QB Solution? Far fetched, but would you do it?

Coach55

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

no, I don't believe that either are a franchise QB, and Suh is most likely going to get tagged

Suh will NOT get tagged... the franchise tag # will like 20+ mil for a DT! with all the $$$ they got tied up in Stafford and Calvin, they either find a way to sign Suh long term with increasing cap figures or they let him walk.

Yes I would do it, and no it would never happen.

At the risk of a thread-jack, here's (IMO) a more interesting far-fetched QB trade scenario: would you offer your next 10 first round picks for Andrew Luck? Would Indianapolis take it?

No. Because Luck (like all QBs/players) is one hit away from being done. Five years' worth of first-rounders, I'd consider!

Suh cannot reasonably be tagged. They were discussing on NFL Radio. He would be owed 120 percent of his salary. It would cost Detroit about $24-$26 mil per.

Suh cannot reasonably be tagged. They were discussing on NFL Radio. He would be owed 120 percent of his salary. It would cost Detroit about $24-$26 mil per.

I couldn't imagine a GM giving up a chance to get a franchise quarterback. Quarterback is the most important position in sports.

If I was the Bills I would trade anything to get a franchise quarterback.

Yeah...this. I mean just look at playoffs this year. Every team that made it had an unquestioned franchise Qb except AZ and maybe Cin... Who's the best qb that didn't make the tourney? Cutler?? Rivers??? I guess Brees or ryan, but still arm talent make all the difference Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

I'll give you credit for an interesting thought...but no thanks. Like the above poster, 'trading Dareus' (proven all pro in his mid 20's) is not an option for me unless you get a legit top 10 NFL qb back....and that trade isn't going to happen from anyone's perspective.

It ain't gonna happen. But really, if we run with the OP's scenario and assume Tampa would do something like that, of course you should take it. Dareus will be paid market rates, certainly after 2015. That means from a pure economist's point of view there's not really any value in him at the margin. As the OP said, let Dareus go, sign Suh, or go cheaper and sign Terrence Knighton or something. You are paying market value rates whichever way. The value of the first pick, particularly since the new CBA came in and the Sam Bradford signing bonuses went away, is that you get a potentially great player at way, way below market rates for several years. That's one reason Seattle has been so good -- not only is Russell Wilson already a fantastic QB, but he's a fantastic QB who's been (until now) playing for a ridiculously low salary -- money that they've applied wisely to other positions. So while it's easy to dismiss these far-fetched trade proposals, I usually find these "hell no, Dareus [or Mario, or substitute your favorite player] is great right now" responses equally poorly thought out.

so trade away our best player for an unproven QB that MIGHT be good in 2-3 years? hmmmm

Well, GMs sometimes do stupid things for sentimental or other reasons. But the fact that everyone here seems to agree that there's no way the Bucs would make that deal supports the proposition that a Dareus for 1st pick deal would be one sided in favor of the Bills

The problem isnt trading Dareus, the problem is that he wouldnt come close to getting the number one.

I think its a no brainer to say the Bills are a better team with Suh and Winston or Marriotta than they are with Dareus and no QB.

That's because people overvalue draft picks. When a team uses a #3 pick on a player they dream that he'll turn out to be as good as Dareus. Yet, once he turns out that good he's still not worth trading for a top 3 pick. It's pure craziness how overvalued 1st round picks are. People won't tade the pick for a sure thing and would rather gamble with the draft.

That's because people overvalue draft picks. When a team uses a #3 pick on a player they dream that he'll turn out to be as good as Dareus. Yet, once he turns out that good he's still not worth trading for a top 3 pick. It's pure craziness how overvalued 1st round picks are. People won't tade the pick for a sure thing and would rather gamble with the draft.

You are forgetting something: Money. As someone pointed out upthread, Dareus will very soon begin eating up more than $10 million year of his team's salary cap. Whichever rookie you are talking about will be much cheaper for his first four years. And Dareus, while still young, has four more years of NFL wear and tear on his body than said rookie. In case you hadn't noticed, linemen don't last forever.

But the biggest problem with the trade, of course, is that the GM of either Tennessee or Tampa Bay, both of whom need a QB pretty badly, would be immediately fired, tarred and then feathered if they traded a chance to draft one of the two best QB prospects since Andrew Luck for a defensive lineman, especially one who has had only one truly outstanding season. It ain't happening.