Not surprising to me that Marrone would be angry with Whaley

Rubes

Browns?

Yeah, but they didn't use their 1st overall pick on him... Johnny Feetball

One more thing. The OP didn't mention Marrone starting out with not 1 QB on the roster who had ever thrown a pass in the NFL.

Edited by San-O

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing. The OP didn't mention Marrone starting out with not 1 QB on the roster who had ever thrown a pass in the NFL.

And the Bills traded down and got Kiko Alonso out of the deal. So what?

If you guys dont think Marrone had plenty of input into the QB selection, I dont know what to tell you. The Dougs work side-by-side everyday. Marrone got his choice at QB. He isnt angry at anyone. But whatever you guys want to gossip about at the sewing circle, go ahead.

Well now hang on...Whaley didn't use his first pick on EJ either; he traded down and netted an extra 2nd rounder that turned into Alonso. By contrast, Cleveland had to trade back up from the No. 26 spot to get Manziel.

Also, Marrone did start with Kolb on the roster. I realize that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, but he had thrown his share of NFL passes.

Well now hang on...Whaley didn't use his first pick on EJ either; he traded down and netted an extra 2nd rounder that turned into Alonso. By contrast, Cleveland had to trade back up from the No. 26 spot to get Manziel.

Also, Marrone did start with Kolb on the roster. I realize that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement, but he had thrown his share of NFL passes.

Well, he did use the 1st selection on EJ. Nice move waiting and trading back however.

Marrone started camp with Kolb, before tripping over his own feet, however started the season with no QB having attempted an NFL pass. Pretty amazing I think. Have you EVER seen that before??

Well, he did use the 1st selection on EJ. Nice move waiting and trading back however.

Marrone started camp with Kolb, before tripping over his own feet, however started the season with no QB having attempted an NFL pass. Pretty amazing I think. Have you EVER seen that before??

No, I haven't, and I totally agree that it hurt the team. The biggest mistake in there, IMO, was rushing to cut Tarvaris Jackson. At least with him on the roster you had some experience in the fold after Kolb went down.

To be accurate, Thad Lewis was acquired in August and was on the practice squad to start the season. He did have an NFL start on his resume, even if it was only one. I get that argument is grasping at straws.

But its not like they havent brought in other QBs, they even brought Vince Young back for a little bit. There just isnt much QB talent out there.

Here are our vet options for next year: http://forums.twobil...from-this-list/

Let me know who on that list we should bring in so Whaley doesnt "screw up the QB situation"...

Edited by DrDareustein

Kolb was brought in to start. And EJ to sit. There weren't any better options really as far as veterans go although I never liked Kolb at all. It's not like there was a lot of choice.

I apologize but I just gotta' stop you on that point. The myth you are saying just can't be perpetuated. It's too often used as an excuse for Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley and it's just not valid.

There were probably dozens of other veteran QB's better qualified than Kolb. He was permanently disabled. The medical staff of the Bills should be liable for letting this guy pass a physical with a severed brain stem. That's not hindsight....the Bills themselves saw how fragile he was when they ended his actual playing career just months earlier. He never played another down in the NFL after Alex Carrington broke several bones and concussed him on a routine tackle that day in AZ.

Tarvaris Jackson for one was already on THE BILLS OWN ROSTER and had proven himself more capable of playing QB and doing it at a productive level in the NFL than Kolb. By A LOT.

What's more......if the decision to cut Fitz was made because he wasn't going to be given the chance to compete for the starting QB job....then why is it assumed that a much lesser player in Kolb was brought in to start? The whole cutting of Fitz supports the notion that Kolb was a tomato can brought in to simply be kicked over by a rookie QB.

On what planet was the atrocious Kolb better than the mediocre Fitz? It simply makes ZERO sense to say Kolb was brought in to start.....yet it may be true.

Which just points out how HORRENDOUS of a decision it was to cut Fitz/TJax and then go with KOLB. Utterly crazy-stupid. And pertinent to the discussion today as the Bills sit in much the same spot at QB now as they were then.

