More important Press Conference to you....Ryan or Roman?

BADOLBILZ

Good interview, not sure the guy is any sort of expert, but he has watched more games than most of us.

The good things were, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He praised some and berated some, so you know he wasnt just a guy that finds the best in everyone and not the worst. He spoke in specifics. I'd like to know more about him.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? You want him to pronounce on that when 1) he's not the OC 2) he doesn't know who else will be on the roster on opening day 3) he's never worked with the guy at all?

Of course, this IS TBD :D:beer:

I hope he describes, in detail, his game plan for all 16 games on the schedule in 15. I hope he also lets slip who's going to win this year's Super Bowl, since I'm going to Vegas that weekend...

The good things were, he sounded like he knew what he was talking about. He praised some and berated some, so you know he wasnt just a guy that finds the best in everyone and not the worst. He spoke in specifics. I'd like to know more about him.

I thought it was interesting how he said Kapernick was the brightest guy and it's taken him a while to learn the offense. Not sure if that bodes well for EJ or not.

I know a lot of folks are waiting to see what Rex is wearing etc.. but I want to hear what Roman says he is going to do with this offense.

I am not real thrilled with this OC hire because I think he is a get-what-you-give-him-only type of coach, but I felt the same way about Schwartz(and still do but he was given premier talent to work with in Buffalo).

I was more interested in an up-tempo attack or someone with more than just a ground chuck type of offense. Not impressed at all with how they used Vernon Davis but Roman did run the ball well and they did get to the pinnacle several times in SF. With a heavily invested and talented OL though. .

Press conferences are not important to me

I'm interested in what we will see come September but I doubt we will hear anything real specific today.

What I'm very curious about how much being away from Harbaugh chances his philosophy. He's supposed to be an innovator. Harbaugh is a stubborn bastard although good coach.

I don't necessarily think we are going to see SF's offense. Crabtree sucked. Boldin was limited although pretty good. He's going to use Watkins and Woods. At Stanford for two years they ran Gerhart into the ground with the second when Luck as a freshman. The first year without Gerhart they had Luck open it up and passed like crazy. Granted it was Luck, but they did what the players they had did best.

I think we will be more like the Steelers. Of course we dont have Big Ben but I expect a power run but still a lot of balls downfield and to the wideouts.

He was not in any way, shape, or form the OC at Stanford. He was the assistant in charge of offensive tackles (not guards or centers!) and tight ends.

I thought it was interesting how he said Kapernick was the brightest guy and it's taken him a while to learn the offense. Not sure if that bodes well for EJ or not.

A few things at work here. Kaep is a very smart guy, but football smarts and academic smarts are a totally different thing, and how much time and effort you put into film study and learning the playbook has a huge affect on learning the offense.

THEN...

The quickness of how you process what you know or don't know under pressure, and how many times you make the right decision under duress has little to do with how smart you are or how much you know the offense. If you don't know it you can't process it fast, but just because you do know it doesnt necessarily help you.

We don't know if EJ can process quick and good enough. He hasnt shown it a lot, but that could be inexperience and bad coaching playing a big role. We dont know if Kaep put in the time. EJ will.

He was not in any way, shape, or form the OC at Stanford. He was the assistant in charge of offensive tackles (not guards or centers!) and tight ends.

I know he wasnt the OC. I did read that he was super smart and had Harbaugh's ear and helped Luck a lot, and that is why Harbaugh brought him to SF. I was talking about the strategy of the teams he was on.

His title was actually "Associate Head Coach" at Stanford, and was very instrumental in their offense.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2011/01/14/49ers-add-stanford-assistant-greg-roman-to-coaching-staff/?doing_wp_cron=1421249612.7466208934783935546875

Edited by Kelly the Dog

From what I could tell watching The all 22 was EJ was making fine reads, but his accuracy was off or he waited a half second too long to throw.

He was better when he was aggressive and "let it rip". I think if an open competition with a guy like Orton next training camp, EJ would win. But the Bills need to give him actual competition. Only way for him to prove himself

I watched a quick analysis of Kaep on the NFL Matchup show (so underrated, and criminally mis-scheduled by ESPN) about Kaep's struggles. He was, indeed, missing wide-open receivers who appeared to be his primary reads. It was quite bizarre. I wonder if Harbaugh checking out in early October impacted Kaep's psyche, just like EJ likely was impacted by Marrone's "don't mess up" dogma.

Seriously? You want him to pronounce on that when 1) he's not the OC 2) he doesn't know who else will be on the roster on opening day 3) he's never worked with the guy at all?

What would it mean to you if he said "yes"?

What would it mean to you if he said "no"?

Yes I want him to address it.

First off - Doesn't the HC overrule the OC?

I'd like to know if the Whaley direction on EJ truly was part of being hired. that answers the yes. I want to know this season if EJ can play or not. Never knowing does not help this team.

as to the no. Well he better have a damn good answer other than the likes of Cutler and Orton hasbeens.

