Islamic Terrorism

B-Man

So we either come up with a plan that can stop it completely or we do nothing? Great plan.

Where did I say that? I'm actually in favor, despite being a "liberal", of stricter border security and immigration.

I just think the border issue, in relation to radicalization, is nowhere near as large a part of the problem as recruiters targeting susceptible individuals online. I don't know where you could possibly pull "all or nothing" out of what I posted.

Exactly. Don't let them in, avoid the problem

Except for the attackers who are domestic. Who are many.

We live in the greatest and prolonged peace and health ever. But we (especially in the US) rush to drama and overlook this fact in our overreaction. Calls for parking lots, attacks on civilian targets, restraint on civil liberties, etc define who you are as a country.

Peace, prosperity, and freedom aren't free. But they are worth it.

We live in the greatest and prolonged peace and health ever.

We've been engaged in the longest war in American History for the past 16 years. A war that's killed hundreds of thousands if not millions.

But understanding reality and facts is a struggle for you.

We live in the greatest and prolonged peace and health ever.

Except for all the wars.

Pax Victoria? England was fighting at least two simultaneous wars for all but three years of her reign. Pax Americana is little different.

Except for all the wars.

Pax Victoria? England was fighting at least two simultaneous wars for all but three years of her reign. Pax Americana is little different.

My favorite is when he says we in the US "overlook this fact"... which of course isn't a fact at all but total nonsense.

We've been engaged in the longest war in American History for the past 16 years. A war that's killed hundreds of thousands if not millions.

But understanding reality and facts is a struggle for you.

Except facts and data disagree with you. If you're including the Afghan conflict in your definition of war, then American wars against the Indian nations lasted far longer than 16 years. Deaths from military conflicts are at historic lows, because the world was a much crueler place in the past.

Except facts and data disagree with you. If you're including the Afghan conflict in your definition of war, then American wars against the Indian nations lasted far longer than 16 years. Deaths from military conflicts are at historic lows, because the world was a much crueler place in the past.

So you base cruelty on the number of deaths? That's a pretty simplistic view in my opinion.

Except for all the wars.

And the mortality and health of the rest of the world during Pax Victoria?

Not many people would trade now for then, except the most sense of people here, who laud the last 20 years as an end of days of sorts.

Except for the attackers who are domestic. Who are many.

We live in the greatest and prolonged peace and health ever. But we (especially in the US) rush to drama and overlook this fact in our overreaction. Calls for parking lots, attacks on civilian targets, restraint on civil liberties, etc define who you are as a country.

Even if one subscribes to your premise are you saying we shouldn't strive to do better?

Infant mortality in the 1800s was over 40%.

But let's keep pretending things are urgently worse now. It feeds the chicken littles on the right.

Even if one subscribes to your premise are you saying we shouldn't strive to do better?

Of

Course

Not

But let's also not throw the baby out with the bath water on morality and freedom.

And the mortality and health of the rest of the world during Pax Victoria?

Not many people would trade now for then, except the most sense of people here, who laud the last 20 years as an end of days of sorts.

"We're not living in a time of peace...but mortality's low, so let's call it a time of peace anyway!"

That's !@#$ing retarded.

So you base cruelty on the number of deaths? That's a pretty simplistic view in my opinion.

It's one of the data points, especially in the way wars were conducted then vs now.

Of course they aren't free. They need to be fought for. Sometimes with extreme violence and intolerance toward enemies who DON'T share the same view.

Edited by joesixpack

To throw a wrench in here...

I argue that recruiting online is a bigger issue than preventing refugees/immigration. (although I'm fine with far stricter policies on both.) I'm struggling with how to confront this.

An interesting read from the private sector:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/2016/09/googles-clever-plan-stop-aspiring-isis-recruits/amp/

I would actually like this to be applied more to surveillance/arrests, but I'm interested to hear from some of you who hate large government and probably balk at the idea of surveillance of online activity. While I think the slippery slope argument actually does apply here, I'm generally in favor of targeted online surveillance.

Of course they aren't free. They need to be fought for. Sometimes with extreme violence and intolerance.

You're onto something here. Let's wipe out South America to get rid of the drugs, mainly cocaine. Mexico after that to get rid of those pesky illegals. Africa is up next, well because they're black. All of the ME, minus the Israelis, and Indonesia too. That way we will get rid of most of Islam. Afghanistan for their Muslims and heroin. White people for serial killers and WMDs. Did I leave anyone out. Oh yeah, the Chinese. Then we can have our jobs back. India too while we're at it.

HEAVY SARCASM in use.