Spend the entire draft of QB's

In a conversation I had with a friend (college FB coach), we were discussing the overwhelming need for good QB play. I proposed the question, would you trade all of your picks in 2015 for a suitable QB? He said yes, his reasoning:

-QB is the most important position in football

-there are no QBs in free agency worth a look

- all other holes can be filled through free agency

-if you select 2 or 3 QBs, you're more likely to land one

A pretty far fetched idea, I know. But not the craziest thing I've heard. Thoughts?

In a conversation I had with a friend (college FB coach), we were discussing the overwhelming need for good QB play. I proposed the question, would you trade all of your picks in 2015 for a suitable QB? He said yes, his reasoning:

A pretty far fetched idea, I know. But not the craziest thing I've heard. Thoughts?

Quarterback Idol.

How do you give all of them, as well as EJ and whatever veteran you bring in, reps to develop, build familiarity with the first team receivers, and learn the offense?

They'd obviously establish a pecking order based off OTAs. Reps would be limited, as you suggest. But all it takes is to hit on one of your guys. You'd hope if you found some real talent, you would be able to see it in however many reps they get.

Are you suggesting a trade with another team, or using all of the picks on QBs?

There are many of us who want the Bills to take a QB or two every year.

The conversation started as a trade but I'm proposing drafting.

It's the greatest idea I've ever heard.

They'd obviously establish a pecking order based off OTAs. Reps would be limited, as you suggest. But all it takes is to hit on one of your guys. You'd hope if you found some real talent, you would be able to see it in however many reps they get.

History shows us that's not the case. Guys need reps to develop as well as build chemistry and learn the offense. Your plan gives ever QB on the roster fewer reps than a typical scout team QB.

I wouldn't expend all picks on QBs in a given year, but the Bills recent history with this sort of thing is appalling.

The Bills drafted Levi Brown in 2010 and then EJ in 2013.

Have to go back to Trent Edwards in 2007 to find another QB drafted by this organization, then JP Losman in 2004!

That's 4 losers in 11 years of drafts.

And we wonder why the QB situation is always dismal around here!?

I would probably triple that number from 4 to 12 over a similar stretch of time, until you actually hit on someone.

QB drafting is mostly a crap shoot these days. Very few "sure fire" things coming out of college. When there is one available it pays to have the number one pick. Will be interesting to see who the OC ends up being and how this all shakes out.

I wouldn't expend all picks on QBs in a given year, but the Bills recent history with this sort of thing is appalling.

The Bills drafted Levi Brown in 2010 and then EJ in 2013.

Have to go back to Trent Edwards in 2007 to find another QB drafted by this organization, then JP Losman in 2004!

That's 4 losers in 11 years of drafts.

And we wonder why the QB situation is always dismal around here!?

I would probably triple that number from 4 to 12 over a similar stretch of time, until you actually hit on someone.

So one a year

Okay so limit it to a second and third round selection. 2 rookies, a vet and EJ.

Bring in one guy through the draft every year or two. Otherwise your team loses valuable quality depth through attrition.

Consider how devastating Kiko's injury would have been for this team if not for Preston Brown.

You can't commit the entire first and second day of the draft to a single position, regardless of which position, and field a playoff caliber team.

So one a year

Yeah, something like that. Take a random shot probably in a lower round on the guy you think might work out...high risk/high reward types of guys. After 5 or 6 of them, maybe you'd actually hit on one.

It's a lottery ticket.

Not to wander too far off topic here, but it is interesting to note this is one area where the NHL varies remarkably from the NFL, at least in terms of tops QBs.

Look at the best QBs around the NFL; they come from a seemingly random pecking order of draft picks. You would think they would all be No.1 overall picks, but many aren't even close to that. And then many No.1 overall QB picks turn out to be busts, more or less.

The NHL is not like that. You draft No.1, 2, or 3 overall and you are statistically almost guaranteed a really great hockey player, and almost all the top teams top players are guys selected at that sort of level. There are a few exceptions of course, but not a ton.

You get what you pay for in the NHL with an absolutely top draft pick. In the NFL, with QBs, not so much.

For this reason, the Sabres current tank would not be a great idea for the Bills or any NFL team, ever, in my opinion. Not if you are targeting a QB at least.

Yeah, something like that. Take a random shot probably in a lower round on the guy you think might work out...high risk/high reward types of guys. After 5 or 6 of them, maybe you'd actually hit on one.

It's a lottery ticket.

Not to wander too far off topic here, but it is interesting to note this is one area where the NHL varies remarkably from the NFL, at least in terms of tops QBs.

Look at the best QBs around the NFL; they come from a seemingly random pecking order of draft picks. You would think they would all be No.1 overall picks, but many aren't even close to that. And then many No.1 overall QB picks turn out to be busts, more or less.

The NHL is not like that. You draft No.1, 2, or 3 overall and you are statistically almost guaranteed a really great hockey player, and almost all the top teams top players are guys selected at that sort of level. There are a few exceptions of course, but not a ton.

You get what you pay for in the NHL with an absolutely top draft pick. In the NFL, with QBs, not so much.

For this reason, the Sabres current tank would not be a great idea for the Bills or any NFL team, ever, in my opinion. Not if you are targeting a QB at least.

Good point. So if they truly are lottery selections, wouldn't the more tickets me have raise our chances of winning?