IF we really are waiting for Polian....

Virgil

Does it hurt us in finding a head coach and other personnel? Other teams are going to grab their guys in the next few weeks, except those waiting on coordinators from playoff teams.

But for us, if we are waiting a full month, I think the talent pool will be pretty cherry picked. I'm all about Trestman as OC, but can't imagine him still being available in a month.

Plus, to think of all our staff and gm team as sitting ducks just seems a bit messed up.

I think Polian would just be a consultant and keep his easy media job in semi retirement.

Just give Terry and Kim a crash course on running a NFL team , give them advice on what not to do from his long experience.

Edited by ALF

I think that the fact that Polian isn't coming on board until the end of January/early February only makes it more likely that Whaley is staying. They can't wait 4 or 5 weeks to start their coaching search.

This is true. OTOH, if I'm a strong coaching candidate with my choice of positions, I prefer one where the organization is in place and everyone understands their role.

I think Polian would just be a consultant and keep his easy media job in semi retirement.

I think it would be a big conflict of interest to have a media guy in any kind of role with a team (for the media, and for the team)

If it's true that Whaley is staying, then Doug leaving is even more of a dick move. I could understand if he wasn't sure who the gm was going to be and therefore not know if he was going to have a job.

But if he's staying and it was all about wanting an extension or more power after only two seasons, then he really can go !@#$ himself

If it's true that Whaley is staying, then Doug leaving is even more of a dick move. I could understand if he wasn't sure who the gm was going to be and therefore not know if he was going to have a job.

But if he's staying and it was all about wanting an extension or more power after only two seasons, then he really can go !@#$ himself

Maybe he is a trend setter. Two games inder .500 career in the NFL and he wants an extension. This was a greedy 4 mil money grab by a douchebag. He obviously had no Bills " family" in his blood. Nice hire Russ!

i think even before he's officially hired, he'll weigh in on the hc (assuming the plan IS to actually hire polian). the next big decisions are at the draft and fa's. he'll be in full gear by then.

That's as may be. But look at it from the coach's viewpoint. You're a strong candidate with several possible offers, which job do you take? The job where the organization is stable and you can talk to everyone and verify you're hearing the same stuff about roles and responsibilities from each person so you know what you're getting into? Or the job where there's a dark horse with a rep for being an overbearing d*ck and a yet-to-be-defined role waiting in the wings?

I think it would be a big conflict of interest to have a media guy in any kind of role with a team (for the media, and for the team)

Eh...I know what you are saying, but I think that is silly. They do it all the time...doesn't happen in the NFL so much, but in other sports you see guys whose teams are eliminated from the playoffs come in as analysts for the remainder of the playoffs. Its' only sports...the reason for the delay is not the "conflict of interest", but rather, the fact that Polian wants to wait until the Hall of Fame vote takes place. Edited by Buftex