Spiller sounds like he is likely to come back

The intention of that sentence was even in Spiller's best year, even with his biggest fan as HC, he wasn't carrying the load as much as everyone believed he could.

That's not how the running game was designed. It was, and is, a 2-headed (at least) monster. It's smart.

Just because Spiller doesn't carry the ball 30 times/game doesn't mean he doesn't have tremendous value.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2012: In 3 WR sets - 101 carries for 6.9 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 60 carries for 5.5 YPC (62% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2013: In 3 WR sets - 63 carries for 5.3 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 128 carries for 5.5 YPC (32% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2014: In 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 6.4 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 1.4 YPC (50% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

Interestingly, running up the middle this year was the weakest part of the Bills running game (particularly in 2 TE sets), which is not surprising, given the play of the guards. Spiller averaged less than 2 YPC running up the middle and about 5 YPC outside the guards, yet, 30% of his runs were up the middle in 2 TE sets.

Another interesting point, Spiller's YPC up the middle drastically improves in spread formations and was the case in 2012. 2013, and 2014. In fact, Spiller ran up the middle in almost 40% (82 carries) of the plays in 2012. However, most of that was out of 3 WR sets and he averaged 6.5 YPC - the highest average in the NFL up the middle in 2012.

In my non-expert opinion, I think spread formations are more productive and efficient in general. I think Chan showed us that. You spread the defense out, it's easier to find soft spots for WR/TEs, and holes for RBs. I honestly don't understand why any team would run anything but a spread offense. I mean, for short yardage plays, I can understand a heavy formation, but that's about it.

Edit: Now that I say that, I can see a spread formation being difficult for a QB who is slow to scan the field, and recognize coverages/openings... hm

Edited by Dorkington

That's not how the running game was designed. It was, and is, a 2-headed (at least) monster. It's smart.

Just because Spiller doesn't carry the ball 30 times/game doesn't mean he doesn't have tremendous value.

Sure. But I remember a very distinct opinion that Spiller wasn't getting the rock enough in Chan's O. And everyone couldn't wait til Spiller got the ball until he puked, because Chan didn't give it to him enough.

Sure. But I remember a very distinct opinion that Spiller wasn't getting the rock enough in Chan's O. And everyone couldn't wait til Spiller got the ball until he puked, because Chan didn't give it to him enough.

Everyone = Hackett. That was the most stupid football statement ever made.

I'm not understanding here...has Spiller already told the Bills he's opting out or did he reach certain stats that caused him to be an FA automatically? Failing that I thought he is still under contract next year for 4.5 million total with bonuses

I'm not understanding here...has Spiller already told the Bills he's opting out or did he reach certain stats that caused him to be an FA automatically? Failing that I thought he is still under contract next year for 4.5 million total with bonuses

He's under contract if he chooses to stay. He's in charge re: next season.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000457269/article/cj-spiller-excited-about-rex-ryan-leading-bills

That sounds like a guy that thinks or knows he is going to re-sign with the Bills. Who knows. Maybe he has spoken to Rex and Roman and Whaley, maybe not.

Spiller has always said he wants to stay in B/lo & he is one player that i believe when he says something !

He would be a great asset in Romans arsenal & i bet he would know how to use him because he will have a O line coach that is much better than Marrone & his guy at coaching up the O line ...

How did it void? He voided it or by his stats/snaps, etc?

It is all in this link: http://overthecap.com/cj-spiller-mysterious-player-option/

Apparently the option was misinterpreted early on and incorrectly re-reported by all sources. Essentially the 6th year option was extremely unlikely to come into effect and was used mostly for cap off putting reasons.

In my non-expert opinion, I think spread formations are more productive and efficient in general. I think Chan showed us that. You spread the defense out, it's easier to find soft spots for WR/TEs, and holes for RBs. I honestly don't understand why any team would run anything but a spread offense. I mean, for short yardage plays, I can understand a heavy formation, but that's about it.

Edit: Now that I say that, I can see a spread formation being difficult for a QB who is slow to scan the field, and recognize coverages/openings... hm

Not. When. You. Have. Lee. Smith.

When you have Lee Smith, you must sacrifice the spread and all common sense. He's that essential to have on the field.

When you have Lee Smith, you must sacrifice the spread and all common sense. He's that essential to have on the field.

I'm actually very fearful. Lee Smith is an unristricted FA......and I have heard no news from the Bills FO about him. Typical Bills.....always letting our best FAs walk.

2012: In 3 WR sets - 101 carries for 6.9 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 60 carries for 5.5 YPC (62% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2013: In 3 WR sets - 63 carries for 5.3 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 128 carries for 5.5 YPC (32% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

2014: In 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 6.4 YPC; Less than 3 WR sets - 36 carries for 1.4 YPC (50% of his carries in 3 WR sets)

Interestingly, running up the middle this year was the weakest part of the Bills running game (particularly in 2 TE sets), which is not surprising, given the play of the guards. Spiller averaged less than 2 YPC running up the middle and about 5 YPC outside the guards, yet, 30% of his runs were up the middle in 2 TE sets.

Another interesting point, Spiller's YPC up the middle drastically improves in spread formations and was the case in 2012. 2013, and 2014. In fact, Spiller ran up the middle in almost 40% (82 carries) of the plays in 2012. However, most of that was out of 3 WR sets and he averaged 6.5 YPC - the highest average in the NFL up the middle in 2012.

Thanks a lot for this. Several of us were screaming the entire year at Marrone for his ridiculous formations and groupings and not spreading the field so the playmakers can get on it, and, you know, make plays.

Lee MOFO Smith. remember the game against the Packers he caught two balls for a total of 1 yard. .5 yard average. That Was awesome!

A career day.

Kind of like when Gronk lined up wide as a WR last weekend.