I could see if this was a Jim Plunkett-type rehabilitation project. But no. Kolb was a modest QB prospect in college who moved up a bit late in the draft process and he never even had a season in his entire NFL career where he threw for 10 TD's. It's not like the guy was a first round bust or something. That decision still ranks as one of the dumbest in Bills history. Breathtakingly stupid.

No, I haven't, and I totally agree that it hurt the team. The biggest mistake in there, IMO, was rushing to cut Tarvaris Jackson. At least with him on the roster you had some experience in the fold after Kolb went down.

Good point. Makes you wonder WHAT in h*ll they were seeing in Tuel and Lewis????? Unbelievable....

I apologize but I just gotta' stop you on that point. The myth you are saying just can't be perpetuated. It's too often used as an excuse for Buddy Nix and Doug Whaley and it's just not valid.

There were probably dozens of other veteran QB's better qualified than Kolb. He was permanently disabled. The medical staff of the Bills should be liable for letting this guy pass a physical with a severed brain stem. That's not hindsight....the Bills themselves saw how fragile he was when they ended his actual playing career just months earlier. He never played another down in the NFL after Alex Carrington broke several bones and concussed him on a routine tackle that day in AZ.

Tarvaris Jackson for one was already on THE BILLS OWN ROSTER and had proven himself more capable of playing QB and doing it at a productive level in the NFL than Kolb. By A LOT.

What's more......if the decision to cut Fitz was made because he wasn't going to be given the chance to compete for the starting QB job....then why is it assumed that a much lesser player in Kolb was brought in to start? The whole cutting of Fitz supports the notion that Kolb was a tomato can brought in to simply be kicked over by a rookie QB.

On what planet was the atrocious Kolb better than the mediocre Fitz? It simply makes ZERO sense to say Kolb was brought in to start.....yet it may be true.

Which just points out how HORRENDOUS of a decision it was to cut Fitz/TJax and then go with KOLB. Utterly crazy-stupid. And pertinent to the discussion today as the Bills sit in much the same spot at QB now as they were then.

I could see if this was a Jim Plunkett-type rehabilitation project. But no. Kolb was a modest QB prospect in college who moved up a bit late in the draft process and he never even had a season in his entire NFL career where he threw for 10 TD's. It's not like the guy was a first round bust or something. That decision still ranks as one of the dumbest in Bills history. Breathtakingly stupid.

"Probably dozens" yet all you can name are the two that were already on our roster. Any others? Or we just making up fantasy players?

Additionally, keeping Fitz on the team when he already had support from so many players while bringing in a rookie, is a sure fire way to divide the locker room and start a QB controversy.

I agree Fitz would have been the better option, but he had to go.

Edited by DrDareustein

To be accurate, Thad Lewis was acquired in August and was on the practice squad to start the season. He did have an NFL start on his resume, even if it was only one. I get that argument is grasping at straws.

But its not like they havent brought in other QBs, they even brought Vince Young back for a little bit. There just isnt much QB talent out there.

Here are our vet options for next year: http://forums.twobil...from-this-list/

Let me know who on that list we should bring in so Whaley doesnt "screw up the QB situation"...

1. Fair enough.

2. I don't know who they get. It's not me that waited six years before drafting a QB, the Bills brain trust with Buddy and Whaley did...

1. Fair enough.

2. I don't know who they get. It's not me that waited six years before drafting a QB, the Bills brain trust with Buddy and Whaley did...

Who should we have drafted that we passed on? I'll give you the first one: Russell Wilson. Other than that, who should we have taken that we passed on?

I hated Kolb and thought he sucked. But there were not dozens of better options. The Bills trainers worked him out and gave him a physical. Say they were negligent. I agree he was an injury waiting to happen. In retrospect it surely was a mistake to cut Jackson but I blame that completely on Marrone. He liked Tuel. They wanted Tuel for the development guy after watching him for a month in the practices, and didn't want to split the reps between Kolb, Manuel and Jackson in training camp.

