Senior Bowl QBs

Sounds like the earliest you should take a QB in this draft is about the 5th round (after Mariota and Winston).

That sounds about right to me as well. Although we all know that teams are so desperate for QB's that a couple of them will jump into the earlier rounds. I see a lot of Bryce Petty love around here. I think Petty = system QB. I recall the Cotton Bowl announcers mentioning he isn't required to make the sort of reads and decisions that NFL QB's are. He reminds me of all the Texas Tech Quarterbacks that put up huge numbers under Mike Leach. I'd rather have a guy who played in a pro system, and not an Xbox style offense that puts up 70 points a game. We all know that doesn't happen in the pros. How will Petty react to struggling in the pros when it doesn't come so easy ? That being said my favorite QB is Mannion.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sounds about right to me as well. Although we all know that teams are so desperate for QB's that a couple of them will jump into the earlier rounds. I see a lot of Bryce Petty love around here. I think Petty = system QB. I recall the Cotton Bowl announcers mentioning he isn't required to make the sort of reads and decisions that NFL QB's are. He reminds me of all the Texas Tech Quarterbacks that put up huge numbers under Mike Leach. I'd rather have a guy who played in a pro system, and not an Xbox style offense that puts up 70 points a game. We all know that doesn't happen in the pros. How will Petty react to struggling in the pros when it doesn't come so easy ? That being said my favorite QB is Mannion.

I dig the screen name!

????? There is no way you watched manziel. None.

There were other rookie QBs who saw considerable playing time beside JF. The argument is over the entire draft class, not picking & choosing one player that fits an argument.

There were other rookie QBs who saw considerable playing time beside JF. The argument is over the entire draft class, not picking & choosing one player that fits an argument.

manziel's name was among 3 mentioned in a post that said "There is zero evidence EJ or Geno are worse QBs than Bortles, Manziel, or Carr at this point."

You responded "you must be watching the games through different video frequencies"

Manziel was in there - did you watch him? Is there evidence EJ is worse?

manziel's name was among 3 mentioned in a post that said "There is zero evidence EJ or Geno are worse QBs than Bortles, Manziel, or Carr at this point."

You responded "you must be watching the games through different video frequencies"

Manziel was in there - did you watch him? Is there evidence EJ is worse?

Again, that response was using selective choices, conveniently leaving out Bridgewater.

The argument started by a comment that the 2013 QB class won't look that bad. So let's compare the CLASSES, not individual players.

Would you rather pick from this:

E.J. Manuel

Geno Smith

Mike Glennon

Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib

Tyler Wilson

Landry Jones

Brad Sorensen

Zac Dysert

B.J. Daniels

Sean Renfree

Or this:

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

Derek Carr

Jimmy Garoppolo

Logan Thomas

Tom Savage

Aaron Murray

AJ McCarron

Zach Mettenberger

David Fales

Keith Wenning

Tajh Boyd

Garrett Gilbert

So what? Jamarcus Russell was a starter for a while...does that make him good?

Much more relevant point: how did they play?

you can't completely evaluate a QB after only 1 season. the fact that a lot of those guys are now the starters of their teams is a good start though. you can evaluate a QB much better after 2 seasons. from 2013 the only starters are EJ and Geno and both of those guys are already being labeled busts. we will look back in a few years and see that Carr and Bridgewater are still starting and EJ and Geno are backups or out of the league entirely. 2013 will go down as the worst QB class in recent history and it's unfortunate that this was the year we finally decided to draft a QB

Again, that response was using selective choices, conveniently leaving out Bridgewater.

The argument started by a comment that the 2013 QB class won't look that bad. So let's compare the CLASSES, not individual players.

Would you rather pick from this:

E.J. Manuel

Geno Smith

Mike Glennon

Matt Barkley

Ryan Nassib

Tyler Wilson

Landry Jones

Brad Sorensen

Zac Dysert

B.J. Daniels

Sean Renfree

Or this:

Blake Bortles

Johnny Manziel

Teddy Bridgewater

Derek Carr

Jimmy Garoppolo

Logan Thomas

Tom Savage

Aaron Murray

AJ McCarron

Zach Mettenberger

David Fales

Keith Wenning

Tajh Boyd

Garrett Gilbert

didn't see the original conversation but I'd say they look about equal at this point in terms of potential franchise QBs. Too early to tell.