I'm in the not sold on the Rex Hiring so I want him to impress me.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Sis, I too would like to see us move away from the "hulking lurching behemoths" strategy. I love your phrase: "hulking lurching behemoths"

But using 3 draft picks, including a 2nd round pick and a talented guy who fell for character issues, plus a veteran FA, can't quite be seen "as little investment as possible".

It may be misguided, either because the talent evaluation was poor, or because they were chosen to fit an OL scheme that was poorly conceived and poorly executed (Did I mention I love your phrase: "hulking lurching behemoths"). But it isn't the crappy "gee we need a L tackle, let's draft Wang in the 5th round and Hairston in the 4th" that we suffered in 2010/2011 or the "no one. and let Levitre and Rinehart walk" we suffered in 2013.

Hiya Hope,

I confused you with my rambling. By little investment as possible, I was referring to a certain front office philosophy that the Bills don't want to spend any coin on the unsexy (unmarketable) guys up front and instead seek out rookies, retreads and multiple time failures under the assumption that their elite coaching staff is crack enough to turn the busts into a butterfly. Marrone failed big time at this as did Jauron's offensive staff. Gailey was able to hide his OL behind a "get the ball out" short passing game. Buddy Nix wanted a big 1990s Hogs or Cowboys style OL, but in this era the trend is towards guys that are athletic and can get out on the second level as well as pass protect. You don't see Nate Newton guys with 3 or 4 spare tires on their guts running around these days in the spread offenses, etc.

I'd like to know if the Whaley direction on EJ truly was part of being hired. that answers the yes. I want to know this season if EJ can play or not. Never knowing does not help this team.

as to the no. Well he better have a damn good answer other than the likes of Cutler and Orton hasbeens.

Ironically, we don't really need much better than a Cutler or Orton has been, if the goal is to simply make the playoffs.

Orton won 58% of his games last year. Had he started all 16 games, his success rate suggests he would have won 9.3 games.

So call it 9.

That's probably 1, maybe 2 wins away from the playoffs.

A slightly different "Orton has been" with slightly better results (Cutler?) who can get that extra win or 2 puts us in the playoffs.

We don't necessarily need a world beater, depending your expected goal for the team next year.

PS: I know you disagree and lots of others too, but in my mind and lots of others, we DO KNOW if EJ can play or not at the NFL level. The answer is "NO". MOVE ON.

I would kill to know what Whaley/Ryan/etc. really think about him and how they speak of him behind closed doors. They'll never tell us, but actions speak louder than words. We'll know what they think soon enough in terms of QB moves in the off-season or on draft day.

We don't necessarily need a world beater, depending your expected goal for the team next year.

Your point is the Bills need a QB that can pass for as many yards as Orton, get more TD's and less INT's and also be able to scramble...

Now who on the Bills roster is capable of that?????

IMO

Cutler is a gunslinger with a bad attitude and won't help the Bills

I wonder if Orton has the team record for 3 and outs?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/seasontype/2

Net Total Yards Leaders 2014 with Orton

# 26 Buffalo 5096 yds PPG 21.4

Net Total Yards Leaders 2013 with EJ

# 19 Buffalo 5410 yds PPG 21.2

hmmmmm

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I know a lot of folks are waiting to see what Rex is wearing etc.. but I want to hear what Roman says he is going to do with this offense.

I am not real thrilled with this OC hire because I think he is a get-what-you-give-him-only type of coach, but I felt the same way about Schwartz(and still do but he was given premier talent to work with in Buffalo).

I was more interested in an up-tempo attack or someone with more than just a ground chuck type of offense. Not impressed at all with how they used Vernon Davis but Roman did run the ball well and they did get to the pinnacle several times in SF. With a heavily invested and talented OL though. .

Would be awesome to see EJ running the type of offense you're interested in. Not

Pretty sure he was in control of calling the running plays at Stanford.

He addressed it. He said he needed to evaluate. He said exactly what every new HC would say. Don't hand him the keys. Don't shatter his confidence. Say what you plan on doing....which is evaluating and looking at other options.....which is what he said.

While I can to some extent see why there are some who are glad we hired Rex I can't say I understand the excitement over Roman.

Here's the excitement. Our Defense is really good and we have one of the best defensive minds running it. Our QBs sucks. Not many OCs can change that. A bad QBs best friend = a good running game + a good OL. Last year, we had none of the above. We're excited because we believe roman is one of the best in the biz when it comes to developing a running game. He's had succes running the ball and we believe that he'll turn our running game around. You might not believe this, but that's why we are excited

Would be awesome to see EJ running the type of offense you're interested in. Not

Actually people were pretty pleased with EJ as a rookie running that offense in 2013 until he got hurt in Cleveland and disrupted his season. What didn't work is trying to make EJ impersonate Tom Brady. Good to hear Rex point out the obvious.....that EJ needs to run with the football. He's not the kind of prospect you shield from contact.