Marrone's contract

wnysteel

Vic is on Sirius this afternoon (along with Dan Leberfeld), they started with a lot of Bills, Jets, Marrone talk...

Carucci said Marrone got the out clause because the group that was in charge (Whaley, Brandon, et. al.) knew Ralph was in poor health and wanted to swing for the fences and get their guy. Marrone has a savvy vet agent who realized the situation and was able to negotiate hard. He also said Cleveland was offering Marrone more money, so the Bills countered with the clause. Pretty much as reported here :D

He also said that Marrone and Whaley were not on the same page personnel-wise and went so far as to say Whaley was reckless with the drafting of EJ, the trade for Sammy, etc.

Leberfeld on the other hand said that while he thinks Marrone should be a candidate for the Jets job to basically stop the process to just hire him is crazy!

Heitz...did Vic give some context to saying the EJ pick was reckless?

I get saying that about the Sammy trade ...but not so much the EJ pick. Now it may be EJ not a franchise QB...but am curious why he thought it reckless

You guys don't get it. No one expected this clause to go into effect when they signed the deal. I do contracts all the time. This is called a throwaway provision. You put it in to give the other side something they think they want. Maroon was worried about an ownership change and a franchise move. So they threw this in. Other than Mularkey, Petrino, and Wannstedt back in 2004, who the #$%^ resigns from an NFL head coaching gig? Clearly the Bills never thought anyone would simply walk away just due to an ownership change. Maroon showed his true colors here. He's a POS. I don't blame the Bills one bit for this.

Except that, at the time, Ralph was 93 years old and in failing health, so it was entirely foreseeable that the clause would come into play. As to your point that "no one opts out" of an NFL coaching gig, I would suggest that is because few teams are stupid enough to give their coaches a powerful financial incentive to do so. I do agree with your opinion of Marrone, though.

I get saying that about the Sammy trade ...but not so much the EJ pick. Now it may be EJ not a franchise QB...but am curious why he thought it reckless

Just that it was a reach, certainly not a sure thing. If it works, they look great, if not they're most likely out of a job, so swing for the fences...

Pretty interesting day, lots of talk about coach's power grabs over GMs.

Just that it was a reach, certainly not a sure thing. If it works, they look great, if not they're most likely out of a job, so swing for the fences...

Pretty interesting day, lots of talk about coach's power grabs over GMs.

Gotcha...semantics I guess.

And it is interesting...just a continuation of the most interesting year in Bills history

I love Vic and all, but he was still covering the Browns until earlier this year. How does he have any real time realistic insight on EJ? All he has is conjecture to rely on...

I'd love to know who structured his contract that way (Whaley? Brandon?). In my mind, whoever did that deserves to go also. That is terrible.

My speculation is that this is all about $$$ for Marrone. Pure and simple.

This clause is actually good for both NEW ownership and Moron. Think about it. Do you think Pegula was looking forward to 2 more years of a team coached by Moron? My guess is that Pegula was hoping Moron would take the bait of the opt out clause. If Moron doesn't bite on the opt out clause, how do we know that Pegula wouldn't have fired Moron?

Carruci is another old timer whose best days are in a different era. If he had any real understanding of the EJ deal, he would have taken into account the very real fact that the Bills TRADED DOWN to get EJ and in the process gained an additional pick that was used to select...Kiko. If that's reckless, give me more of that craziness.

BTW, the trade that brought in Sammy was done to improve EJ's chances of success. It only appears a bit reckless (Carruci's term, not mine) because of the incompetence of Marrone/Hackett's handling of the QB situation. In fact, every aspect of the offense declined during their reign.

I feel like the Bills received three belated Christmas presents with Orton "retiring," Marrone filling his pockets and vanishing into the night, and old-and-tired Polian opting for the TV equivalent of Wal-Mart greeter. I am overjoyed.

I think that the Pegulas are glad to be rid of Marrone and his offensive incompetence. He comes across as an arrogant jerk. In my opinion, they made the right choice by not giving Marrone and his staff raises and extensions. He walked, which saved them the trouble of firing him. Firing him would have cost another $4 million, which they can now use toward other things....like scouting improvements.

I love Vic and all, but he was still covering the Browns until earlier this year. How does he have any real time realistic insight on EJ? All he has is conjecture to rely on...

True and he admitted as much, he definitely wasn't speaking as an "insider". I think just a combo of his perspective on the situation (watching from Cleveland) and what he's been hearing since back in Buffalo.

Good guy, glad he's back covering the Bills - especially because he's on Sirius all the time and always talks Bills :beer:

True and he admitted as much, he definitely wasn't speaking as an "insider". I think just a combo of his perspective on the situation (watching from Cleveland) and what he's been hearing since back in Buffalo.

Good guy, glad he's back covering the Bills - especially because he's on Sirius all the time and always talks Bills :beer:

Oh I totally agree...

It is hard to really figure out what's true and what isn't at this point in the franchise's history; let alone who was for or against EJ...