Sandusky's boss to be rewarded his wins back

John Adams

Looks like JoePa gets his wins back.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12179571/joe-paterno-111-wins-were-vacated-restored

I am sure the PSU people are happy to have the wins back because football and winning is more important than covering up molesters and fostering an atmosphere where this kind of thing happens. I can't believe they had the gall to sue the NCAA instead of owning the problem with the "School" and accepting the punishment. PU remains a stain on football.

That "punishment" was simply the NCAA being vindictive for the sake of it. I hate everything about Penn State and even I think that was ridiculous.

It was the NCAA trying to actually dole out a punishment perhaps within its control. Penn State wasn't doing it and instead of accepting at least some punishment, actually fought it.

No love for the NCAA but hard to make them out the supervillian here. The worst guy is behind bars. The rest of the culture is pretty much unchanged.

Imagine if PSU had said, "You know what? We're a school first and foremost. This culture we created that allowed our football coaches and administrators to think it was OK to cover up for a serial molester is an abomination. We're going to shut down football and focus on being a school. Sorry to the couple years of kids who are playing football right now but we'll help you land in other football programs."

Crazy, I know. Football first is the critical thing. WE ARE etc.

Undoubtedly next up: Returning Paterno's statue to a prominent place.

Edited by John Adams

It was the NCAA trying to actually dole out a punishment perhaps within its control. Penn State wasn't doing it and instead of accepting at least some punishment, actually fought it.

No love for the NCAA but hard to make them out the supervillian here. The worst guy is behind bars. The rest of the culture is pretty much unchanged.

Imagine if PSU had said, "You know what? We're a school first and foremost. This culture we created that allowed our football coaches and administrators to think it was OK to cover up for a serial molester is an abomination. We're going to shut down football and focus on being a school. Sorry to the couple years of kids who are playing football right now but we'll help you land in other football programs."

The NCAA is just as culpable as any university in creating the environment. I'm not arguing about what was right and what was wrong.

Doesn't change the fact that, in this instance, the NCAA was trying to do something, anything, to move the spotlight off themselves. That's ALL they were doing.

"Wins?" Who gives a ****?

It's silly, stupid, insulting to even have the debate.

!@#$ Penn State as an institution and !@#$ the NCAA. They showed their true colors throughout the whole thing.

Penn State was suing the NCAA over the wins.

Wins >>>>> the coverup culture.

There shouldn't have been any football related punishments, other than jobs lost for those that were involved. This wasn't a football related thing. The loss of bowl eligibility only hurt the players who had nothing to do with it. And taking away the wins was just idiotic.

Exactly, but some people feel that it is important to punish people who had no involvement.

You nailed it.

i agree that it is what killed JoPa, and that is very sad, unfortunately, as crass as it sounds, in cases like this, you have to separate personal from business/institutional

What's sad is that Paterno turned a blind eye to boys getting molested/raped so he could get the wins everyone is celebrating. Those boys, now men, living with what happened is sad. His death compared to what they're left living with ... not so much.

i am no penn state fan, but i have said all along, while it isn't an excuse, I cannot imagine what Paterno was dealing with in his head, how do you react to news that a lifelong friend/associate is accused of something like this. I don't even know how I would react if I was in that situation. I would like to think I would do the right thing, but when you are that invested in the relationship, how does a 70 year old handle that kind of thing. I have a lot of sympathy for what Paterno may have been dealing with in his own head.. it's a messed up situation all around

What's sad is that Paterno turned a blind eye to boys getting molested/raped so he could get the wins everyone is celebrating. Those boys, now men, living with what happened is sad. His death compared to what they're left living with ... not so much.

i am no penn state fan, but i have said all along, while it isn't an excuse, I cannot imagine what Paterno was dealing with in his head, how do you react to news that a lifelong friend/associate is accused of something like this. I don't even know how I would react if I was in that situation. I would like to think I would do the right thing, but when you are that invested in the relationship, how does a 70 year old handle that kind of thing. I have a lot of sympathy for what Paterno may have been dealing with in his own head.. it's a messed up situation all around

Paterno and Sandusky weren't exactly close for the last 10 years of his life. In fact, according to poznanski's biography "http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/joe_paterno_biography_describe.html.

