Thurman Thomas is fired up

YoloinOhio

Will listen to the Thurman interview on my lunch break...

Did anyone happen to catch the Jim Kelly article by Paul Hamilton, over on GR55? Doesn't it sound like Kelly is sort of begging for a coaching job on Rex's staff?

http://www.wgr550.com/Kelly-likes-what-he-sees-with-the-Bills-and-wants-/20713047

Whatever unofficial job Kelly had with the Bills during Mr Wilsons' ownership, appears to not exist any more.

I love Jim and Thurman's passion for the team they bled for, but I hope they reaslize coaching at any position is no longer a part-time gig. It's early to rise early to bed 24/7. If they are concerned with that due to family matters (which I respect) it probably won't work.

I love Jim and Thurman's passion for the team they bled for, but I hope they reaslize coaching at any position is no longer a part-time gig. It's early to rise early to bed 24/7. If they are concerned with that due to family matters (which I respect) it probably won't work.

Also, how involved have they been with the game since they left. This is a completely different league since they left.

I also heard an interview of Andre Reed by Freddie Coleman on ESPN radio. Andre was asked what he would do if Rex Ryan called him and asked him to coach the receivers. He replied that he'd be all for it.

What is it with this notion to have former players as position coaches. I don't get it! they are 20 years removed from the game and have never coached professionally anywhere in the NFL. What makes you think they even have the ability to teach (coach). There is a phrase in life that is very popular, and its popular for a reason. " Those who can....do. Those who can't...teach" If they could coach, they would have been doing it already. I will give Jimbo a pass tho because after he retired he spent all his time with Hunter and the Hunter's Hope foundation after Hunter passed. Personally, i think the time he spent with his foundation was time better spent vs. being a coach. Maybe he can coach, but why now? He is still dealing with the after effects of the Cancer. The man has nothing left to prove. Not to himself, not to his family, not to us fans and certainly not to the NFL. The man is a legend. I certainly don't want him to risk tarnishing his legendary status with the possibility of failing as a coach.

While I can appreciate the sentiment, I say no to nostalgia!

FWIW JMHO

BigPappy

Edited by BigPappy

What is it with this notion to have former players as position coaches. I don't get it! they are 20 years removed from the game and have never coached professionally anywhere in the NFL. What makes you think they even have the ability to teach (coach). There is a phrase in life that is very popular, and its popular for a reason. " Those who can....do. Those who can't...teach" If they could coach, they would have been doing it already. I will give Jimbo a pass tho because after he retired he spent all his time with Hunter and the Hunter's Hope foundation after Hunter passed. Personally, i think the time he spent with his foundation was time better spent vs. being a coach. Maybe he can coach, but why now? He is still dealing with the after effects of the Cancer. The man has nothing left to prove. Not to himself, not to his family, not to us fans and certainly not to the NFL. The man is a legend. I certainly don't want him to risk tarnishing his legendary status with the possibility of failing as a coach.

FWIW JMHO

BigPappy

Plus, Kelly wanted to go into broadcasting after he retired which he did for awhile.

FWIW JMHO

BigPappy

Very Good and thoughtful post Big : )

If they could coach, they would have been doing it already.

i think thurm is pretty impressionable. when i've heard thurm on murph's show, he basically reiterates what john (or the callers) says right back to him.

considering that thurm's coaching epiphany came right after rex's welcome party, rex probably said something along the lines of, "thurman, you should get into coaching someday" and thurman took that to mean today.

Edited by Dirtbag