Does anyone remember the pre-dynasty Pats?

Hi all, first of all let me say hello. I'm sure you've noticed that this is my very first post but don't let that scare you. I've been "lurking" as they say on TSW for years now and have enjoyed reading all the posts and commentary. I've ften times, this message board is the place to go for breaking news and stories you wouldn't normally hear anywhere else regarding not only the Bills and the NFL but around the world. I've been a Bills season ticket holder since 1987 and here we are now.

Enough of that.

What I wanted to say was...does anyone remember what things were like before the Patriots became the team of the '00s? I mean seriously. And I'm not just talking about the horrific 70s and 80s when they were bumbling through life at Schaefer/Sullivan/Foxboro Stadium. I'm talking about recent history.

I specifically a remember a game at the Ralph sometime in the mid 90s, between the Bills and Pats, and first-year kicker Adam Vinatieri missed three field goals. I remember thinking to myself, "Parcells is gonna cut this guy tomorrow." Well needless to say you can't read a Super Bowl preview article without reading how Vinatieri is one of the key cogs to this team, how he's the greatest pressure kicker off all-time, how he may be a Hall of Famer, etc.

I remember thinking "Why??" when New England traded a first-round pick to the Jets for Belicheck. In my mind, he was just another assistant who failed the first time around as head coach, ala Wade Phillips or Dave Wannstedt. Part of the so-called good ole boys network. Some of my only memories of Belicheck had been of him parading around the Browns' sideline in a ghastly, too-tight orange polo shirt. I certainly never thought much of him as a head coach. And here we are now. He's one of the so-called greatest geniuses of all-time.

And then of course there's Tom Brady whose story we all know.

So that's it. I was just thinking about some of that stuff today and still can't believe that the freakin' Patriots led by freakin' Belicheck and freakin' Vinatieri and freakin Tom Brady are the team of this decade.