Scathing article in NY Daily News on Marrone

YoloinOhio

It just occurred to me that the Bills haven't lost $4M on the opt-out clause, they saved $4M.

Everything coming out now, PLUS the decline in offense and the OC and QB situations, say Marrone shouldn't be a head coach. If the Pegulas had fired him (a BIGGG if) they'd owe him the last 2 years on his contract (= 2015 $4M + 2016 $4M). Since he opted out they only owe him one. And best of all he's not the coach.

Meanwhile I keep praying the Jets hire him asap.

Not really. They still have to pay another coach to come in.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bear in mind this was an article in the Daily News.

I don't think this will have an impact on the hiring or non-hiring of Doug Marrone. The interviewing party should have more information than the press. They don't care about anything but winning. Doug's team whipped the Jets 3 times in a row. That Marrone was the head coach is evidence he knows what he's doing.

Many people are taken aback by his unearned arrogance. That's fine. I don't like him any more. But he has gotten himself to this point in his life, and he's in the running for another coaching job. He's doing something significant.

I don't blame the Bills for hiring him. Most people at the time thought it was a great hire. He took a horrible team and made them competitive.

The author of this article is NY version of Sullivan

Except he's actually interesting and is read nationally by football fans

Good luck Doug!

Those are some pretty specific stories abd details.

For example, Marrone was angry listening to WGR on the way to work. He had a bit of a drive so it makes sense he would see what fans were saying and it makes sense he would get angry listening to that station.

Still, where did that detail come from? Had to be something Marrone told someone with the Bills and they told it to the writer.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Well, a few quotes that hit issues we've debated pretty squarely- beyond being power hungry, thin skinned and unliked by many in the building I thought this was interesting:

Which shows how bad of coach he is; The Oline was good when he got here and then it went from that to poor to horrendous

Why the hell was he listening to local radio? I bet he thought after the Packers win, WGR would be singing his praises. Haha, whoops.

EDIT: Oh, and welcome to New Jersey Doug.

Wonder if he read this board too; he must have lost his mind :D

It sucks for these players because they couldn't even stand up to this f*ck face. They saw what happened to mike. If they pissed him off, they knew he would mess with their careers.

I was half kidding months ago when I said that Marrone traded for Mike just to mess with him because the score wasn't settled yet from syracuse. Now i'm thinking that may be the case. He NEVER got a chance here...from day one. This guy is really unbelievable.

With all the talk about him trashing the bills to other people arounderstand the league, it would be nice to see someone from the bills FO stand up for the team instead of just taking it like a B word. Something tells me Marrone isn't done yet. What happens when the bills make an offer to the coach they want? Who do you think that person's first call will be?

Also, this almost makes me want to keep spiller around another year somehow. I wonder if he was also on marrone's sh*t list. Marrone clearly wanted his rb to run into a pile every play. Since that wasn't spiller's strength, he should have used him differently. We all saw that he wasn't used properly. I bet Doug said my way or the highway with spiller too.

Edited by Tampa Bob

There is not much the Bills can do now about Marrone, except pay him his money and be glad he opted out. However, articles like this make one wonder who within the organization enabled and defended such a colossal jackass. I'm looking at you, Russ.

Edited by mannc

Funny, a day before this article came out, a friend related to me how Marrone had screamed at the marketing department for putting a video on the Bills website without his approval. I half dismissed it (even though my guy tends to be accurate). Now it's been basically confirmed by this article.

It also reminds me of a conversation I had with another low level OBD employee prior to the Lions preseason game. Without specifically naming Marrone, he said that Gailey was missed and now people walked around on eggshells. He described the vibe as being tense.

Good riddance.

Haha. Can we PLEASE start bumping the threads from 1 yr ago where people started ripping Marrone bc of his demeanor? Id just like to keep tabs on who was right and who wasnt. Because i know many of us were right.

Hey, I'll freely admit I thought much of the chatter was nonsense, because I couldn't believe somebody would act that way in his position. In retrospect, where there was smoke, there appears to have been fire.

I think we'll look back at the meaningless win in Foxboro as a great thing, because it gave Marrone his perceived "leverage" to walk into Pegula's office and make his demands.

Funny, a day before this article came out, a friend related to me how Marrone had screamed at the marketing department for putting a video on the Bills website without his approval. I half dismissed it (even though my guy tends to be accurate). Now it's been basically confirmed by this article.

It also reminds me of a conversation I had with another low level OBD employee prior to the Lions preseason game. Without specifically naming Marrone, he said that Gailey was missed and now people walked around on eggshells. He described the vibe as being tense.

Good riddance.

There was a video of Mike Wiliams about the lack of adjustments in Houston. I wonder if that is the one. Williams went 1984 soon after.

There's also the perception that a coach must be something special to get Buffalo to 9-7 because...y'know, it's Buffalo.

Hell, he's getting credit for the win against the Jets in Detroit, which by the Bills' players' admission was their best week of preparation this season, in part because they were stuck at home with nothing to do but watch film. When your best-prepared week is a week when you don't directly interact with your players, you might just suck as a coach.

Yep, that says a lot. I hope he saves well and gets fired from his next job as OLine coach.

At Slippery Rock.

Hey, I'll freely admit I thought much of the chatter was nonsense, because I couldn't believe somebody would act that way in his position. In retrospect, where there was smoke, there appears to have been fire.

I think we'll look back at the meaningless win in Foxboro as a great thing, because it gave Marrone his perceived "leverage" to walk into Pegula's office and make his demands.

I really gave him the benefit of the doubt as well - thought he deserved a fair shake and probably just didn't want to believe any of it.

Here comes the spin

@ProFootballTalk: If unnamed Bills sources think Marrone is an average coach, shouldn't they keep quiet until after the Jets hire him? http://t.co/ec4Y8AZRXN

Edited by YoloinOhio

I have a buddy closely connected with SU football. He was saying pretty much all of these exact same things about Marrone 18 months ago.

I can't believe he has risen to this level and pays so much attention to local media. Gotta let that sh#t go, St. Dougie.

The whole Marrone thing has tarnished my opinion of Brandon too. He was such a strong supporter of Marrone. Makes Brandon look foolish and hurts his integrity in my opinion. Hard to take anything Brandon says as 100% truthful anymore. Schmuck.

There is this in the Mehta's article here:

"There was friction between Marrone and the Bills front office, so it’s a virtual certainty that he’d be involved in picking the new GM."

Maybe Russ will be the new GM of the NEYTS.

There is this in the Mehta's article here:

"There was friction between Marrone and the Bills front office, so its a virtual certainty that hed be involved in picking the new GM."

Maybe Russ will be the new GM of the NEYTS.

375]

wow - Marrone is so successful that he warrants circumventing their stated process of hiring the GM first? They are catering right to his enormous ego. Do it, Jests. The pats are ecstatic they still will have Doug in the division.