Ex Syracuse assistant coach rips Marrone.

Tipster19

FWIW this strikes me as 100% sour grapes. I lived in the Syracuse area and have some insight into this. Casullo has had previous stints as an assistant coach at Syracuse without her head coaches and is typically been let go. He was simply a barely competent wherever he has been. Marrone fire him because he was bad at his job. In my opinion Casullo has embarrassed himself with this report. He says nothing at all about Marrone. While at Syracuse there were no issues whatsoever regarding his alleged self-centeredness, etc. In my opinion this is basically all crap. Why do you think Casullo hasn't been able to get a coaching job since? All of his other assistant coaches sang his praises. For him it was just a matter of putting together the best coaching staff he could to win games.

This stuff has gotten way out of hand. Take it with a grain of salt would be my suggestion .

It could very well be sour grapes. But Manisha Mehta's articles - with sources in Buffalo - seem to paint the very same picture.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tipster, at least as one poster noted, I have argued my support of Marrone and the coaching job he did elsewhere on the board. I'll just say this. The Bills were 9-7 which was the best record they had in 10 years. Marrone gets the lion's share of the credit for this. That's how it works for a head coach for better or for worse. He did not under accomplish by any means whatsoever. Go ahead, you get the last word.

Forward progress does not necessarily equate to an acceptable level of accomplishment. (9-7) with that team/that schedule is absolutely an under-accomplishment. Something that sucks a little less than the year before's model still sucks. It just sucks a little less.

But Saint, to be fair, he had to have his team play in front of two of the most bat chit crazy,most emotional home games in history(1-1), had a new super rich owner take over the team after the first week... and be greeted as a savior .

Also, had to miss a whole day of practice and still prepare to play the Jets(4-12) , and lost a starter on D for the season...i mean the adversity this guy faced as a coach was unprecedented .

Arghh...i should dig up that thread when Schein was first calling for Marrone to get some nods for coach of the year and said the job he did while facing "great adversity" was outstanding....and i went nuts then too.

Feel bad for the next guy, when the Bills might actually face some adversity like the Cardinals did this year, and not have everything break right for them(3 missed field goals in a game), nest to no injuries, no 4th down miracles, don't play a team laying down last week of the year...and the record slides a bit back and we hear next year from all his supporters

"see, should have kept Dougie".can just hear PTR now saying"Buffalo fans get what they deserve, had a winner and ran him out of town"

My worst fear

When did Doug's agent start an account here at 2BD?

Doug can go **** himself. I hope he ends up blowing all his money in lousy real estate deals and ends up homeless like George Constanza's gym teacher.

"Cantstandjah!!"

I think you are confusing the credit he will get in the media vs credit deserved for accomplishments (good or bad). 9-7 is good but this was a team that with average coaching should've been 8-9 wins based on their talent. They were also very healthy all things considered. Top notch coaching probably has them in the playoffs

The quality of coaching had little to do with not making the playoffs. Marrone got an 8-8 caliber of team to play at its level. No HC was going to overcome the caliber of qbs he had on the roster. In addition to having the worst starting qb in the league he also had one of the least talented OLs in the league.

Doug Marrone did a solid job considering the major limitations he had to work with on offense. He is far from being an innovative coach who can design schemes to overcome his talent deficiencies. No scheme is going to compensate for a qb who can't move and make plays. To his credit he got his players to play hard and held them accountable for their performances.

Losing Marrone is not a devastating loss. A comparable or better replacement can be found. Unless a competent qb and more talent is added to the OL this offseason the team will again be watching the post season from their couches, regardless who the next HC is.

The quality of coaching had little to do with not making the playoffs. Marrone got an 8-8 caliber of team to play at its level. No HC was going to overcome the caliber of qbs he had on the roster. In addition to having the worst starting qb in the league he also had one of the least talented OLs in the league.

Doug Marrone did a solid job considering the major limitations he had to work with on offense. He is far from being an innovative coach who can design schemes to overcome his talent deficiencies. No scheme is going to compensate for a qb who can't move and make plays. To his credit he got his players to play hard and held them accountable for their performances.

Losing Marrone is not a devastating loss. A comparable or better replacement can be found. Unless a competent qb and more talent is added to the OL this offseason the team will again be watching the post season from their couches, regardless who the next HC is.

People say this all the time but it's the NFL. Guys always play hard because they are competing for jobs and if you go half speed in football, you will get injuried. But I agree with your thoughts and it's why I never thought Marrone was anything special this year. You could sub almost any coach into this team and we would have the same record.

Eh, no real details, mostly opinion from a guy who could have an axe to grind. But he at least is coming out and owning it. (All you jumping to the conclusion I'm defending Marrone here, unwad you panties. I'm not. Just commenting on this particular person's comment.)

Eh, no real details, mostly opinion from a guy who could have an axe to grind. But he at least is coming out and owning it. (All you jumping to the conclusion I'm defending Marrone here, unwad you panties. I'm not. Just commenting on this particular person's comment.)

I agree the big thing is he is putting his name to it. That's a big statement. I never pay attention to unnamed sources.

Granted the quarterbacking is weak but I feel that some of the players on the OL regressed under Marrone's watch. The guy is a former OL so why is that? Players make a difference but so do coaches. I don't feel that Marrone made that much a difference this past season. If anything the guy ran a local kid out of town and benched players that could have contributed, especially on such a weak offense imo. When does the coaching come into play here?

How was this not known by Brandon, Nix, Etc. was his chubby in the way? heads should roll for this horrible hire. Do people do even the slighest background checks on the personality, how one works with others, etc. Or does winning a couple of pinhead bowls do the trick?

it just seems Maroon has more enemys than friends in the world of football. Which is why Old Man Polian backing out the door is good news for the franchise. he liked the moron. Hasn't done crap in years and was a nostalgia hire. Plus he needs new teeth they look worse than Keith Richards circa 1975.

might one argue that his lack of innovation and offensive development might be part of why we were stuck relying on an immobile journeyman?

or that strategic decisions such as gameplanning when to go run heavy vs pass heavy, and the type of scheming might have won us 1-2 more games? its not like our losses werent close. that its possible he mightve made some decisions along the way with personnel that couldve been handled better (urbik). Im not saying a different coach gets every decision right and every bounce goes his way, but i dont think its a stretch to say that marrone wasnt a "+1" coach like some others might have been.

as far as head coaches go, i generally agree with your sentiments about him. hes middle of the pack, and he faced some big challenges.

I think you are confusing the credit he will get in the media vs credit deserved for accomplishments (good or bad). 9-7 is good but this was a team that with average coaching should've been 8-9 wins based on their talent. They were also very healthy all things considered. Top notch coaching probably has them in the playoffs

Nailed it.

The health thing is another point not often brought up. The biggest injury was Kiko which occurred in the off season and thus the team was able to scheme with out him.

The main reason this team went 9-7 was D play. We know that. IF Marrone only realized how inept he is on the O side of the ball as he is on the D side maybe the Bills would be in the playoffs! By this i mean if Marrone had hired a good OC this team is an 11 win team maybe 12, Due to Marrones ego he will not admit that himself or Hackett is in over their heads.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975