Neighborly "Buffalo" example

Mr Info

Like others on TBD, I have relocated years ago to another part of the country. I was at a beer fest in Ashland VA in Sep '14 when I saw someone there with a Bills cap on. I went up to him and struck up a conversation with him and his wife and they had relocated here a while back from Buffalo with some of his family (like mine) still living in Buffalo. We texted periodically about the Bills after that. About a month ago I received an invite to attend a traditional Polish Christmas dinner on New Year's Day at their place.

My wife had never met him or his wife and we arrived there with wine as he had texted me that he had obtained Redlinski sausages/kielbasa and other upstate foods and were preparing the rest. When we arrived, there was a table set for 30 people. They make it a point to invite friends that do not have extended family in the area and have been doing this for several years.

The dinner was amazing: his wife had made hundreds (literally) of various pierogies, ham, grilled Polish sausages/kielbasa, pork salt, applesauce, cucumber salad, and pumpernickel bread. For dessert there was sponge candy and kruschiki (which he made). They also had Krupnik for an opening toast and passed out oplatek/Christmas wafer to everyone.

They were a very welcoming and unassuming family and the same for the other friends they invited. It was an unforgettable experience and I believe it is a good representation of the 'neighborly' concern of WNY that is being spread to other parts of the country. I just wanted to share a good holiday experience with a Buffalo connection.

Not to hijack the thread, but another great neighborly "Buffalo" example---

Our dog happened to get out of our fenced-in area on New Years Day approx. 10:45a. It was an extremely cold and windy day and my pup is only 7 months old. We figure out she's gone at around 11:00am. My fiancee and I are going crazy, scouring the neighborhood for any signs of her. One of our neighbors tell us that a man and daughter in a white car came to their door asking if they lost a black puppy. Due to Facebook, signs, and help everywhere, a nice man brought our dog back about 2 and a half hours after she went missing. He found her, probably less than 5 mins before we realized she was gone, took her home to keep her warm and was basically waiting around for signs to be put up so he could figure out who's it was. It was a terrible experience, but the amount of people that were stopping, asking questions, and offering their help was amazing. Very thankful for all the help.

Also, power of Facebook is incredible. Over 100 photo shares within 2 hours, everywhere from Niagara Falls to West Seneca.

This is one of those thing you just don't understand unless you've lived in WNY, and a reason I'm so proud to have grown up there - you can't really say enough about the people and how welcoming they are. I'm sad I don't live there anymore - the world is a better place when you're around good people.