President Proposes Nullifying the Value of a 2 Year Degree

actually, i don't accept your premise at the high school level. it's a false comparison. generally, those that aqttend private schools are from relative affluence (with the exception of the ringer jocks) and high levels of parental support and encouragement (and possibly, better genes). now if you were to compare affluent public schools to poor, private schools (i doubt there are any) you'd come to a similarly flawed conclusion.

I suggest you read up on the Charter Schools in NYC. While they may not be "private" they certainly aren't held down (yet) by the politicians and teacher unions. In no way are all or most of them in affluent areas.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better genes?

overall, yes. not often said out loud but i believe it to be true. i'm speaking in generalities. affluence and intelligence are correlated, i believe. smart, successful people are attracted to smart, successful (and attractive) partners and are often successful at finding them producing smart offspring. it's a modern day form of natural selection.

I suggest you read up on the Charter Schools in NYC. While they may not be "private" they certainly aren't held down (yet) by the politicians and teacher unions. In no way are all or most of them in affluent areas.

and there is great debate over their claimed superiority.

overall, yes. not often said out loud but i believe it to be true. i'm speaking in generalities. affluence and intelligence are correlated, i believe. smart, successful people are attracted to smart, successful (and attractive) partners and are often successful at finding them producing smart offspring. it's a modern day form of natural selection.

and there is great debate over their claimed superiority.

Only if you ask a NYC teacher's union.

actually, i don't accept your premise at the high school level. it's a false comparison. generally, those that aqttend private schools are from relative affluence (with the exception of the ringer jocks) and high levels of parental support and encouragement (and possibly, better genes). now if you were to compare affluent public schools to poor, private schools (i doubt there are any) you'd come to a similarly flawed conclusion.

So did you just say that non-affluent people cannot motivate their children?

So did you just say that non-affluent people cannot motivate their children?

no, i didn't say that. read it again. but i will say now that i think expectations of children will often be lower in a household headed by someone that didn't graduate high school compared to one headed by a parent/parents with an advanced degree. in addition, those from more affluent families are more likely to be surrounded by role models that they can emulate and learn from. overall, i think the odds are in their favor. on the other hand, these are the kids more likely to choose to major in art history.

Edited by birdog1960

no, i didn't say that. read it again. but i will say now that i think expectations of children will often be lower in a household headed by someone that didn't graduate high school compared to one headed by a parent/parents with an advanced degree. in addition, those from more affluent families are more likely to be surrounded by role models that they can emulate and learn from. overall, i think the odds are in their favor. on the other hand, these are the kids more likely to choose to major in art history.

Then what did you mean by this other than you lack the ability to construct a coherent sentence?

those that aqttend private schools are from relative affluence (with the exception of the ringer jocks) and high levels of parental support and encouragement

Then what did you mean by this other than you lack the ability to construct a coherent sentence?

people in glass houses...

i meant that private schools are populated mostly by kids from affluent families who are generally very encouraging to their children.

people in glass houses...

i meant that private schools are populated mostly by kids from affluent families who are generally very encouraging to their children.

So non-affluent people are not very encouraging to their children? Keep digging dog you might just find your bone.

If looking at this pragmatically, the question is whether enough people will gain enough marketable skills to justify the investment. Let's be realistic about the % of these resources that will fund classes that never have a meaningful impact on one's earning potential.

We advocate "education" for its own sake. Yes, education is the key to prosperity, but all education is not created equally.

Yes, a liberal arts degree CAN be valuable, but it's often just a way to kill time while someone else pays the Bills. The point is, an education that doesn't adequately prepare you to embark on a gainful career isn't worth much, and that's likely to be the majority of what this program funds.

A better solution would be to focus on making high school more practical again rather than pushing the age at which people become productive back.

And how well is this thought through. What are they going to do if the student doesn't maintain a 2.25 GPA? Bill them or their parents? Why should the parents be responsible for paying their adult child's bills? Either way what are the chances it will be paid?

And how well is this thought through. What are they going to do if the student doesn't maintain a 2.25 GPA? Bill them or their parents? Why should the parents be responsible for paying their adult child's bills? Either way what are the chances it will be paid?

In other words, once again, "as well thought out as the ACA."

Honest question, why do a lot of people assume kids these days are seeking out "liberal arts" degrees? Are there numbers behind what degrees are most popular? I figured IT, medical, business, finance, etc would be most popular, since we are more of a white collar society these days.

Honest question, why do a lot of people assume kids these days are seeking out "liberal arts" degrees? Are there numbers behind what degrees are most popular? I figured IT, medical, business, finance, etc would be most popular, since we are more of a white collar society these days.

Google's your friend.

http://www.myplan.com/majors/top-ten/associates-degrees.php

Interesting... going a step in, it drops to 14th for Bachelor degrees. Makes me wonder if the liberal arts/sciences associates degree is more often used a stepping stone. Thanks for the link :)

I think LA degrees are so big is because they attract kids who are passionate about the subject, and kids who want an easy degree, because they are told that's all that matters. Mostly the second.

I was discussing this with someone at work and realized something else that will definitely happen. 4 year universities will stop accepting credits from 2 year schools. So this will just be two extra years of high school in the end.