backs find a way to keep their performance pretty high even when nicked. And guess what, most players are nicked most of the time.

If Spiller leaves, look for him to go to a situation where he can be productive, and then watch as he rips a couple of dazzling runs a game, gets 1200 yards for a season. That doesn't mean the Bills make a mistake if they let him go. They aren't going to have a great O line for at least a couple of years, and by that time CJ will be too old to have the acceleration that made him special in 2012. And unfortunately I think Fred will be retired by the time that great O line shows up. I am so sorry for Fred that when he had his chance to really excel a couple of years ago, he got hurt and missed that chance. I think it's clear that (a) he's still pretty effective but (b) not as much as 2 or 3 years ago.

Awesome criteria there. By that logic, Favre, Young, Warner, Brees, Unitas and Namath were all drastically over rated........let alone Kelly, Marino and Moon who never even had 1 title.

it's funny no one talks about those guys being the greatest QB ever minus Marino. Peyton is always talked about being the greatest QB in NFL history yet when it mattered most he rarely came up big. Some players get the most out of what they have, according to the main stream media, Manning was awesome, he didn't need a offensive coach, he was the OC on the field. Heck, the team didn't even need to change formations ever, but perhaps, had he been more willing to accept coaching and allows them to help him, he wouldn't be a guy with massive stats and a horrible playoff record. Marino, Kelly, Moon rarely played with a decent defense let alone a great one. Indy several times had better defenses than the Bills or Miami had. Is Peyton a HOF QB, yes, so are those others, but he should have won more titles, based on ALL of his success.

Very few players can thrive in a bad situation. Fred Jackson can still produce behind a bad O line, but Spiller can't. Behind a great O line, Spiller would be a much more dangerous RB than Fred.

How do you know this?

I couldn't disagree more. The only time Spiller's good is when he has huge holes and no one around him, or as they call it, in space.

Any RB is much better behind a great OL. But even behind a great OL you still need to get those tough yards and often take what that line gives you, Spiller sucks at that.

Spiller gone for 8 games with a broken collarbone and freaking fantasy foosball fans throw a conniption that he didn't produce.

Maybe the fact that he averaged 3.8 ypc this season weighs in somewhere.

He was terrible this season in every game except for week 2 against Miami where he was moderately good.

I will never understand this infatuation with a player that has never come close to living up to the hype. Five seasons and people still think he's going to turn from a pumpkin into butterfly.

Watch, he'll go to the Jets, as he threatens, and all of a sudden he'll suck according to everyone here.

it's funny no one talks about those guys being the greatest QB ever minus Marino. Peyton is always talked about being the greatest QB in NFL history yet when it mattered most he rarely came up big. Some players get the most out of what they have, according to the main stream media, Manning was awesome, he didn't need a offensive coach, he was the OC on the field. Heck, the team didn't even need to change formations ever, but perhaps, had he been more willing to accept coaching and allows them to help him, he wouldn't be a guy with massive stats and a horrible playoff record. Marino, Kelly, Moon rarely played with a decent defense let alone a great one. Indy several times had better defenses than the Bills or Miami had. Is Peyton a HOF QB, yes, so are those others, but he should have won more titles, based on ALL of his success.

You are doing two things here...

Firstly you are placing a much higher level of expectation and judgement on someone who is considered an edge better than most of his peers (HOF level QBs). Manning won his SB with a terrible defense and has been back twice more with two different teams. It is a huge stretch to call him a top 5 over rated player with those credentials.

Secondly, you are arguing that he is over rated based upon his SB wins, which I think is totally reasonable. Marino(the Manning of his day) was subject to such criticism....and rightly so. To claim Manning is in the top 5 over rated players however is rediculous. If he is in the top 5 then Marino must be the most over rated player of all time.

Also, you seem to be ignoring the concept that Mannings current abilities are regularly being questioned, thus he isn't rated today as highly as he was in his prime......plus sometimes when people talk about him they are refferencing his career, not just his current abilities(this was the same with all the greats). You yourself are rating him as such, on his career as you see it rather than his top 4 position as a QB this season?

