Hughes now at 10 sacks

YoloinOhio

I think all of the answers about him being the beneficiary of the other three guys are going to be instantly erased when teams watch the tape on him. He was phenomenal this year, against the run and pass. He was at the top of the league in tackles for a DL and DE. He forced fumbles. He had a lot of stuffs. He constantly got pressure. He is the only black guy in the league with a high motor. He's very, very good all around. That idea that he benefits is a theory, and often true, but he played fantastic regardless.

:lol: . He doesn't strike me as the type who carries one of these though: https://www.oldtownit.com/Portals/1/images/blogs/Blog%20photos/Bring%20Your%20Lunch%20Pail%20sized.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is what he should get, you're right. But there is a shortage of very good pass rushers, and he's done it two years in a row, and he's young, and the cap is going up 10m or so. That is why I think he gets more.

Could go a bit higher, but I don't think it'll be anything over 13M a season. That's Clay Matthews type money. Even though Matthews is a LB I think Hughes compares to him. Justin Houstons contract may set the market though.

Crazyier things have happened though.

I think all of the answers about him being the beneficiary of the other three guys are going to be instantly erased when teams watch the tape on him. He was phenomenal this year, against the run and pass. He was at the top of the league in tackles for a DL and DE. He forced fumbles. He had a lot of stuffs. He constantly got pressure. He is the only black guy in the league with a high motor. He's very, very good all around. That idea that he benefits is a theory, and often true, but he played fantastic regardless.

He also played a lot of snaps and was on the field a lot with Bryant and Charles.

It's fun to see that the worst guy on our D Line (the only one not invited to the Pro Bowl) recorded a double-digit sack total.

Please tell me that this is some type of typo!

i think we can afford him.

Just pay him 40 million next year. He'll stay. Give mario another 42 million. I'm sticking with giving Aaron Rodgers 500 million for one year and 498 million his 2nd year. Year 3 hopefully he restructures his contract. But if not, just give him 600 million per year for the next 6 years. Why not?

Hey everyone says Pegula has deep pockets. My turn.

Pettine knows how good he is. I honestly think the Bills will have to franchise him.

It's probably a good idea to franchise him. This defense is elite. We NEED to be a playoff team next year and take the next step. We can see in one year what kind of team we have and if we are close to really making a run at it. The tag may be the smart way to go. I really think some team is going to make him a ridiculous offer. We can afford ridiculous offers now, but it could put our structure out of whack if it gets to 12-13m a year.

Wow.

This is kind of saying "you people"

Please tell me that this is some type of typo!

Of course not. It is a slight exaggeration however, but only recently. By law, it used to be that all other players designated with the "high motor" label were to be white. By in the last few years, the label has been applied to some black guys as well. It started a few years ago, when uber liberal George Clooney pointed this out to media members all over the country. And then before any other writer or pundit could use the term "high motor" describing a defensive lineman he had to first also consider where there was a black guy similar to the player that writer was about to describe. And sure enough, pretty soon, some black guys started to be labeled as such, too. Which is why it is now known as The Clooney Rule.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Of course not. It is a slight exaggeration however, but only recently. By law, it used to be that all other players designated with the "high motor" label were to be white. By in the last few years, the label has been applied to some black guys as well. It started a few years ago, when uber liberal George Clooney pointed this out to media members all over the country. And then before any other writer or pundit could use the term "high motor" describing a defensive lineman he had to first also consider where there was a black guy similar to the player that writer was about to describe. And sure enough, pretty soon, some black guys started to be labeled as such, too. Which is why it is now known as The Clooney Rule.

It was more specific than that. White guys who played DE, LB, safety, or WR were high motor. If they played o-line, interior d-line, or TE, they brought their lunch pails to work. Every day. Along with their hard hats.

White QBs and kickers were neither high motor nor lunch pailers, however.

Edited by dave mcbride

Can we trade a player that has the franchise tag on him?

yes, but it is difficult for a few reasons. First, it is a player that the team will ultimately need to sign to an extension or are basically giving up what here amounts to a pretty high pick for a rental player. They would need to know that Hughes was going to be interested in signing with them long term or it wouldn't make sense. For example with Cleveland they could trade us back the #19 pick for a tagged Hughes at whatever amount (9 mill or whatever the tag is) and risk him leaving in FA the next year or they could take a 1st round talent pass rusher at 19 and have him locked in for 5 years on a rookie deal.

It was more specific than that. White guys who played DE, LB, safety, or WR were high motor. If they played o-line, interior d-line, or TE, they brought their lunch pails to work. Every day. Along with their hard hats.

:lol: That's really true. Damn liberals. Can never be happy with stereotypes, when everyone knows stereotypes don't just appear out of nowhere.

i kinda get it. but can you explain what you mean by a lunch pailer

i kinda get it. but can you explain what you mean by a lunch pailer

You know - those old style lunch boxes ("lunch pails") that hard-hatted construction workers would eat from while sitting on steel beams at lunchtime. It was a staple of ads, tv shows, cartoons, etc. Christ, even Sesame Street used the image: