Popeye's Chicken

Popeyes is weird with how much people love it compared to other fast food joints. Several of the new stores I've been to before they open, the owner will bring in a tractor trailer to hold extra chicken because they can't keep enough in the store freezer during the first week or two they are open.

Then they go under. I don't know if they over-expand, like the Krispy Kreme thing, but I have seen a few close up after big hooplas that were created when they opened. Are they just run poorly? What? did people stop coming. Another story, I have a family member that is a banker. One of the few bad loans he made was on a Popeye's joint. Two ladies that he thought could run a chicken joint... LMAO... Teach him to never judge a book by its cover! :doh: After hearing how other people raved about the chicken (and stuff like the red beans & rice)... :lol: It was a bunch of years back in New England. I guess they weren't ready for Popeye's Chicken back then. He had to "eat" a really bad loan! Let's just leave it @ that!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely different topic but a friend introduced me to a FB page called Kitchetape. It was the terrible misspellings of food containers in professional kitchens. Most of them were from people with ESL but my favorite was:

Chicken Popeye

:lol: It took me a second before I said it out loud and then chuckled.

Reminds me of misspellings in my field...things like rotary cup (vs. rotator cuff).

The only time the Popeye's chicken is good anywhere I've been in Texas is on Tuesdays, when they sell a ton of it. Any other time, it's so hard and dry that you could drive nails with the stuff. It didn't used to be that way, but they've really gone down hill in the last 10 years or so.

The only time the Popeye's chicken is good anywhere I've been in Texas is on Tuesdays, when they sell a ton of it. Any other time, it's so hard and dry that you could drive nails with the stuff. It didn't used to be that way, but they've really gone down hill in the last 10 years or so.

being in new orleans, every day keeps busy. and delicious.

A Popeyes actually just opened up on Niagara Falls Blvd in Niagara Falls.

There used to be Church's Chicken in BFLO... I think on The East Side. The name is still around but taken over by Popeye's. Good thing they did because everytime I see a Church's (around here) I can't not think of this crazy conspiracy story... Oh my!

"Food conspiracy theories are pretty interesting. The famous Churchs Fried Chicken chain has one associated it, and it originated in the mid-80s. At the time, it was believed that the company was owned by White supremacist gang the Klu Klux Klan (KKK), who have always had a vendetta against African Americans.

Since it is no secret that the KKK hates Black people, it was allegedly thought that these haters tainted their chicken recipe with an ingredient that would render all Black men sterile.

Yes, you read that right.

The Churchs Fried Chicken chain was started by a San Antonio, Texas, entrepreneur named George Church in 1952. The business first began as a single run stand, but then it quickly gained popularity and branched out across Texas and eventually on to other states. Churchs son, George Church Jr., took the business over in 1965, the same year that the company went public.

Author/folklorist Patricia Turner, who wrote I Heard It Through the Grapevine about conspiracy theories, says that the Churchs Fried Chicken myth seems to have been exacerbated by the fact that it located its franchises primarily in neighborhoods with high concentrations of Blacks. The chain also did little advertising as compared with other fast-food companies.

Furthermore, by being a southern-based company and offering a southern menu that commonly identified with the African-American home kitchen, Churchs had transgressed into somewhat sacred territory. Therefore, when people heard the rumor, they totally believed that the Klan was more than capable of carrying out such a well-devised and diabolical plan.

By the time Churchs was taken over by Popeyes Famous Fried Chicken and Biscuits in 1989, the unfounded conspiracy theories had waned.

Still, this provocative conspiracy theory continues to be shared, with some authenticating the myth by swearing they saw this theory reported on television.

To this day, I and I hang my head down in shame as I write this will not allow any of my male family members to consume Churchs Fried Chicken!"

LoL... But Popeye's is okay!

I'm shocked by the love for Popeye's - the few times I've eaten there it's been TERRIBLE.

Doesn't Buffalo have at least ONE legit, non-chain fried chicken joints? Even David Chang is opening one in NYC...

BTW, here's the next big thing in fried chicken: http://www.chocochicken.com/

Yup, Choco chicken.

I'm shocked by the love for Popeye's - the few times I've eaten there it's been TERRIBLE.

Doesn't Buffalo have at least ONE legit, non-chain fried chicken joints? Even David Chang is opening one in NYC...

BTW, here's the next big thing in fried chicken: http://www.chocochicken.com/

Yup, Choco chicken.

Bonchon getting big here on the East Coast, at least DC AND Richmond.

Korean Double Fried wings....damn good .

For some reason can't post link, but trust me, find one if you like double fried anything

Federal Donuts, here in Philly always has a line for their korean double fried chicken, oftentimes selling out before they close...it is awesome chicken

Bonchon getting big here on the East Coast, at least DC AND Richmond.

Korean Double Fried wings....damn good .

For some reason can't post link, but trust me, find one if you like double fried anything

They have been opening a bunch of them here in Niagara

They don't have the Tuesday deal up here

KFC had a deal similar that they have run for over 15 years. I used to work at a KFC for over 3 years as a cook and Tuesdays were named "Toonie Tuesdays" because you could get 2 pieces of Chicken (Leg and Thigh) and fries for $2. It stayed $2 for a long time then probably over the last 5-10 years it slowly started to climb and is now just about $3.

Proper French fries should always be double fried. Anything deep fried is ways better double fried. I don't know why , need Jim to help us with the science, but damn does it make all things delicious.

Working in the deli back in BFLO... I'd fry the wings, coat them with the sauce and then throw them back in the oil... Boy did that mess up the oil... French fries tasted like wings! Ha!

Popeyes is weird with how much people love it compared to other fast food joints. Several of the new stores I've been to before they open, the owner will bring in a tractor trailer to hold extra chicken because they can't keep enough in the store freezer during the first week or two they are open.

Every Popeye's I've been to has some of the worst service, but the food is so good that it's worth it.