Polian in, Nix out

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously, Pegula had no plans to bring Marrone back, obviously. Marrone wasn't that good anyway. Good riddance!

Hiring B. Polian would be a huge coup. He is still the best GM the Bills ever had. He will bring a high quality HC with name assistants. Bottom line: Polian would make us legit again.

It's well known that Pegula is friends with Bill Cowher. Cowher has connections and could bring a proven group of asst. coaches with him.

The key will be whether the Bills can lure a high quality QB to Buffalo.

Scenarios:

HC Cowher/OC N. Turner/DC Schwartz.

HC Reich/OC N. Turner/DC Schwartz.

The Bills could lure Turner by making him Asst. HC.

Can't quote for whatever reason but Bill Polian brings his son along almost anywhere he goes. Promoting Chris to gm was his downfall in indy. He lucked into his qbs. Although he is very thorough when drafting them. I absolutely hate bill's drafting and despise chris' drafting

those Indy teams were awful sans Manning.

Obviously, Pegula had no plans to bring Marrone back, obviously. Marrone wasn't that good anyway. Good riddance!

Hiring B. Polian would be a huge coup. He is still the best GM the Bills ever had. He will bring a high quality HC with name assistants. Bottom line: Polian would make us legit again.

It's well known that Pegula is friends with Bill Cowher. Cowher has connections and could bring a proven group of asst. coaches with him.

Scenarios:

I like these ideas. Really, these are the only scenarios I want Polian involved: to be a sort of adviser/lure proven coaches. I could also see Gailey coming in as OC to work with Cower again. If Schwartz leaves, I see Pepper Johnson as the next DC.

Edited by RyanC883

Reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where they fire Kramer and he said, "well, I don't even work here!"

Classic! :lol:

Welcome to buffalo,mr Seifert.

Wow, I haven't head George's name mentioned in--well it's been so long I can't remember. Maybe he's still waiting at the airport.

Scenarios:

You DO know Marrone quit, he wasn't fired. You Do know that, right? I mean obviously.

But I'm all in with The Chin, should that happen.

Edited by The Dean

Classic! :lol:

Wow, I haven't head George's name mentioned in--well it's been so long I can't remember. Maybe he's still waiting at the airport.

You DO know Marrone quit, he wasn't fired. You Do know that, right? I mean obviously.

But I'm all in with The Chin, should that happen.

If he is making demands from what he perceives as a position of power, and he doesn't get them, twice, it's the same thing as being fired.

If he is making demands from what he perceives as a position of power, and he doesn't get them, twice, it's the same thing as being fired.

So, if I go to my boss on Friday to tell him I should get a raise and quit if he says "no", I really got fired?

In a negotiation, you can always acquiesce. A power play quit is a bit different than a straight out dismissal.

So, if I go to my boss on Friday to tell him I should get a raise and quit if he says "no", I really got fired?

If it was a power play, then yep. Because you would have had your job if you didn't try to get more than you were worth.

You overstepped your bounds and made demands so you were, in effect, fired.

If you went in there and asked for a raise and they said no, and you said okay and went back to your job you would not be fired. If you were worth what you asked for, you would get a promotion. If you did nothing, it would be status quo. But if you make demands above your worth and you don't get them, and then throw a fit, you are in effect, fired. They don't want you the way you view yourself. The idea you quit is not really true.

In a negotiation, you can always acquiesce. A power play quit is a bit different than a straight out dismissal.

Yes and no, as I explained below. I totally agree you can acquiesce. And then you are not fired. But if you are making outrageous demands and they say no and call your bluff, to me, it is more you are fired than you quit. Quitting seems to me to be all of your own decision. In this case, it wasn't your own decision, you were rebuffed and told no.

If it was a power play, then yep. Because you would have had your job if you didn't try to get more than you were worth.

You overstepped your bounds and made demands so you were, in effect, fired.

If you went in there and asked for a raise and they said no, and you said okay and went back to your job you would not be fired. If you were worth what you asked for, you would get a promotion. If you did nothing, it would be status quo. But if you make demands above your worth and you don't get them, and then throw a fit, you are in effect, fired. They don't want you the way you view yourself. The idea you quit is not really true.

See I think one typically gets "fired" for cause (I know that isn't always true). A failed negotiation is what it is. But I still doubt this was mostly about not getting an extension for himself. I have to think this was about not getting a commitment to the offensive coaching staff. Of course I am guessing. At this point, it's all a guess.

See I think one typically gets "fired" for cause (I know that isn't always true). A failed negotiation is what it is. But I still doubt this was mostly about not getting an extension for himself. I have to think this was about not getting a commitment to the offensive coaching staff. Of course I am guessing. At this point, it's all a guess.

Totally agree. It's neither a clean quit, nor is it a clean fire. That's why we are splitting hairs and questioning which is it closer to. To me, Marrone thought of himself and his job as something bigger than it was. He want in there making demands, thinking he was in a position of power. He didn't want to leave, he thought he was better than the guys above him. So he used his out clause to make demands. He said I want an extension. They said no. He said then I want my guys here to have extensions. They said we don't like your guys. I know for a fact that he wanted control over the roster which Whaley has. I'm pretty sure that was part of the conversation. He said if you don't give me what i want, I will leave. They said see ya.

If you look at all of that, and have to say did he quit or was he fired, to me, he was fired. That's a more accurate description. Quitting when you are 9-7 would be his choice. If he just left because he could, I would say he quit. It was all his choice. The way it happened, they told him no, you don't get any benefit of the doubt. So he left.

To me, that is more of a firing than a quitting.

Doug Farrar in si.com article, http://www.si.com/nf...ts-out-contract, implies Polian deal already done ...

"With the announcement that former Bills, Panthers and Coltspersonnel czar Bill Polian will be taking over the team in all relevant ways, it's entirely possible that Marrone, who had a three-day escape clause in his deal related to the sale of the team to current owner Terry Pegula, saw a situation in which he would be the odd man out. Polian has strong opinions about what he wants and how he wants it (to say the least), and it's hard to imagine that he'd return to a front office from his current ESPN position without the promise of absolute control."