Also the Fitz thing was way different. They were not going to pay him his salary that he was due. They demanded that he cut it because he was going to not be given the starter role, they were going to draft a rookie. It's because they didnt want to pay him that all of that was said and transpired. That's bullschit to equate them.

When they signed him it was to start.

http://pro32.ap.org/poststarnews/article/qb-kolb-signs-bills-eager-shot-start

Edited by Kelly the Dog

And Im not trying to make excuses for the Dougs. Simply looking at the reality of the situation. We've needed a QB forever. I've known it, you've known it, we've all known it, even the Bills knew it. But I dont remember having the opportunity to acquire a great QB and them passing.

Only in hindsight can we say Russell Wilson, thats about it.

Has a rookie head coach knowing his new team was picking a QB very high in the draft ever picked an offensive coordinator with no NFL experience at that position? That was a real dumb decision by Marrone. The Bills were also stupid in hiring him in the first place if that was his plan knowing that the team was targeting Manuel.

I hated Kolb and thought he sucked. But there were not dozens of better options. The Bills trainers worked him out and gave him a physical. Say they were negligent. I agree he was an injury waiting to happen. In retrospect it surely was a mistake to cut Jackson but I blame that completely on Marrone. He liked Tuel. They wanted Tuel for the development guy after watching him for a month in the practices, and didn't want to split the reps between Kolb, Manuel and Jackson in training camp.

Also the Fitz thing was way different. They were not going to pay him his salary that he was due. They demanded that he cut it because he was going to not be given the starter role, they were going to draft a rookie. It's because they didnt want to pay him that all of that was said and transpired. That's bullschit to equate them.

I would like for BADOL to name me even 1. I dont need 12, or even 2. Give me 1 who wouldve been a better choice.

I would like for BADOL to name me even 1. I dont need 12, or even 2. Give me 1 who wouldve been a better choice.

His point, which I understand and agree with to some extent but not nearly the length that he takes it, was that Kolb had 100% chance of getting hurt, and there was not a chance he would survive training camp based on his injury history, so virtually anyone they signed would have been a better choice.

It was a decent chance, it wasn't automatic.

His point, which I understand and agree with to some extent but not nearly the length that he takes it, was that Kolb had 100% chance of getting hurt, and there was not a chance he would survive training camp based on his injury history, so virtually anyone they signed would have been a better choice.

It was a decent chance, it wasn't automatic.

I get that Kolb was a shell of a former player and a mistake to bring in, but I just dont remember any highly regarded vets being available. In this league, if a vet QB is available, it's for a good reason.

If we brought in Player X instead of Kolb, he'd be posting about what a mistake it was to bring him in as well. Because all the QB FA options usually suck.

Edited by DrDareustein

Has a rookie head coach knowing his new team was picking a QB very high in the draft ever picked an offensive coordinator with no NFL experience at that position? That was a real dumb decision by Marrone. The Bills were also stupid in hiring him in the first place if that was his plan knowing that the team was targeting Manuel.

I don't know, but that was bad. I think that 1st year Hackett was acting as QB coach also....

Maybe they let Hackett pick E.J. !!!

I get that Kolb was a shell of a former player and a mistake to bring in, but I just dont remember any highly regarded vets being available. In this league, if a vet QB is available, it's for a good reason.

If we brought in Player X instead of Kolb, he'd be posting about what a mistake it was to bring him in as well. Because all the QB FA options usually suck.

There were virtually none.

The mistake was cutting Jackson, although at the time I understood the reasoning. But in retrospect, with Kolb's history, it just shouldn't have been done. I also doubt that TJackson really would have done much better than Thad did, or that Orton did this year, so it wasn't even in retrospect all that egregious an error.

I don't know, but that was bad. I think that 1st year Hackett was acting as QB coach also....

A first year HC, bringing in a new system, who brought with him a first year 30 something year old OC, knowing they would be working with a rookie high draft pick QB, PROBABLY should have had a QB coach to help.