My son goes to ECU and says Carden is awful. The fans there rode him hard for his play.

The definition of a system QB. Racked up ungodly numbers but will likely be eaten alive in the pros. Think Wuerffel.

you can't completely evaluate a QB after only 1 season. the fact that a lot of those guys are now the starters of their teams is a good start though. you can evaluate a QB much better after 2 seasons. from 2013 the only starters are EJ and Geno and both of those guys are already being labeled busts. we will look back in a few years and see that Carr and Bridgewater are still starting and EJ and Geno are backups or out of the league entirely. 2013 will go down as the worst QB class in recent history and it's unfortunate that this was the year we finally decided to draft a QB

Just so I understand here: you cannot completely evaluate a QB after only 1 season, but EJ is doomed after 14 starts?

That...doesn't...make...sense...

My son goes to ECU and says Carden is awful. The fans there rode him hard for his play.

Your son is right; Carden is, IMO, almost undraftable.

Just so I understand here: you cannot completely evaluate a QB after only 1 season, but EJ is doomed after 14 starts?

That...doesn't...make...sense...

Your son is right; Carden is, IMO, almost undraftable.

I'm not evaluating EJ, I'm speculating based on what I've seen and based on the situation in Buffalo. He's a career backup at best in my opinion but of course the jury is still out on him. But do you think Rex is going to come in here and hang his hat on EJ Manuel going forward? He's going to want to bring in his own guy. EJ is on a short leash. And Geno is done for similar reasons. Bowles isn't going to come in to NY and try and win with Geno. He will want his own guy. These 2 won't be on a football field next season and meanwhile all of those other players from the 2014 and 2015 drafts will. And let's not even get into the 2012 draft and how great that was. It is what it is. We drafted a QB in he 1st round in the worst QB draft class. That's our luck

I'm not evaluating EJ, I'm speculating based on what I've seen and based on the situation in Buffalo. He's a career backup at best in my opinion but of course the jury is still out on him. But do you think Rex is going to come in here and hang his hat on EJ Manuel going forward? He's going to want to bring in his own guy. EJ is on a short leash. And Geno is done for similar reasons. Bowles isn't going to come in to NY and try and win with Geno. He will want his own guy. These 2 won't be on a football field next season and meanwhile all of those other players from the 2014 and 2015 drafts will. And let's not even get into the 2012 draft and how great that was. It is what it is. We drafted a QB in he 1st round in the worst QB draft class. That's our luck

Of course Rex wants his own guy--he doesn't know if he's got a franchise QB. That doesn't, however, doom EJ to backup status forever. In fact, it doesn't even mean he won't start next year.

Also, in comparison, that 2007 QB class was easily the worst in history. 2013, for me, is certainly no worse at this point than 2014. 2012 was easily the anomaly as you said.

Yikes

@nfldraftscout: Nope. RT @ZachHicks2: have any of the Quarterbacks impressed you so far this week?

Sadly enough, EJ is probably going to be our best option going into next season.

I really hope Lee and Roman can get his footwork fixed and into a system that takes advantage of his skillset

Did you watch Taylor Kelly in the E-W Shrine game? I wouldn't give up a nickle for him.

:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Grayson in round 5 would be reasonable.

Yeah I know Kelly looked pretty bad in the East-West Shrine game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000462326/article/buzzworthy-buzzkill-players-from-day-3-at-the-senior-bowl?campaign=Twitter_nfl_cfb

Garrett Grayson, QB, Colorado State

Grayson was up and down at this week's practices, which is generally the case for quarterbacks, but he had scouts buzzing in the stands with some of his throws Thursday afternoon. Grayson threw a couple of poor interceptions -- to TCU's Kevin White and Norfolk State's Lynden Trail -- but made up for it with impressive touch on deep throws and with fade routes in the end zone. Grayson is a polarizing prospect in scouting circles but had a solid day.