So why hire a head coach first and then a "football czar"?

It has been made clear that Pegula has wanted to hire a "football czar" in Polian (now we are having tv personalities use us as leverage for contracts which is a new all time low). Who most likely would have got rid of Brandon or Whaley or both. And according to all reports Pegula still wants to bring in a "czar".

However in the mean time along with himself, Pegula is putting two guys he went behind their back to in all likely hood get rid of to head the coaching search. So my question is why hire a head coach first and then hire someone to come advise the team on all football decisions.

What are the odds this "czar" is going to agree with two people he will probably get rid of and then we have a lame duck coach and set ourselves back another year or two. We know how that goes "this general manager has no ties to these coaches so he owes nothing to the old coaching staff".

I feel i have presented the facts but I am sure everything here will be twisted and picked apart. How does this strategy make any sense?

Edited by Estelle Getty

i do not get the czar concept at all. never worked anywhere.

hire a good gm and coach. or vice versa. if you feel strongly about the coach :D

That person should be fired then. This is a fiasco. The cart's before the horse, there are all kinds of organizational issues, and I mean standard ones that shouldn't exist in any organization much less a people oriented one.

I see no reason to think that this isn't all at face value. Hammering that notion home is the fact that things have been around this dysfunctional for years, should we really have believed that novice owners would have a smooth plan in place?

If so, wouldn't the time to evaulate have been from the time that the Pegula's were approved as owners 'til the end of the season?

Have to wonder if someone is already working for El Pegula that we don't know about

Thought about the same thing. On the road with Brandon and Whaley might get uncomfortable in regards to evaluating candidates. and he needs a objective opinion now and then.Someone not brown nosing him non stop and zero involvement with the franchise.

He must have someone on speed dial. I wonder about Kim's involvement. I bet she can veto some of the Bills staff?

That person should be fired then. This is a fiasco. The cart's before the horse, there are all kinds of organizational issues, and I mean standard ones that shouldn't exist in any organization much less a people oriented one.

I see no reason to think that this isn't all at face value. Hammering that notion home is the fact that things have been around this dysfunctional for years, should we really have believed that novice owners would have a smooth plan in place?

If so, wouldn't the time to evaulate have been from the time that the Pegula's were approved as owners 'til the end of the season?

well, you think if a new salesman is needed you fire the controller too? really, if you can´t make your employees work together you shouldn´t be a boss.

Maybe he wants a new Team President/CEO, essentially replacing/demoting Brandon.

I imagine TPegs is a busy guy and doesn't want or think he can be in charge of all the goings on with the team. But he doesn't think or want Brandon or Whaley to run the whole show. So, he was hoping to bring in someone with experience, e.g. Polian, to run his $1.4billion dollar investment.

He could still do that. If the new guy determines that Brandon or Whaley or Overdorf or anyone needs to be replaced, they would be. But, Marrone quitting changed the plan a little. TPegs knows, as well as anyone, you can't wait too long without running a significant risk of loosing the best HC candidates. So TPegs is filling the role until he has time to bring in someone he trusts to run it all.

Just a thought.

Pegula didn't go behind anybody's back. He owns the team and can do whatever he wants. That means he is not obligated to tell anyone what he is up to. If anyone's wittle feewings were hurt by it, too bad.

Exactly

This is his business. He doesn't need to check with Russ first.

This, and why most people don't get this is beyond me.

Because Polian described it as a "heavy lift." He also talked about 3 and 5 year commitments. Neither of which seemed consistent with a consulting/advisory role. That left me somewhat confused as to the Pegula's vision for this "outside set of eyes."

If you want someone to run the business, then why not Brandon. You don't need a football background to do that. He basically would be representing the owner. How many owners particularly new ones no that much about football, they are business men.

I imagine TPegs is a busy guy and doesn't want or think he can be in charge of all the goings on with the team. But he doesn't think or want Brandon or Whaley to run the whole show. So, he was hoping to bring in someone with experience, e.g. Polian, to run his $1.4billion dollar investment.

Just a thought.

Who know what if anything was really offered. The more I hear from Pollian, I question if he was offered anything? Is he just trying to say he turned it down when nothing was even offered. Why would he go on record as giving advise tothe Pegula's based on something he was told by Marrone, the same guy who allegedly quit when he heard a czar such as Pollian was being brought in?

Because Polian described it as a "heavy lift." He also talked about 3 and 5 year commitments. Neither of which seemed consistent with a consulting/advisory role. That left me somewhat confused as to the Pegula's vision for this "outside set of eyes."

Because the football czar is being brought in to evaluate, not make the big decisions. The coaching search needs to happen now.

Agree.

I actually do not see the need for a Czar at all. A "consultant" on the other hand would have been useful for newbie owners like the Pegula's. The "consultant" would provide an independent assessment of the football operations directly to Pegula as well as advice on implementation. Pegula can decide what advice, if any, to take and then go from there. The best time to do that was right away. Given that Pegs had is mind made up on Polian, that did not happen.

Somehow the original thought of bringing in a "consultant" to advise grew into hiring Bill Polian as the fulltime football operations man. If Polian was looking to advise and step away, then you can see why he backed off when Marrone bailed and the job turned into a coaching search.

So to me the consultant/advisor role and "Czar" are not the same thing. The best reason I see to have a position of Football Operations President (i.e.Czar) is to limit the football people reporting to Pegula to just 1.