High School Coach Suspended After His Team Won 161-2

truth on hold

A high school girls basketball coach in California has been suspended for a rare reason: Winning by too large a margin. Arroyo Valley's Michael Anderson kept his foot on the gas pedal even as his team went up by 60 early in the game against a winless opponent.

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/heroes-villains/201501/high-school-girls-basketball-coach-suspended-after-his-team-won-161-2#sthash.36VWR6qt.dpuf

Edited by JTSP

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A high school girls basketball coach in California has been suspended for a rare reason: Winning by too large a margin. Arroyo Valley's Michael Anderson kept his foot on the gas pedal even as his team went up by 60 early in the game against a winless opponent.

http://yahoo.thepostgame.com/blog/heroes-villains/201501/high-school-girls-basketball-coach-suspended-after-his-team-won-161-2#sthash.36VWR6qt.dpuf

Sorry about your loss. Which one of those two points did you score?

didn't Jauron say something like this after the blowout losses to Pats?

"People shouldn’t feel sorry for my team," opposing coach Dale Chung of Bloomington High told The Sporting News. "They should feel sorry for his (Anderson’s) team, which isn’t learning the game the right way."

Why are there always stories like this every year?

I haven't read the article yet, but shouldn't there be some high school rule where you call it a game when the point differential is X?

There should be a rule where a kids coach isn't a douche. It's simple really.

Why are there always stories like this every year?

I haven't read the article yet, but shouldn't there be some high school rule where you call it a game when the point differential is X?

There should be a rule where a kids coach isn't a douche. It's simple really.

Why is the blame always placed on the coach of the winning team in cases like this? Isn't it just as 'douchey' for the coach of the losing team to not simply forfeit before the score gets completely out of hand?

A little more info about what happened:

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/arroyo-valley-coach-michael-anderson-suspended-after-beating-bloomington-high-161-2-011515

Anderson said he did approach the referees with about six minutes remaining in the third quarter to begin a running clock, but, in accordance with high school rules, officials did not use the running clock until the fourth quarter. He said he benched his starters at the half and instructed his players not to shoot the ball until the shot clock got inside of 7 seconds in the third and fourth quarters.
Edited by ICanSleepWhenI'mDead

Why is the blame always placed on the coach of the winning team in cases like this? Isn't it just as 'douchey' for the coach of the losing team to not simply forfeit before the score gets completely out of hand?

Stay down Luke. Just stay down, Luke.

That's on the score keeper/clock op! Rules or no rules, the clock would have started when it first got ugly.

Heck, my son's lacrosse team was getting slayed @ HOME. I was up in the booth filming (subsequently burned) and the clock op/score keeper started a running clock practically from the second quarter on. There was no looking back from that point.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

if the idea was to protect the losing team's psyche, then their coach quitting is bad too

Edited by JTSP

Let's also tell the rest...he ran a full court trap the entire first half which ended with the score 101-1 (IIRC). He didn't think that his second stringers would play so well in the second half, but, he did think that he should press when up by 100 just in case the opponent made the greatest comeback since ever.

There should be some sort of mercy rule in all scholastic sports. I don't want to hear any of the "in the real world, there are no mercy rules," crap. It's high school girls basketball, which is usually the sport where these routs occur.

The coach of the winning team should be fired. He failed on a lot of levels.

The coach of the losing team should consider a different line of work. His team made only two foul shots in an entire basketball game.

the other coach could have thrown in the towl if he didn't like the ass beating he was getting.

What's he supposed to do, hey guys stop playing now so it doesn't look so bad.

he put the backups in, maybe the AD should get suspended for scheduling such an inferrior opponent.

These are high school kids. In pro sports, or major college, I agree with you. But some girls who just want to play some basketball shouldn't have to be full court pressed by the starters of an elite team for the entire first half until the score hits 100-1.

As for throwing in the towel, hell no. That's not what you teach kids. They need to see it through. Quitting isn't the answer. However, one would hope that the opposing coach would have a heart (or some sportsmanship) and not try to prove some point against 16 year old girls.

All that being said, I wouldn't suspend him a few games for it. I'd take a long look at him at the end of the year and decide - based on his entire body of work - if winning was worth it. If it is then you get what you pay for. If not, you fire him and hire somebody more in line with what you're trying to teach your students.

Don't wanna lose? Don't suck. Can't handle losing? Buy a skirt, Sally and welcome to the real world where you're always going to be someone's B word.

Let them get into the real world first. They don't need to experience it to learn that it's going to happen when they're adults. These are kids. Kids should never be anyone's B word.

By the way, if I were a player on this losing team, I can guarantee you that there would have been a lot of "hard fouls." Maybe girls bball is different, or maybe I am not a good sportsman; but nobody would be shooting lay ups without hitting the deck.

You bring up another point. I wonder if there was anyone on the winning team who expressed any sort of reluctance to continue the game. Someone must have known what was happening was wrong. I wonder if this coach is one of those who will not be challenged. There is so much wrong with this situation.

Don't wanna lose? Don't suck. Can't handle losing? Buy a skirt, Sally and welcome to the real world where you're always going to be someone's B word.

To play devil's advocate the winning did not get a taste of the real world either. Life will never be that easy.

By the way, if I were a player on this losing team, I can guarantee you that there would have been a lot of "hard fouls." Maybe girls bball is different, or maybe I am not a good sportsman; but nobody would be shooting lay ups without hitting the deck.

Its not the kids fault on the winning team either. They're just doing what the coach is telling them. Its not like they can completely stop shooting entirely either

Let them get into the real world first. They don't need to experience it to learn that it's going to happen when they're adults. These are kids. Kids should never be anyone's B word.

Bull. Everyone is trying to shield their children from every little thing, the byproduct of which is entitled idiots with zero coping mechanisms when they get to the real world. If the worst thing that happened to you growing up was getting your ass kicked in a !@#$ing sporting event, then your childhood was too easy and life is going to kick your !@#$ing ass.

To play devil's advocate the winning did not get a taste of the real world either. Life will never be that easy.

Karma gets people who put themselves on a pedestal. Things generally even out.

if the idea was to protect the losing team's psyche, then their coach quitting is bad too

If you want to protect someone's psyche, don't let them enroll in competitive sports. When a boxer is being beaten to a pulp, his trainer will throw in the towel. Coaches can and should do the same if they feel some kind of irreparable harm is being done to the students. To stay in a game where you're getting your butt kicked, and then cry about how badly you were beaten, just makes you look even wimpier than if you bore the defeat with a semblance of dignity.