Pegula - better be lucky than have his Plan A?

GG

If MArrone was about to win the power struggle and get AJ and Polian and move Russ and WHaley out, why would he drop all that to go to the disaster that is Woody Johnson and the Jets?

Doesn't make much sense.

No it does not. Marrone may have been offered an extension, but not additional power.

And if the plan was to get rid of Whaley and Brandon, why not just do it? Why are they still there?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

But it's weird that Marrone is interviewing elsewhere like Atlanta. If the Jets were that hot for Doug would he have left NY without an offer? I think the wave of bad press, or possible tampering charges, might have scared Johnson off.

I don't see why Sexton wouldn't have tried to arrange more interview to make it look kosher.

I'm becoming more convinced that if Daily News wasn't so vocal last week, the hire would have been made.

I know it goes fully against Bills tradition but I am starting to feel that the events recently will be the luckiest thing to happen to the franchise in 20 years.

I agree. I said it before but when the season ended, if I had my choice, stubborn power hungry Marrone would be gone, Whaley would be my GM, and a new offensive philosophy would be brought in to take over with Schwartz staying. That looks to be happening, although Schwartz remains up in the air.

I don't see why Sexton wouldn't have tried to arrange more interview to make it look kosher.

I'm becoming more convinced that if Daily News wasn't so vocal last week, the hire would have been made.

For once, their bashing of the team is really helping the cause and the best thing for it, even though they didn't know?

Just asking about the "many reports" about Marine's extension. Wasn't it just one report from LaCanfora that some of us pegged as getting fed him directly from Marrone' s people? Was it ever corroborated?

I think that Marrone's extension was "leaked" from the Bills organization because they needed to establish that they wanted to keep Marrone long term. Why? Because when they file the tampering charges on the Jets (if Marrone is hired), and if they win the case, they would be in line to get the Jets 6th overall pick in the next draft.

Marrone's camp leaking the story is crazy because of the ramifications of tampering. Why would they highlight the Bills wanting him to stay?

Edited by 1billsfan

Why? Because when they file the tampering charges on the Jets (if Marrone is hired), and if they win the case, they would be in line to get the Jets 6th overall pick in the next draft.

Is this true? In tampering cases, is the team who is tampered with awarded the tamperer's pick or is the pick just forfeited? Any examples?

My guess is: there is truth to Marrone having issues with the personnel people and wanting more authority. We've all seen the Bills draft day video and he is a Parcells guy after all.

My guess is: that Polian wanted to keep Marrone, Orton and bring in Smith to run personnel.

My guess is that the Pegulas were going to give Marrone an extension, but not the power he requested, and do what Polian wanted. They are now leaking the extension stuff.

My Guess is : Polian thought the so-called Czar roll sounded good and wasn't a major rebuild job.

My Guess: then he heard from his Buddy Doug that it was business as usual at 1BD. They were still calling him names and Pegulas had no plans to get rid of some at 1BD.And that they would Fug up their plans. So he said Fug it! especially since his boy said he was leaving.

My guess is Sexton/Marrone said we can get 4 mil for nothing, go to my hometown and get what we want and be the savior, get away from the Media and people at 1BD who I've worn out. And, that it was great to have Polian say I was a COY candidate, but being the selfish prick I am-well I can run my own show in NY and don't need Bill and his old personnel guy.

My guess is no more complicated than that. Really pretty simple.

Edited by moreproblemsthanOrton

I think that Marrone's extension was "leaked" from the Bills organization because they needed to establish that they wanted to keep Marrone long term. Why? Because when they file the tampering charges on the Jets (if Marrone is hired), and if they win the case, they would be in line to get the Jets 6th overall pick in the next draft.

Good point. But it will be interesting to see whether Marrone's "opt out clause" mitigates the Bills' tampering argument. What good is an "opt out clause" if the coach can't pursue opportunities? Unless the clause included specific procedural requirements that required another team to contact the Bills before talking to Marrone.

I agree. I said it before but when the season ended, if I had my choice, stubborn power hungry Marrone would be gone, Whaley would be my GM, and a new offensive philosophy would be brought in to take over with Schwartz staying. That looks to be happening, although Schwartz remains up in the air.

For once, their bashing of the team is really helping the cause and the best thing for it, even though they didn't know?

