Schwartz may remain DC...

YoloinOhio

Agreed. We are a great fit for Schwartz, but Rex is very adaptable.

Not so big on Roman. I think he needs a lot of talent to make his game work. They might need Mike Iupati, Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson added this offseason to make Roman look good. But at least they won't need to address the TE position. His use of Vernon Davis has been arguably the biggest waste of an individual talent in recent memory.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he left for a lateral DC job, odds are he will not have the talent he had here, or even Detroit, and his rep could go from defensive guru to labeled as " he can only make it work with all pros" Atlanta, Chicago, NYG all need def rebuilds.

Arizona and Seattle could have openings though after Quinn and Bowles promotions...

Good point. Those would be good choices for him. It's a lateral move. If he told the Pegulas he really didn't think he could work with Ryan and run his defense, they would let him go. I would bet anything he will make more money in Buffalo as the DC.

They're both good. I don't want to take anything away from Seattle. As much as I love the Bills D, I can't get to the point of saying they're better than Seattle's.

Same here. The Seattle D seems to be [a bit] more physical than the Bills (probably due to their safeties) and more of a "whole-team flowing to the ball" concept. They really stand out from the more 'old school' approach Schwartz employs, IMO...

Same here. The Seattle D seems to be [a bit] more physical than the Bills (probably due to their safeties) and more of a "whole-team flowing to the ball" concept. They really stand out from the more 'old school' approach Schwartz employs, IMO...

The Bills D is fast and physical in it's own right...But Seattle's D is is like lightning...Super fast, powerful, and destructive... B-)

not sure if anyone pointed out that there's a coaching lineage from Rex's father Buddy to Fischer to Schwartz - i'm sure Rex and Jim will enjoy playing tinker toys with the personnel.

i predict the if the best CB on the board is a better prospect than the best OG, he'll be our first pick. Rex loves playing 10 versus 9.

Not so big on Roman. I think he needs a lot of talent to make his game work. They might need Mike Iupati, Sam Bradford and Adrian Peterson added this offseason to make Roman look good. But at least they won't need to address the TE position. His use of Vernon Davis has been arguably the biggest waste of an individual talent in recent memory.

Name one team that doesn't need talent to make the system work.

The Bills D is fast and physical in it's own right...But Seattle's D is is like lightning...Super fast, powerful, and destructive... B-)

Adderall is a wonderful drug. Reaction time is critical on defense. They've done a good job identifying players whose game could be elevated significantly by adding a little "instinct" to their game.

Give either Ryan or Schwartz top talent and they will have a top defense.

But Rex can do more with less.

It's interesting that Schwartz identity was formed in the heavily Buddy Ryan-influenced 4 DL front system in TN.

Buddy's D was basically a "talent or bust" and that has pretty much been Schwartz track record as a DC.

Rex didn't go that way. His approach is more versatile and sustainable.

I actually agree with that. I think Rex is the best around at getting the most out of a defense with moderate talent. I don't think it is fair to say Schwartz needs top talent to succeed, but he isn't as effective with average talent as Rex. Not sure anybody is. My concern on the hire is we don't need a defensive mind to turn water into wine - we have some pretty good wine here already.

And I agree with your take on Roman too.

I actually agree with that. I think Rex is the best around at getting the most out of a defense with moderate talent. I don't think it is fair to say Schwartz needs top talent to succeed, but he isn't as effective with average talent as Rex. Not sure anybody is. My concern on the hire is we don't need a defensive mind to turn water into wine - we have some pretty good wine here already.

And I agree with your take on Roman too.

Yeah I think they get a longer window to succeed defensively with Rex.

I consider Rex the best DC the Ravens have had(Marvin Lewis overrated) and that defense has been the pinnacle of consistency in the NFL since the late 1990's.

He's the only defensive minded HC I would have been happy with.

And mainly because the HC needs to be a someone a team believes in and plays hard for. Rex has those skills in abundance.

Schwartz long record as a DC in TN does speak for itself and the D in Detroit got better without him so I will stand on my take about his DC ability.

If he left for a lateral DC job, odds are he will not have the talent he had here, or even Detroit, and his rep could go from defensive guru to labeled as " he can only make it work with all pros" Atlanta, Chicago, NYG all need def rebuilds.

Arizona and Seattle could have openings though after Quinn and Bowles promotions...

Yolo is completely correct. Schwartz is probably the happiest man alive right now. He just has to roll out the ball and let this D play for another year. Why would he leave this cushy spot and go somewhere to rebuild some crappy D?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Schwartz long record as a DC in TN does speak for itself and the D in Detroit got better without him so I will stand on my take about his DC ability.

Yes it does and there can be no doubt that the years in the middle or his run there with sub standard talent the D struggled. But to rebound from a bottom 5 defense to a top 5 defense in 1 year is about more than talent - you can't change the talent that much in one go. It is an infusion of talent coupled with good coaching.

I haven't read this because Rodak so someone let me know if isn't stupid

@mikerodak: Diving deeper into the Xs and Os of Rex Ryan's defense and why a Rex-Schwartz marriage might not work: http://t.co/bNcW3nysLr

@mikerodak: If Bills go back to Ryan/Pettine scheme, it could put Hughes back in part-time role. Lessens his value to Bills and Bills' appeal to him.

@mikerodak: The change would also be bad news for Nigel Bradham, who was better fit under Schwartz than Pettine. Lessens need for contract extension.

@mikerodak: Meanwhile, change would be good news for Manny Lawson. Was good fit at OLB for Pettine but lost at DE for Schwartz.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@caplannfl: Rex Ryan has told Jim Schwartz he would like him to stay as his DC, a source said. Schwartz has coached 3-4 before, but it has been a while.Breathe... Breathe...

This^^

These guys could be a force together as they are two of the greatest d-minded coaches in football. I know Schwartz did not set the world on fire as a HC but with the talent on the D side of the ball in Blo who is to say that there may not even be another step forward in 2015?