[Please Change Title]Pepper Johnson?

uticaclub

Sure, it would be good for his career, but, does it make sense? What are you going to make Henderson so that he doesn't feel slighted? Maybe the co-co-defensive coordinator?

Whatever works to keep these guys.

I am glad Donnie is staying.

I also think that Pepper is an asset on the staff. If he does not want to come back, so be it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever works to keep these guys.

I am glad Donnie is staying.

I also think that Pepper is an asset on the staff. If he does not want to come back, so be it.

I'm with ya. I think that it isn't a coincidence that Dareus finally put a season together. I firmly believe that Johnson "reached" him and I'd like nothing better than having him back whether it's working with the line or LBs. Phony titles don't do anything for me though.

I'm with ya. I think that it isn't a coincidence that Dareus finally put a season together. I firmly believe that Johnson "reached" him and I'd like nothing better than having him back whether it's working with the line or LBs. Phony titles don't do anything for me though.

I generally agree re phony titles.

In Pepper's case, I do not think tht he feels appreciated or appropriately recognized - at least by the Giants and other teams not willing to even interview him for DC.

He probably does not feel this way about the Bills. With the Bills, he has an opportunity - rare opportunity - to work with and learn from Rex. How many future DC candidates can say that they have worked with Rex, Schwartz, and Belichik . . . not many.

the only reason i'm concerned about pepper's future is because i liked having someone on the staff named "pepper." i make no apologies for that. i would feel the same way if rex fired a coach named "booger" or "johnny two-times."

I generally agree re phony titles.

In Pepper's case, I do not think tht he feels appreciated or appropriately recognized - at least by the Giants and other teams not willing to even interview him for DC.

He probably does not feel this way about the Bills. With the Bills, he has an opportunity - rare opportunity - to work with and learn from Rex. How many future DC candidates can say that they have worked with Rex, Schwartz, and Belichik . . . not many.

I think the question that's being raised is whether Pepper really has a spot in Buffalo. All defensive position slots appear to be picked. Right now, he's a man without a portfolio, and we never heard Rex say that there's a spot for him on the staff, just Pepper saying Rex told him.

We shall see,

I think the question that's being raised is whether Pepper really has a spot in Buffalo. All defensive position slots appear to be picked. Right now, he's a man without a portfolio, and we never heard Rex say that there's a spot for him on the staff, just Pepper saying Rex told him.

We shall see,

Yolo posted a link saying Rex has said he has a spot waiting for Pepper when he's done interviewing. I doubt Rex is the type of guy to say, "sorry all the positions are full now." I think Pepper just hasn't made up his mind.

Yea... These aren't letters. Also I highly doubt you know better then Rex about candidates for positions coaches... Actually I am sure of it.

Your absolutely correct. They are not letters. Its a forum where people correspond with each other. In other words, it a form of correspondence. Generally speaking, those of us that are older were taught something called correspondence etiquette, and when we were taught this, the rule of thumb was to always sign your correspondence. You don't like that i sign my correspondence...tough. deal with or keep your issues with it to yourself. Maybe you should think about taking correspondence etiquette classes.

As for knowing any better than Rex when looking for coaching talent, I never claimed to know better than he. All I said was that I think there is better talent in terms of coaching out there in my opinion. Last time I checked, I and everyone else in the word is entitled to their opinion. I will drop one name that came straight to my mind and I am sure there are others that other members could list off as well but Dick LeBeau is ten times the Defensive coordinator that Thurman is. He may be old, but he is sure as Hell better than Thurman. So yea, apparently I do know better than Rex!

BigPappy

Yolo posted a link saying Rex has said he has a spot waiting for Pepper when he's done interviewing. I doubt Rex is the type of guy to say, "sorry all the positions are full now." I think Pepper just hasn't made up his mind.

Where is that?

This is probably NFL-Fraternity-speak. A guy who is wanted has a better chance of getting a job somewhere else. A guy who was fired, notsomuch.

So Rex is maybe just being cool about it, helping Pepper on the way out, even though Rex has filled all of the defensive coaching positions already.

Here is the bottom line to everyone who thinks they know how good of a coach all these guys are: last year people were posting stuff like "if Marrone doesn't fire Crossman then I'm done with this team." He didn't fire Crossman, the special teams were outstanding this year and now everyone is applauding Ryan for keeping Crossman around. Do you guys really think that Crossman went to some coaching clinic last offseason to refine his coaching skills? Do you think he totally revamped the way he teaches guys to run down the field and tackle someone when they receive a punt? Or do you think maybe the Bills got some players in who are good at special teams?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive topic titles. A single name if far too vague to post as a title and provides little insight into what specifically the post is talking about.

The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

Where is that?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=buffalo-bills&id=17098&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22http%3A%2F%2Fforums.twobillsdrive.com%2Ftopic%2F175475-pepper-johnson%2Fpage-2%22%7D

This is probably NFL-Fraternity-speak. A guy who is wanted has a better chance of getting a job somewhere else. A guy who was fired, notsomuch.

So Rex is maybe just being cool about it, helping Pepper on the way out, even though Rex has filled all of the defensive coaching positions already.

I wouldn't say the positions are all full. Look what he did for Donnie Henderson, he split the DBs. He could just as easily split the LBs into 2 or the DL. If Pepper wants to work on the defensive staff I believe very much he has a job.

Rex was always going to bring his guys, he wouldn't have offered a spot to then take it away. And he would t have made it public.

That is a link to a Mike Rodak story reporting that Daily News reported that new Bills coach Rex Ryan spoke to Johnson as late as Wednesday and said there would be a job waiting for him on the Bills' staff.

I haven't seen a single Daily News story that quotes Ryan as guaranteeing Pepper a job. All sources point back to Pepper, and everyone is regurgitating is as if Rex said it to the Daily News.