Tim Graham: Marrone spoke to and convinced Polian not to take job

Everything in Polian's statement is logical, unlike the garbage Graham spewed. Are we supposed to believe that a coach 20 years younger than Polian and light years behind in football knowledge would be able to talk Polian out of a job if he wanted it. And further, that he would take Marrone's opinion as the sole voice and not, I don;t know the former Bills he was the GM for who can't get away from OBD? Jesus the media is a joke. Polian was clear that Pegula has been professional and treated him with respect and that his intent was to come in and advise and guide the team for a few years, not rebuild it. He said his age and family considerations made his interest really only for three years max. I tend to believe the actual words of respected people more than the unnamed sources who have the luxury of passing the media lines of sheet to spread rumor and ill-will. Man is the media creeping close to ambulance chasing lawyers and prostitutes as the least respected professions.

Another source has now told Channel 2's Adam Benigni that Marrone's conversation was "key" in the turn down by Polian.

Yeah, the conversation went like this "Yeah Mr. Polian this is Coach Marrone." "Oh, you're leaving, thanks for the info, that changes things a great deal."

Benigni is an entrepreneur of character assassination by unnamed sources.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham 48m48 minutes ago

Doug Marrone and Bill Polian turned out to be an unintentional package deal http://bills.buffalo...-deal/ …

Reads like TG in damage control mode.

The bit about the OBD "lifers" doesn't ring true as we're now in the post-Ralph world, where they no longer have air cover. The Jim Overdorf's and Bud Carpenter's of the world will soon be gone, just like Littman.

"Polian would need to coordinate a coaching search in addition to find a new quarterback and maybe reorganize the scouting department." Where's Whaley... off getting coffee or polishing cleets?

Sorry, still not buying it.

Reads like TG in damage control mode.

The bit about the OBD "lifers" doesn't ring true as we're now in the post-Ralph world, where they no longer have air cover. The Jim Overdorf's and Bud Carpenter's of the world will soon be gone, just like Littman.

"Polian would need to coordinate a coaching search in addition to find a new quarterback and maybe reorganize the scouting department." Where's Whaley... off getting coffee or polishing cleets?

Sorry, still not buying it.

At the Rose Bowl?

I don't really care if this is true, but it doesn't add up. Marrone was worried about the uncertainty of polian coming in, yet they are best friends?

Also, as much as I don't really care for Marrone, it doesn't seem his style to go out of his way to bad mouth the team. I wonder if he just gave his assessment of what we needed and it sounded like too much work for polian.

At the Rose Bowl?

You know, that's an interesting point. It's the Sugar Bowl, BTW.

"...the Pegulas couldn't assure Marrone their organizational changes would be substantial enough for Marrone's liking."

The boss is in the Big Easy scouting and Marrone tries a palace coup. %*@!^#

Edited by Lurker

You know, that's an interesting point.

"...the Pegulas couldn't assure Marrone their organizational changes would be substantial enough for Marrone's liking."

The boss is on the left coast scouting and Marrone tries a palace coup. %*@!^#

When the cat's away...

It simply doesn't matter who said what to who or if there was any influence.

Marrone is gone (and don't let the door hit you on the way out).

Polian is not coming, and if he either:

a) listened to Marrone and decided not to come - for whatever reason -

or

b) decided not to come because Orton and/or Marrone was gone and he was only interested in light consulting, not heavy lifting

then he was not a good fit anyway. So who cares how it happened? The only thing I care about is who is coming in, and we won't know that for some time.

"Polian would need to coordinate a coaching search in addition to find a new quarterback and maybe reorganize the scouting department."

Does TP know who to get rid of and who to replace them with? He has zero experience and almost no connections in this league. A czar was going to help him reorganize the entire football side of the house and find qualified people.

It is just a hunch, but I do think they would love to move Brandon from football ops and Whaley is a very young GM. These easily could have been Pegula asking Polian to help with the coaching search as to not rely on Brandon again, and offer support and guidance to Whaley on drafting a QB and assisting with this search.

Again everything is all speculation, the only person who I would listen to is Carucci when it comes to Polian.

Could Marrone be a dick and bad mouth the organization - yeah like any disgruntled employee who wanted power and felt he was wronged - you bet I think he could do that...

I don't really care if this is true, but it doesn't add up. Marrone was worried about the uncertainty of polian coming in, yet they are best friends?

Also, as much as I don't really care for Marrone, it doesn't seem his style to go out of his way to bad mouth the team. I wonder if he just gave his assessment of what we needed and it sounded like too much work for polian.

It is so hard to sort through all the conjecture and crap out there. The relationship between Polian and Marrone I never really heard of until that article and the early reports focused on his leaving due to the uncertainty from the czar aka: Polian.

I still think Polian all along was waiting it out to get in the HOF; I think the Marrone events did way on him. Now was it Marrone who bad mouthed the org - I think he could do that all day long, but I think it could have been TP asking Polian to get more involved and find the crap, get rid of it, help get the right coach and help Whaley find a QB....

Local sports (Rochester) tonight said Polians decision came after Orton then Marrone both quit. He thought the consultant job would be "fun" originally, but with no HC or QB the job would require more "heavy lifting" than he was prepared to take on.

IOW, he wasn't the right man for the job anyway. Good.