He was a total liability on the field the last two years. Terrible in protection, fumbles, and consistent negative yardage runs.

Of course CJ has multiple limitations. My main concern is the offense has to limit his touches because the probability of him getting injured increases. He just cannot carry a load. In saying that if he's on your team it seems you could find ways to use him and that's what frustrated me most of the time. His homerun ability is without question and as the article suggests he's special in terms of acceleration. In summary, if he's on my team I find a way to use his explosiveness - if he's a free agent I don't touch him because I have to devote way too much time figuring out when I can and can't use him.

1. Kapernick

2. Julius Thomas

3. Jarius Byrd

4. Matt Stafford

5. Keenan Allen

My list.

You must dislike Allen for some weird reason. I think he's only been in the league for 2 years. I did a 10 second wiki seach. 1800 yards 148 receptions 12 tds.

That's pretty good. Not hall of fame good. But respectable.

No one is elevating him to megatron status. I have heard good things from him. But by no means is he overated yet. He's not on anyones "sign him to a mega deal radar". Now if teams wanted to give up 2 1st round picks for him, then I could understand an overating. But not yet.

From your list the only one I think is overated is Jbyrd. He's a ball hawk. That's it. And he has not been consistent.

Guess who made the list for the Bills?

Ranking The Top Five Overrated Players In The NFL http://wp.me/p4pK1g-1r6

Don't know how I didn't notice but you are called SFerris. Your article is posted by SFerris. Why are you here peddling your own stuff for your bleacher report style stuff?

We don't need that here. If you wanna discuss Bills football, do so here and don't take traffic away from this site.

This is crap and I'm blocking the OP. Don't play with TSW schmuck.

Little harsh to a newbie imo.

Don't know how I didn't notice but you are called SFerris. Your article is posted by SFerris. Why are you here peddling your own stuff for your bleacher report style stuff?

We don't need that here. If you wanna discuss Bills football, do so here and don't take traffic away from this site.

Oh I get it now. Nice work detective.

In the fantasy football perspective they are using yea is was very overrated.

Then why are defensive players included? How can spiller be over rated from a pure football perspective when no one really talks about him that much, and his FA dollars aren't being projected anywhere near top RB?

Anyway, here's mine:

1. P Manning

Come up lame in too many big games. Weak arm and not nearly as versatile and dynamic as peers like Brady and rodgers.

2. Wilfork

Absolute shell (fat one) of his former self. But the announcers keep pretending hes still a force out there. Why can't they say the obvious?

3. Fitzgerald

Have to agree his production doesnt match the reverance any more

4. Kaep

He's really regressed and it looks like it will be hard to turn his game around

5. Megatron

Not a force like he used to be. Too easily contained. Many others have passed him like Dez. And really never was as dangerous as guys time like Moss and Rice

Honorable mention

Crabtree

- doesnt justify his place in WR ranking

Talib

- not true shutdown. Not physical enough and too easily dinged up with contact

Welker

- quickly fading into irrelevance

Edited by JTSP

Matt Stafford

Colin Kaepernick before this year

Larry Fitzgerald

Percy Harvin

Aqib Talib

Polamalu

Two players who I also find surprisingly overrated are Matt Forte and Demaryius Thomas. Forte always seems like nothing special, the numbers are there though. Thomas is a product of Manning and still 1 dimensional, wouldn't want him as a #1 WR. Easier to run down the field when J.Thomas, Welker and Emanuel Sanders are causing havoc on a defense.

WOW! My friendliness overcame my reasonableness. Good catch my dear JBoyst!

• 3 weeks later...

total horse poo.

first of all, to be over rated, you have to be overpaid.

jay cutler, mike wallace, jairus byrd, wes welker, riley cooper, chris johnson, desean jackson, jared allen, golden tate.

What? Who rates Riley Cooper highly? This is my vote for random post of the offseason. He is properly rated. And my god, desean jackson is not overrated. Edited by metzelaars_lives