Does Schwartz stay if he's not the HC?

Penalties shmenalties. Seattle leads the league in penalties while Jacksonville has the fewest amount. Quite the contrast. Good teams get penalized just as much as bad teams, stupid or not. Means nothing.

Good post! Interesting point!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously hacketts gone so Schwartz is the question mark. Not sure he bolts if he's not HC however he may bolt simply because he doesn't like the new HC. One thing DM had going for him .... perhaps only thing .... is that he could get quality AC's to work for him.

All except Hackett who is not a quality anything

Why wouldn't Schwartz leave for a HC job elsewhere? Seems to me he would jump at the chance and the job he did this year with our defense certainly warrants him getting another shot at being a head coach.

i wasn't aware he was being considered for a HC elsewhere this year

Schwartz in Det ~ Bellicheat in Cleveland

Hmmmm......

#dynasty

And, Marv in KC, don't forget....he was on his second strike when he arrived in Buffalo....after three ingolorous years in KC.

If Schwartz is passed over for the HC job, he will ask for his release. He wants to be a HC again, and came here with the idea of being the internal candidate when and if Marrone left. My belief is that Marrone told Schwartz about his own contract with the "out" clause, and that is why Schwartz signed up here so quickly after Pettine left.

In terms of working with another new head coach.....two more years on his contract or not, I think he asks the new HC for his release, and is given that as a matter of courtesy. No new HC wants a malcontent on his staff. Finally, wanting to leave makes him still hunting for another HC gig....and he will try where he thinks the chances are the best. Also, I think he is still getting "topped off" by the Lions for the contract....he had as HC there...meaning he will get paid, even if he sits out a year.

Finally, Jerry Hughes isn't the only hot commodity around.....if Schwartz hits the open market, he will get snapped up immediately, it HAS been noticed what he did in Buffalo this year. Troubles with the Lions HC gig, OK, but man knows the x's and o's for sure.......and I think he will do fine in a new HC gig if selected. See the other post above about second chance HC's.......Bellicheat, Levy example

eh I don't know if he would be "hurt" - he will get an interview and it's up to him to show he's the right guy for it. It isn't experience that wins the day in the nfl, it's success. He doesn't have enough of that as a HC to be a slam dunk anywhere, not just here. IMO it's in his best interest to remain here as the DC and hope that there is a good offensive minded HC hired. That way his D will look even better and he could be up for an HC job next year, there will be more opportunities.

This is correct.

I'm warming up to Frank because what we know is that he has no ego. He would have no problem hiring a high profile OC. As far as Schwartz is concerned, he understands how the business works. He knows the Bills need serious offensive help. If Schwartz doesn't get a HC job there is no reason to leave.

Schwartz is not going to be a consideration unless he can somehow come up with a viable solution to get the offense on track. He would need to convince the front office that he has found a great offensive coordinator to turn things around.

That is a tall order folks. He has no business being pissed if he cannot do this.

Another thing that no one seems to notice...Schwartz is still under contract and you will not see people lining up to hire him until his contract is up or the Bills let him go. And I don't see the Bills letting him go.

Edited by Rockinon

I haven't even heard his name brought up once and I pay pretty close attention to the coaching searches. I'm sure he could end up as someone's fallback option like Pettine did but in that scenario it would probably be the least attractive job if no one else wanted it. He would be better off waiting for next year in that case considering the squad he has here. He could be a hot commodity next year if they continued on this path.

I haven't even heard his name brought up once and I pay pretty close attention to the coaching searches. I'm sure he could end up as someone's fallback option like Pettine did but in that scenario it would probably be the least attractive job if no one else wanted it. He would be better off waiting for next year in that case considering the squad he has here. He could be a hot commodity next year if they continued on this path.

I think there is some sort of known issue with him. A reason why no one is mentioning him, even though it could be argued that he hasn't earned another chance after just one season. His lack of discipline in Detroit? His shoot from the hip personality? Something about him seems to be holding him back is just my feeling.

I don't think Schwartz would mind staying another year as DC. Right now I don't see Schwartz getting another offer to be a HC anywhere else. But staying here for another year as the DC when you have a super talented group might open up future HC opportunities. In the end I think Schwartz stays for at least another season.

I really hope Schwartz stays. The defensive players love him. He's a high energy guy. If we keep Schwartz's D in tact and get a quality top tier offensive head coach we will be in an awesome situation

And, Marv in KC, don't forget....he was on his second strike when he arrived in Buffalo....after three ingolorous years in KC.

If Schwartz is passed over for the HC job, he will ask for his release. He wants to be a HC again, and came here with the idea of being the internal candidate when and if Marrone left. My belief is that Marrone told Schwartz about his own contract with the "out" clause, and that is why Schwartz signed up here so quickly after Pettine left.

In terms of working with another new head coach.....two more years on his contract or not, I think he asks the new HC for his release, and is given that as a matter of courtesy. No new HC wants a malcontent on his staff. Finally, wanting to leave makes him still hunting for another HC gig....and he will try where he thinks the chances are the best. Also, I think he is still getting "topped off" by the Lions for the contract....he had as HC there...meaning he will get paid, even if he sits out a year.

Well, the surest path to another HC gig is right in front of him: to continue what he started with a really talented outfit.

