We need a Coach & OC that can properly develop EJ

BmarvB

that's a low blow, pal - great quote :D

:D It was half a joke but half serious. We don't necessarily need the guy who is the innovator in the bringing this new idea into the league variety, it's more important to have a guy that is up on all of the latest trends, knows how to integrate them all, and comprise an identity on offense built around the skills of the players you have, plus call plays. I don't care at all that none of those things were Bevell's original design. I care that what he does with all of it and the old stuff and the offense and plays that he runs.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to hire a HC based on EJ's need for a mentor. Especially when I'm not convinced EJ will ever be a good starter, even with the best mentors in the world. I want a HC who's a great HC, not just a QB guru.

I do however believe we should find the best QB coach around. Maybe we already have him - Todd Downing. I don't know. Given that we might not find a QB better than EJ before the 2015 season begins, it makes obvious sense to coach EJ up as best as possible.

And we need a creative OC who doesn't need a top-flight QB to deliver offensive production. Because we're probably not going to have that kind of QB next year. Adam Gase is a great coordinator when he has Peyton Manning out there. I wonder what he could do with a lesser QB.

Edited by hondo in seattle

not the search but needs to be considered. I am sure the interviewee has an interest in what we offer for a QB, Don't you agree ?

Well yes, I would hope the coaching candidate is made aware that EJ is on the roster. I bet all of the candidates will know that already, in fact. What I'm saying is that I don't think any of our coaching candidates should be judged according to how they are perceived to mesh with EJ.

Well yes, I would hope the coaching candidate is made aware that EJ is on the roster. I bet all of the candidates will know that already, in fact. What I'm saying is that I don't think any of our coaching candidates should be judged according to how they are perceived to mesh with EJ.

Oh No of course. I think the Bills HC job will be judged by the candidate by the question marks at QB we have right now.

Keep in mind at this level they are interviewing each other. :D

I'm kinda hoping the Bills hire an experienced offensive ex HC who knows the ins and outs of the job already.

I think someone like Gary Kubiak would be a better choice then some unknown at coordinator. 10-6 in Houston in 2011, 12-4 in 2012., and the team went 2-14 in 2013 when QB Matt Schaub imploded

Kubiak took a statue QB in Flacco who had 619 passing attempts in 2013, and the team had only 423 rushing attempts. while he threw 19 TD's to 23 INT's.

Enter Kubiak and he build a very effective power zone blocking scheme, and tones down on the passing to have Flacco throw 27 TD's to 12 INT's. That Baltimore offense last year under Caldwell was 25th & 29th to this year undre Kubiak 8th & 12th.

I'm kinda surprised Kubiak isn't getting more HCing looks

Bevell is my top choice for HC along with Schwartz, and I think that he would have the best chance to develop him. It's possible that Reich could help him along with an OC and QB coach, but that would be three new guys in his ear, when that was one of his biggest issues, thinking too much and not just playing football.

If Bevell were the HC and took control of the offense and EJ (along with whomever else they brought in as a vet backup or stopgap starter) and promoted Schwartz to Associate HC and gave him a huge raise, that would be our best bet outside of Chip Kelly.

Agreed. He's my number 1 as long as Schwartz stays on board

I don't want to hire a HC based on EJ's need for a mentor. Especially when I'm not convinced EJ will ever be a good starter, even with the best mentors in the world. I want a HC who's a great HC, not just a QB guru.

Look at it this way, rather.

I want a coach who is going to best deploy the personnel he has. Harbaugh figured out what Alex Smith was good at, and when he had someone who better suited his ambitions, he made the switch. You don't have to be an EJ fan to see that he may be the best we have for a little bit. In that case, of course, you want to look to get better, and to make it a competition, but I would rather have a coach who figures out what can be done with EJ than a coach who sits on his hands or storms away when the going gets tough.

I hope the search for a head coach has nothing to do with EJ

I'm sorry, but if the interview is not about what QB you're going develop, be it EJ or another young QB, then the interview shouldn't even take place. Do you think we haven't been to the playoffs since forever due to poor defensive play, the wrong WRs, or a poor running game? Like it not, we already own the rights to EJ, so we better see if we can make it work or move on.

I'm sorry, but if the interview is not about what QB you're going develop, be it EJ or another young QB, then the interview shouldn't even take place. Do you think we haven't been to the playoffs since forever due to poor defensive play, the wrong WRs, or a poor running game? Like it not, we already own the rights to EJ, so we better see if we can make it work or move on.

Tying the next coach to EJ's progression prevents moving on.

this, from the link posted above.. sound familiar?

"I would like to see what the Seahawks offense would look like with a new OC. I could be wrong but I think bevell is a terrible play caller and the only reason the hawks offense is average is because Russell extends drives with his creativity. If I see one more WR screen for negative yardage Im gonna throw up. Even my wife who knows nothing about football but likes to watch it with me complains about it."

ok, ok... so everybody's a critic, right?.. so i'll let the Bevell advocates explain how

• Tom Cable's outstanding work with the O-line
  • Marshawn Lynch's fierce execution of the outside zone
  • Pete Carroll's imaginative adaption of Gus Malzahn's 'play option pass' into their vertical passing game
  • Russell Wilson's terrific intincts
translate to earning a head coaching job for my Bills - let alone an interview for OC..

my point is - don't believe all the hype surrounding these young assistants/coordinators.. much, if not all of their success is built upon foundations laid by experienced coaches, and executed by very talented players. as far as any of us know, the OC in Tampa Bay may be head and shoulders over Bevell. this isn't to say that Bevell doesn't have a good football mind.. i know that Hackett has an excellent football mind.. but Bevell has been able to prepare under Carroll - and Nate, well.. you get it.

i'll be very dissappointed if Whaley is pressured to hire a 'hot commodity' whose current resume reflects the accomplishments of others - because the 'others' aren't coming along

So do you have some real gems that got mediocre play from awful teams with terrible head coaches to point us to? Or?

Agreed. That's why Chan would make a lot of sense as OC, as improbable as that is. I haven't seen any better proven OC's out there with a track record of developing young or mediocre QB talent into results. The guy worked wonders with QB's like: Mike Tomczak, Kordell Stewart, Jay Fiedler, Tyler Thigpen, and Fitz.

True. I'd love to see what Chan could do with a young QB with actual tools to work with.

It's interesting to me that Polian said that the departure of Orton played a role in his decision. I mean, it's not like the Bills don't have a big-armed first round qb going into his third season on the roster! Now that we're pretty sure that Marrone gave Polian the lowdown (in his view) of the overall situation, I can't help but think that Marrone told Polian in no uncertain terms that Manuel was a no-hope bust.

IMO, Polian already knew everything there was to know about both Orton and Manuel before Marrone alledgedly said something. Polian is no dummy, no doubt he would not have signed up for that kind of position without know everything.

We need a head coach that will send ej packing. Hes had 2 years and shown regression not progression. He has not shown any flashes at all of any potential. Its time for a coach that will call a duck a duck and not a swan that it will never be. Cann ej today.

I can't help but think that Marrone told Polian in no uncertain terms that Manuel was a no-hope bust.

Say he did.... What does he know?? It's more and more apparent with each passing day, few if any are spot on in assessing Qb prospects.

The league is littered with first round flops and sprinkled with later round successes.

EJ has the chance still to show he is either.

I will say Pittsburgh has clearly demonstrated the difference a new OC and approach can make.