Jets coaching search

YoloinOhio

Unless he's a drastically different person from when he played for the Bills, can't see Reich doing well coaching the Jets. Complete personality mismatch with Jets fanbase.

If the organization is making GM and coaching decisions based on the collective personality of the fan base, they are in deep trouble regardless.

If the organization is making GM and coaching decisions based on the collective personality of the fan base, they are in deep trouble regardless.

Disagree. If Reich didn't win big right away, fanbase would be flying planes overhead calling him a wimp. Dumb not to consider. Personality of fanbase and media is part of organizational fit.

Disagree. If Reich didn't win big right away, fanbase would be flying planes overhead calling him a wimp. Dumb not to consider. Personality of fanbase and media is part of organizational fit.

I understand what you're saying...I just think it'd come down to winning more than anything else. If I'm picking a coach, I'm doing it based on what I perceive is his ability to win. I suppose, if all football-related factors were equal, I'd consider the collective personality of the fan base and media as secondary (or tertiary) factors.

That would indeed be huge...I just don't see him leaving. He's the heir-apparent to Ozzie, and I think he likes it that way.

Has Ozzie shown any signs of slowing down or leaving within the next couple of years?

I understand what you're saying...I just think it'd come down to winning more than anything else. If I'm picking a coach, I'm doing it based on what I perceive is his ability to win. I suppose, if all football-related factors were equal, I'd consider the collective personality of the fan base and media as secondary (or tertiary) factors.

I think that the original point may have been: Given that the media and fan-base will be highly critical if they aren't Super Bowl contenders coming out of training camp - how would Reich or other candidates allow/not allow that to affect them?

Lots of coaches have (apparently) been affected by media/fan criticism and New York will lead the way with criticism by all. There are probably 5x as many all-sports talk radio stations in NY as there are in Buffalo and > 10x as many rabid unhappy fans who will complain and criticize endlessly. Whomever the Jets select as coach will need to have thick skin or be successful instantaneously.

I don't get all the live for Reich, he was a decent backup QB here for Kelly with very limited coaching experience in the NFL. He has never been a head coach and very little experience as a co-ordinator. I don't see him stepping into any head coaching job and turning the franchise around. It wasn't like he was the co-ordinator for a top of fence for multiple years, or won anything as a top college coach

DeCosta - He is very good at the cap and very good at putting the right talent on the roster without breaking a bank. He can get cap figures and premier players to meet while being similar to Whaley in using guys like Thigpen and Gray. This would be a good move.

-----------

Bowles - They have too many problems on offense to hire a defensive minded head coach. I could and would like it (as a Jets fan) if they could get Bowles to be an assistant HC / Defensive Coordinator under Kubiak.

Cable - A dark horse I'd figure at best. He has experience working with the OL and reminds me of Marrone. I do not think he would be a wise option.

Reich - Too green for the green. Reich is going to get a lot of attention because his sudden rise but it would be too big of jump to throw him in at HC when he has so little executive management/shot caller experience.

Kubiak - Best fit for the Jets. Kubiak is adept in the NFL offensive game. He's been around a long time and plays conservative. With Kubiaks conservation and the Jets mauling OL (which does need a few upgrades) he will succeed. He has ties with Kyle Shannahan.

So, I do not want...

GM DeCosta

HC Kubiak

DC Bowles

OC Shanahan.

That would indeed be huge...I just don't see him leaving. He's the heir-apparent to Ozzie, and I think he likes it that way.

It seems pretty unlikely because the amount of money and operational control would be huge. You can bet he's not accepting a job where being fired would be an option for the owner in 2 years like their last GM.

• 2 weeks later...