Let's assume the obvious: he is not getting a HC gig this year. how is he going to get a HC job by becoming a DC somewhere else? You've got to look at the risk management. On another team he'll have a whole new start to contend with, new players, and it could not work.

Also, he's under contract. If he asks for release from it, no $. If the new HC wants him - or gives him his walking papers - he'll keep the $.

isn't he actually not free to leave unless the Bills grant him that wish?

He's also under contract for two more years and the Pegulas are not going to let him go. They are going to Daddy Warbucks him.

By "reject", do you mean a HC fired by another team?

Why would Schwartz be bothered by that?

Because he is one too and would think he deserves the job.

Schwartz is not going to be a consideration unless he can somehow come up with a viable solution to get the offense on track. He would need to convince the front office that he has found a great offensive coordinator to turn things around.

That is a tall order folks. He has no business being pissed if he cannot do this.

Another thing that no one seems to notice...Schwartz is still under contract and you will not see people lining up to hire him until his contract is up or the Bills let him go. And I don't see the Bills letting him go.

The one that he picked in Detroit was in the top five in yards his last three seasons, and was the guy who excelled in Dallas this year. So he can say he knows how to pick them.

For Schwartz to get another shot at being a HC (assuming that's his ambition), he needs redeem his reputation with success as a coordinator. What better place to do that than Buffalo? The players seem to like him. He knows how to use them. The Bills D has loads of talent.

And Schwartz already had one good year here. Why not rack up 1 or 2 more good seasons as DC in Buffalo rather than rolling the dice somewhere else?

Anyway, as has been noted, he's under contract.

He's also under contract for two more years and the Pegulas are not going to let him go. They are going to Daddy Warbucks him.

Because he is one too and would think he deserves the job.

The one that he picked in Detroit was in the top five in yards his last three seasons, and was the guy who excelled in Dallas this year. So he can say he knows how to pick them.

This is why I think they are going on the interviews, so when they think they have their man, they are going to "show him the money!"

For Schwartz to get another shot at being a HC (assuming that's his ambition), he needs redeem his reputation with success as a coordinator. What better place to do that than Buffalo? The players seem to like him. He knows how to use them. The Bills D has loads of talent.

And Schwartz already had one good year here. Why not rack up 1 or 2 more good seasons as DC in Buffalo rather than rolling the dice somewhere else?

Anyway, as has been noted, he's under contract.

Because that was his reputation that got him the first HC job, he doesn't need to prove it for more than 1 year. What he needs to prove is that he's toned down his emotions, which a poster above has stated.

This is why I think they are going on the interviews, so when they think they have their man, they are going to "show him the money!"

Well, they would either way. But it's going to be a huge smile on the interviewees face when the Pegulas tell him if you need a OC or DC we will make it worth his while. If you need this or that we will get it for you. If you think the facilities need this or that, it's yours. Coming from them is going to have a major affect I imagine, especially because they can say we already did it with the Sabres.

Well, they would either way. But it's going to be a huge smile on the interviewees face when the Pegulas tell him if you need a OC or DC we will make it worth his while. If you need this or that we will get it for you. If you think the facilities need this or that, it's yours. Coming from them is going to have a major affect I imagine, especially because they can say we already did it with the Sabres.

Yes, no more years of no chance at a HC because they wouldn't spend the money.

I assume he wants to be a head coach again in the NFL, so he will want to do whatever will position him best for that opportunity. If the thinks being the DC in Buffalo will do that, he will stay. If he thinks being the DC of a team that gets more media attention (such as the Jets) will improve his chances of becoming a head coach in the future, he will want to leave. I also think that if a team offers him the title of assistant head coach he may be able to leave the Bills since it is a promotion. Of course, the Bills could match that.

It isn't experience that wins the day in the nfl, it's success. He doesn't have enough of that as a HC to be a slam dunk anywhere, not just here.

He sure has more experience and success as a NFL HC than any of the young NFL coordinators, whose names are being tossed around as potential HC candidates.

If Pegula is crazy enough to risk disturbing the bedrock of the Bills new found success by upsetting the team's existing eco-system, there should be some concerned folks in Pennsylvania.. just sayin..

eh I don't know if he would be "hurt" - he will get an interview and it's up to him to show he's the right guy for it. It isn't experience that wins the day in the nfl, it's success. He doesn't have enough of that as a HC to be a slam dunk anywhere, not just here. IMO it's in his best interest to remain here as the DC and hope that there is a good offensive minded HC hired. That way his D will look even better and he could be up for an HC job next year, there will be more opportunities.

"Best intrest" is a good point, but if every bill coach had the best intrest in mind, they wouldve made the playoffs. Honestly, i think that some coaches are irrational...I hope youre right and Shwartz is smart about this.

He sure has more experience and success as a NFL HC than any of the young NFL coordinators, whose names are being tossed around as potential HC candidates.

If Pegula is crazy enough to risk disturbing the bedrock of the Bills new found success by upsetting the team's existing eco-system, there should be some concerned folks in Pennsylvania.. just sayin..

i think some owners could look at that differently. The young coordinators haven't had a chance to demonstrate whether they can be successful as a HC. Schwartz got that chance for 5 years and failed. He did get the team to the playoffs once, but I don't think it bodes well for him that he was fired last year and now the same team is in the playoffs now that he's gone.

Don't get me wrong I would be fine if they promoted him here. I just don't think any teams are beating down his door this year for those reasons.