It's obvious that Marrone and Whaley were not on the same page. Marrone acted as if he was the primary authority on the makeup of the roster instead of being subordinate to the GM. Whaley didn't interfere with Marrone doing his job. But Marrone was prickly and dismissive in the manner he worked with the GM. I have no problem with the HC telling the GM that EJ was not ready as a starter and that he was not willing to give up on the season with him as his starter. Instead of giving the GM the courtesy of notifying him before making the change he made the change prior to informing the GM. The GM would not have insisted on keeping EJ as the starter. He certainly would have deferred to the HC on player decisions. But he demonstrated a lack of respect to the GM when he abruptly made the qb change.

My point isn't that Marrone was wrong in making the change. Because he was right with respect to the decision but clumsy in the manner he handled it. That was a clear indication that there was not so much a personal friction between the two but there was an incompatiblity in philosophies and organizational relationships.

In my view Marrone is a solid coach. He got an 8-8 caliber of team to play to its level. However, he is not very creative, especially on the offensive side of the game. In fairness to him he was stuck with an impossible qbing situation that didn't allow him much to work with.

The challenge for Whaley is for him to select his own HC. In that way there is a lower probability for a lack of compatability between himself and the HC. The primary challenge for Whaley is for him to come up with a credible bridge qb, such as Josh McCown, who can buy the organization some time before they select their long term franchise qb.

Edited by JohnC

That was Plan A all along. So what happened that torpedoed the whole thing? My hunch is that Sexton called to tell Marrone the Jets job is available for him, and Marrone bolted. That was the end of Plan A.

This just brought to mind that Sexton gets an additional 10% of the new deal Marrone signs...kinda of a big incentive to advise him to opt out

Personally, I don't believe the AJ Smith elements. Marrone wanted more power over personnel period. AJ Smith was not going to give it to him, and even though Polian and Marrone seem to be close, they have never worked together. It seems Polian likes him from afar. The Polian, Smith, Marrone trio would be worse than it is now, Clash of The Massive Egos. I only saw one time one little blurb about AJ Smith. Didnt believe it then or now. And that really wouldn't be starting over. That would just be old Bills cronies that Ralph didnt like.

I also think it would have been hard for the Pegulas to completely give up power to Polian and Smith without really bringing them in first, unless they had met and had long discussions, which I guess is possible.

I agree. AJ Smith has a huge ego and a history of not getting along with coaches - especially a coach he did not hire. He and Marrone would have had a fist fight.

Good point. But it will be interesting to see whether Marrone's "opt out clause" mitigates the Bills' tampering argument. What good is an "opt out clause" if the coach can't pursue opportunities? Unless the clause included specific procedural requirements that required another team to contact the Bills before talking to Marrone.

I think this is above our pay grade...LOL

Maybe if Marrone is hired by the Jets, the local beat reporters can investigate this whole thing. Especially if the Bills do nothing and don't file charges on the Jets. The second domino to fall will be Marrone getting hired by the Jets. After that, we shall see what the Bills do. If they don't file charges then I will wonder why.

I agree with that. I have a feeling that the Jets may have gotten (or are getting) cold feet because of that, potential tampering, and the other things that they are finding out about St. Doug. I also think that a lot of Jets fan will end up saying: "We fired Rex for this?!?" if the Jets hire Marrone.

There are so many other guys that the Jets could hire that, not only would be better, but would avoid all of the crap above.

This just brought to mind that Sexton gets an additional 10% of the new deal Marrone signs...kinda of a big incentive to advise him to opt out

I think in these deals the agents get 2%. In different businesses they get different percentages. I could be wrong.

But I do believe that Sexton wanted him to quit. In Buffalo he has one more year and probaby fired. In NY or else he gets the 4m plus 3-4 more years of guaranteed money.

I think in these deals the agents get 2%. In different businesses they get different percentages. I could be wrong.

But I do believe that Sexton wanted him to quit. In Buffalo he has one more year and probaby fired. In NY or else he gets the 4m plus 3-4 more years of guaranteed money.

ahhh, did not know that, always thought around 10%...even more incentive for Sexton to get him to move :worthy:

I am soooooo hoping that all communication between Marrone & Sexton was over Bills' email accounts or on texts on a phone provided by Buffalo Bills inc.

ahhh, did not know that, always thought around 10%...even more incentive for Sexton to get him to move :worthy:

Yeah, most is 3%.

2) Agents don’t make 10% of a players contract: I’m still surprised by how many people think agents take a big cut of a players contract. The Players Association has capped what agents make at 3% max on contracts. 2% on first time franchise/transition tags (or RFA’s), 1.5 % on second time franchise/transition tags, and 1% on third time tags. Even in the 80’s I believe the cap was 5% then.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-myths-of-the-NFL-agent-business.html