An excerpt:

"In 1993, Paterno wrote what the family would sometimes call the "Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky Memo." In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile."

And

"[Paterno] told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State. Sandusky mentioned the early retirement package, and Paterno suggested it might be a good time for him to take it. Both men later said that the 1998 incident was never discussed."

I think it's closer to the truth to assume that paterno resented Sandusky, wanted him gone, and was miffed that the board allowed him to be on campus. What I think killed paterno is the fact that all this was going on under his nose, and that he had a chance to do something about it, but he didnt see the warning signs or realize how big of an issue this was. He built something special at penn state, and it all crumbled because he failed to recognize the magnitude of the situation.

I still don't buy the coverup story. The Freeh report was a joke. The NCAA never had jurisdiction over this issue. The penn state board was a joke. There are still court cases pending. The whole thing was a complete debacle. Thank god Sandusky didnt get off on a technicality.

The true unfortunate thing is that there STILL has not been a investigation as to why a child charity run by Sandusky, which employed psychologists to look out for these thing has never been investigated. And ther has never been an investigation as to why Sandusky was allowed to adopt SIX children....but instead the whole discussion became about penn state football, amd not focused on some of the real issues related to child abuse.

Paterno and Sandusky weren't exactly close for the last 10 years of his life. In fact, according to poznanski's biography "http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/08/joe_paterno_biography_describe.html.

An excerpt:

"In 1993, Paterno wrote what the family would sometimes call the "Why I Hate Jerry Sandusky Memo." In it Paterno complained that Sandusky had stopped recruiting, seemed constantly distracted, had lost his energy for coaching, and was more interested in his charity, The Second Mile."

And

"[Paterno] told Sandusky he would not be the next head coach at Penn State. Sandusky mentioned the early retirement package, and Paterno suggested it might be a good time for him to take it. Both men later said that the 1998 incident was never discussed."

I think it's closer to the truth to assume that paterno resented Sandusky, wanted him gone, and was miffed that the board allowed him to be on campus. What I think killed paterno is the fact that all this was going on under his nose, and that he had a chance to do something about it, but he didnt see the warning signs or realize how big of an issue this was. He built something special at penn state, and it all crumbled because he failed to recognize the magnitude of the situation.

I still don't buy the coverup story. The Freeh report was a joke. The NCAA never had jurisdiction over this issue. The penn state board was a joke. There are still court cases pending. The whole thing was a complete debacle. Thank god Sandusky didnt get off on a technicality.

The true unfortunate thing is that there STILL has not been a investigation as to why a child charity run by Sandusky, which employed psychologists to look out for these thing has never been investigated. And ther has never been an investigation as to why Sandusky was allowed to adopt SIX children....but instead the whole discussion became about penn state football, amd not focused on some of the real issues related to child abuse.

Let me see if I have this straight:

Joe Paterno was forced into allowing Sandusky to stay on campus.

Joe Paterno was powerless to stand up to the PSU board.

Joe Paterno forgot to mention to the board that the guy he hated was molesting scores of kids in the PSU showers.

Sorry but no.

The true unfortunate thing is that there are STILL so many people that want to convince themselves that their heroes, JP and the PSU program, are what they purported to be, even after is has been demonstrated they are not. Yay, wins. That'll convince 'em. GTFO

Let me see if I have this straight:

Joe Paterno was forced into allowing Sandusky to stay on campus.

Joe Paterno was powerless to stand up to the PSU board.

Joe Paterno forgot to mention to the board that the guy he hated was molesting scores of kids in the PSU showers.

Sorry but no.

The true unfortunate thing is that there are STILL so many people that want to convince themselves that their heroes, JP and the PSU program, are what they purported to be, even after is has been demonstrated they are not. Yay, wins. That'll convince 'em. GTFO

:worthy: