RIP Ellie May Clampett/Donna Douglas

boyst

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/01/02/beverly-hillbillies-star-donna-douglas-dies-at-81/21195559/

One of the best shows of all time. You could always laugh during an episode.

Donna Douglas, who played hillbilly bombshell Elly May Clampett on the baby-boomer-beloved 1960s sitcom The Beverly Hillbillies, has died. She was 82.

Charlene Smith, her niece-in-law, confirmed Friday to USA TODAY that she died of pancreatic cancer on New Year's Day at Baton Rouge General Hospital, near her home in Zachary, La.
Edited by jboyst62

So, she was in her 30s throughout that BH run? Why'd I think she was like a teenager or maybe a little older.

Very questionable calling the Beverly Hillbillies one of the best shows of all time, BTW.

So, she was in her 30s throughout that BH run? Why'd I think she was like a teenager or maybe a little older.

Very questionable calling the Beverly Hillbillies one of the best shows of all time, BTW.

as far as sitcoms? Nah. It is better then anything on TV today.

I don't watch any today, but there's got to be 50 of them in the 70s and 80s that were better.

The president of CBS approved it and never watched an episode, even though it had incredible ratings.

CBS actually got rid of all these cornball sitcoms, even with their super high ratings, to switch to All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. A risky move but it paid off with high quality and meaningful shows.

That said, the one cornball one that I love because it's so stupid and makes no bones about it is Green Acres!

I don't watch any today, but there's got to be 50 of them in the 70s and 80s that were better.

The president of CBS approved it and never watched an episode, even though it had incredible ratings.

CBS actually got rid of all these cornball sitcoms, even with their super high ratings, to switch to All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, etc. A risky move but it paid off with high quality and meaningful shows.

That said, the one cornball one that I love because it's so stupid and makes no bones about it is Green Acres!

Yet... The beauty of Green Acres is that in all it's zaniest (is that a word?) glory, there were times when a meaningful message could be conveyed. Really, like Looney Tunes, Sponge Bob, etc... there is something underneath the wacky storyline. Green Acres appealed to both children and adults, covered quite a demographic. Beverly Hillbillies too. CBS just got more serious w/the weaving in the humor later on.

Just caught the Green Acres episode where Mr. Douglas was blaming everybody and anybody for his failing crop including the gov't. How fitting! That's the one where they make the documentary and everybody in town thinks a Jimmy Stewart movie is being made. :lol:

Edited by ExiledInIllinois