President Proposes Nullifying the Value of a 2 Year Degree

Businesses have more than ample qualified applicants for existing positions... This is just further evidence that you haven't been paying any attention, at all, to the labor participation rates.

Further evidence I haven't what? Oh, were you and 3rd-turd compiling "evidence" about me on that?? Lol

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/43465034/ns/business-eye_on_the_economy/t/funding-scarce-training-new-hires/

Funny, I did a quick search and all over the country companies are looking for workers with skills. So you get an F there buddy. Funny!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

POTUS appears to be expert at selecting an issue from his man-purse then throwing it at the wall just to see what will stick. The eerie part of it is that he doesn't even look into the bag to see what he is throwing next. For example, see the past six years worth of foreign non-policy.

A high school diploma is free. Does everyone have one of those?

Hey, speaking of the mindless takers who get their dick sucked by Obama...look who showed up...just the kind of moron who thinks things are free simply because he's too phucking stupid to understand how this country operates.

Tell us...were you the first mindless taker to get your dick sucked by the president or did you have to stand in line again?

No one here will be surprised, but I support publicly funded higher education, I think along with publicly funded healthcare, it strengthens a workforce to become more efficient, and capable.

That being said, in our country, with our corruption, imbalances, and fear of regulation, it simply won't work. If Obama wanted this to actually pass, he would have brought it up during his first couple years, when Democrats had complete power. Instead, this comes off a political maneuver, something to just rally with "look, Republicans don't support education".

I will say, since almost all middle class jobs these days require a Bachelor's, getting kids a "free" (yes, I know taxes pay for this, and I'm ok with it) first couple years will be a big help to easing the burden of student loans. At least until University's respond by increasing prices exponentially. Which is where regulations would need to come in, and that's an impossible battle.

At least until University's respond by increasing prices exponentially. Which is where regulations would need to come in, and that's an impossible battle.

Of course there won't be any new regulations on Colleges or Universities in regards to this plan. Who do you think is lobbying for the Government for this?

If we have to hand out money for people to be motivated to improve their lives, it would have been better if the government would pay for your degree IF you graduated on time (in two years) with at least a B average.

No one here will be surprised, but I support publicly funded higher education, I think along with publicly funded healthcare, it strengthens a workforce to become more efficient, and capable.

That being said, in our country, with our corruption, imbalances, and fear of regulation, it simply won't work. If Obama wanted this to actually pass, he would have brought it up during his first couple years, when Democrats had complete power. Instead, this comes off a political maneuver, something to just rally with "look, Republicans don't support education".

I will say, since almost all middle class jobs these days require a Bachelor's, getting kids a "free" (yes, I know taxes pay for this, and I'm ok with it) first couple years will be a big help to easing the burden of student loans. At least until University's respond by increasing prices exponentially. Which is where regulations would need to come in, and that's an impossible battle.

Why is it, do you think, that most of these "middle class jobs" require at least a Bachelor's? Are you aware that at the beginning on the 1970's, they did not? Nearly the only professions which required a college education were doctors and lawyers. Now, you can't get a job in a call center with a decent company without a Bachelor's. What happened that caused this?

6 reasons the math on Obama’s college plan doesn’t add up

By Anita Kumar :McClatchy Washington BureauJanuary 9, 2015

WASHINGTON — There are at least six reasons that community college won’t be free anytime soon, no matter what President Barack Obama says.

Obama, who traveled Friday to Pellissippi State Community College in Knoxville, Tenn., to tout the America’s College Promise plan, said he wanted to make higher education as accessible as a high school diploma for all Americans.

But the plan has flaws that all but ensure it won’t be implemented and will serve only as a political proposal to make supporters happy. Among the reasons:

6 reasons at the link:

It shouldn't be much longer, now, before Obama starts explaining to everyone his new 'free tuna sandwiches' initiative that will begin with his latest idea of feeding mayonnaise to the fish before they are put in the can.

Good ol' Barry. He's an ideas guy.

Why is it, do you think, that most of these "middle class jobs" require at least a Bachelor's? Are you aware that at the beginning on the 1970's, they did not? Nearly the only professions which required a college education were doctors and lawyers. Now, you can't get a job in a call center with a decent company without a Bachelor's. What happened that caused this?

The government imposed standards for jobs? Every Tom Dick and Sally that wants to be a nurse should at least show they get somewhat educated, don't ya think?

Shhh. The **** doesn't even know there are still apprentice programs in all the skilled trades.

perhaps there are where you live. in Appalachia, and I suspect many other poor communities, not so much.

here's an article describing what i'm saying in broad strokes: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/articles/2014/02/10/apprentice-programs-can-help-fix-the-high-skill-labor-shortage . the first paragraph parrots what so many here say about higher education. i don't think many here can seriously quibble with what it states. the solution could instead look like the charlotte apprentice program linked in the article. problem is that there are way too few of these.

for- profit schools are unsuccessfully filling the void: http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/11/16/for-profit-universities-are-not-inherently-bad-just-empirically-bad/mTMDbC0xUXSYWAdeBD3rwO/story.html. demand for them could dry up overnight if obama's plan is successful. also, keep in mind that the federal dollars going to these largely worthless "schools" could be applied to the community colleges programs.

Edited by birdog1960

The government imposed standards for jobs?

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_Education_Act_of_1965

Every Tom Dick and Sally that wants to be a nurse should at least show they get somewhat educated, don't ya think?

They always have been.

a great idea. we can prioritize skills we most need. evolve community colleges into what the british used to call polytechnics. then revive the skilled apprentice system.

Oh, look...

birdog doesn't understand supply and demand curves. Did anyone not see that coming?