President Proposes Nullifying the Value of a 2 Year Degree

I think LA degrees are so big is because they attract kids who are passionate about the subject, and kids who want an easy degree, because they are told that's all that matters. Mostly the second.

Liberal Arts is what everyone who isn't focused on what they want to be are herded into when they enroll in Kallage. It's a chicken broth of mediocrity and a cash cow for the universities.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was discussing this with someone at work and realized something else that will definitely happen. 4 year universities will stop accepting credits from 2 year schools. So this will just be two extra years of high school in the end.

And the obvious solution that problem is free 4 year degrees for everyone

Forward!

Liberal Arts is what everyone who isn't focused on what they want to be are herded into when they enroll in Kallage. It's a chicken broth of mediocrity and a cash cow for the universities.

Right, because most of these kids think they get a degree and two months later, they're a CEO. Or they lack all ambition and just assume it'll work it out.

Edited by FireChan

Right, because most of these kids think they get a degree and two months later, they're a CEO. Or they lack all ambition and just assume it'll work it out.

once again, you are talking about different student pools. those going to community college are mostly looking to enter or maintain a middle class lifestyle. c-suite jobs aren't on the radar. they are after the american dream that is rapidly disappearing. obama is attempting to restore it just a bit.

once again, you are talking about different student pools. those going to community college are mostly looking to enter or maintain a middle class lifestyle. c-suite jobs aren't on the radar. they are after the american dream that is rapidly disappearing. obama is attempting to restore it just a bit.

So we are going to foot the bill for middle class families? Shouldn't they be able to afford to send their kids to CC? It's not that expensive.

How many community college students do you know? How many 18-20 year olds do you know? How many of that group have a realistic outlook on their career and lifestyle?

President Obama hopes to make two years of free community college accessible for up to nine million Americans. I’m guessing the new Congress will squawk at the $60 billion price tag, but I hope the idea sticks, because more veterans, from Iraq and Afghanistan this time, as well as another generation of mothers, single parents and workers who have been out of the job market, need lower obstacles between now and the next chapter of their lives. High school graduates without the finances for a higher education can postpone taking on big loans and maybe luck into the class that will redefine their life’s work. Many lives will be changed.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/14/opinion/tom-hanks-on-his-two-years-at-chabot-college.html?ref=opinion&_r=1

I was discussing this with someone at work and realized something else that will definitely happen. 4 year universities will stop accepting credits from 2 year schools. So this will just be two extra years of high school in the end.

Sure it will... :rolleyes:

In Somerset Maugham’s parable “The Verger,” a man fired from his low-paying church job because he is illiterate opens a chain of tobacco shops and becomes quite wealthy. At the end (spoiler alert!), he is asked by his banker to sign some papers. Learning that he can neither read nor write, the astonished banker asks him to imagine where he’d be if he had learned those basic skills. The man responds with some satisfaction, “I’d be verger of St. Peter’s, Neville Square.”

I was reminded of this wonderful story this morning as I read a not-so-wonderful op-ed in the New York Times by Obama booster and actor Tom Hanks, who owes his success, he claims, to his two years of community college. The point comes in the penultimate paragraph:

. I’m guessing the new Congress will squawk at the $60 billion price tag, but I hope the idea sticks, because more veterans, from Iraq and Afghanistan this time, as well as another generation of mothers, single parents and workers who have been out of the job market, need lower obstacles between now and the next chapter of their lives. High school graduates without the finances for a higher education can postpone taking on big loans and maybe luck into the class that will redefine their life’s work. Many lives will be changed.

Give Hanks credit. He openly acknowledges that this latest Obama scheme to expand the entitlement state is expensive. But he also dangles an invisible carrot: To wit, although he doesn’t come and say it, his net worth is $350 million. Get it? Shorter Tom Hanks: U 2 cn ern bg $$ by gng to cmty cllg.

{snip}

Obama’s first year in office, one of the president’s top initiatives has been to make college more affordable and accessible to a larger population, including low-performing students. In so doing, he has devalued a bachelors degree to the point where employers are telling new graduates they are not welcome.
If a college degree is no longer worth the paper it’s printed on, try to imagine how much less of a premium employers are going to place on associate degrees from community colleges.

Edited by B-Man

How many community college students do you know? How many 18-20 year olds do you know? How many of that group have a realistic outlook on their career and lifestyle?

actually know quite a few. have lectured at our local cc but to college for older adults class. it kinda acts as a community center in our area. all kinds of events so plenty of opportunities to be around the kids. i have never gotten the impression of pretension from any that i've met.

Sure it will... :rolleyes:

I know you don't live in reality, but explain to me why the more affluent 4 year universities would be perfectly ok with losing 2 years worth of tuition? There are already instances where two year credits do not transfer.

I know you don't live in reality, but explain to me why the more affluent 4 year universities would be perfectly ok with losing 2 years worth of tuition? There are already instances where two year credits do not transfer.

So what if they are not ok with it? People won't transfer there and the schools that take the credits will get more business. Thats reality :thumbsup:

The first line from the linked article inside the article:

MICHIGAN, May 8, 2012 - Just as the Federal Reserve’s printing of large sums of money has devalued the dollar,

:doh: Sounds creditable

He won't answer it, so I'll give you his answer:

"You see, it's like this. Obama sucks my nuts because he sucks the nuts of all takers who think my car, phone, health insurance and college education should be free. So if Obama says it will work, it will work, because he sucks my nuts. The fact that you can't understand basic economics, and the truth about how free education will reduce everyone's taxes and infrastructure and bushcheneyrummy made mitt give a woman cancer, and besides, Trayvon Martin hands up, don't shoot, I can't breathe and some progressive tellmewhattosaynext."

Pretty much that.

actually know quite a few. have lectured at our local cc but to college for older adults class. it kinda acts as a community center in our area. all kinds of events so plenty of opportunities to be around the kids. i have never gotten the impression of pretension from any that i've met.

I don't mean to imply pretension, only naivete.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the President plans to repeal the law of supply and demand. I mean, this isn't one he can work away around with a phone and a pen. Unless he can, this proposal, if ever enacted, will do catastrophic harm to the working and lower-middle classes.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how the President plans to repeal the law of supply and demand. I mean, this isn't one he can work away around with a phone and a pen. Unless he can, this proposal, if ever enacted, will do catastrophic harm to the working and lower-middle classes.

Probably by introducing a web-based exchange for jobs, where those jobs have to meet certain criteria to be eligible to be filled by those with free associates' degrees. Then once a year, you can go to the web site and change jobs, and your salary will always increase.

It's a tested model, after all.

What are you talking about? It's FREE!! Since when is FREE! a bad thing?

I bet you didn't like Cash for Clunkers! Or all that research we gleaned on grape genetics from the stimulus! Or all the solar benefits of Solyndra! Why, I bet you even hate free health care!

Yes, more drones obviously equals more job opportunity. <_<