Do we make a run for Revis?

Why would we break the bank for a player at a position which we are already very strong? Yes, Revis is very, very good. But we have other, more pressing personnel needs, IMO.

I agree that it isn't our top need (pass rusher isn't either). Either one of those guys though can make that defense elite. They may be the best in the league already but with Hughes or Revis it certainly will remain there.

Just an aside that may or may not be relevant to this conversation but the Bills LOVED Revis when he came out. They had narrowed it down to Marshawn and Revis in that draft. They thought that "he had a little thug in his game" in a good way.

You are probably talking $12M a year for Hughes on like a 5 year deal (5 years $60M) and maybe $14M a year for Revis on like a 4 year deal (4 years $56M). I would guess that Hughes would get about $30M guaranteed & Revis $26M maybe? Again these are just guesses but you can see why it would be 1 or the other.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Just an aside that may or may not be relevant to this conversation but the Bills LOVED Revis when he came out. They had narrowed it down to Marshawn and Revis in that draft. They thought that "he had a little thug in his game" in a good way.

You are probably talking $12M a year for Hughes on like a 5 year deal (5 years $60M) and maybe $14M a year for Revis on like a 4 year deal (4 years $56M). I would guess that Hughes would get about $30M guaranteed & Revis $26M maybe? Again these are just guesses but you can see why it would be 1 or the other.

For the sake of argument, if we keep the basic defense. How do you rate:

Mario-Dareus-Kyle-Hughes

Bradham-Brown-Kiko

Gilmore-McKelvin-AWilliams-Searcy (if he stays) with Graham-Robey-Brooks

vs.

Mario-Dareus-Kyle-Wynn or Lawson

Bradham-Brown-Kiko

Revis-Gilmore-AWilliams-Searcy with McKelvin-Graham-Robey

That's pretty close.

I could see them making a play for Revis now that Ryan is here. Ryan loves to have 2 great CB's that can play on an island & get after the QB. His defense is at it's best with 2 very strong man on man corners that can take on the best 2 WR's on their own.

There would have to be another move made to make room for him. He's going to want at least 10 million a season I would guess. McKelvin is making close to 5 million a year so I would assume he'd be the odd man out. That would give us Revis & Gilmore on the outside.

Revis is the type of player that can elevate this defense into the elite category. Arguably the best CB playing in the league right now that can match up with any WR in the league & neutralize them without any help

I'm not sure I want this but it did occur to me...

I want the Bills to re-sign Hughes.

But... with Rex here. We could probably sign Revis and Brandon Spikes for the same amount of money.

The rush without Hughes, but having Gilmore, Revis, McKelvin, Graham and Robey in the defensive backfield?

You clever bastard. I really like that idea, it makes a ton of sense and would make this defense lethal. And I say this as a guy who is all for paying Hughes.