Time to build around Manuel

gjv001

Odds are we will not find a decent veteran QB replacement for Orton to play next season. Manuel is probable as good if not better than most of the QB's that will become available this off season. The Bills can get to the next level with Manuel if and only if they put players around him that can dominate. If we can keep our defense together and get a healthy Kiko Alonzo back our defense should be dominate. Now our challenge becomes to up grade the Oline and develop a dominate running game. Build a team similar to the Baltimore team that won the Super Bowl with Trent Dilfer.

I agree. Orton's retirement just forced the Bills hand. We're not going to get a quality starter through free agency or the draft so now it's time to make the most of what we have at the position now, and get as much as we can out of it.

I'm pulling for EJ to come through for us. It's still going to be a learning process but it is what it is. I just hope we can bring in a veteran mentor that can continue to help him along without having to start.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Orton's retirement just forced the Bills hand. We're not going to get a quality starter through free agency or the draft so now it's time to make the most of what we have at the position now, and get as much as we can out of it.

I'm pulling for EJ to come through for us. It's still going to be a learning process but it is what it is. I just hope we can bring in a veteran mentor that can continue to help him along without having to start.

Eh. Veteran mentor's are vastly overrated IMO. At the end of the day, EJ needs to step up to the plate and execute. EJ, like any high draft pick, has had plenty of support within the organization to learn and grow.

Edited by bobobonators

Like it or not, I agree with the OP. The Bills won't find the next Brady/Manning/Brees/Rodgers (or even Jim Kelly) in free agency or the draft this year. In fact, all of those QBs were good in part because they have/had excellent offensive lines.

If you want to cut EJ, go ahead. Living with Jeff Tuel or picking up Matt Moore, Mark Sanchez, or Sam Bradford won't make a damn bit of difference if they don't do anything to address the OL. Yes, EJ had some issues, but I still don't think he's gotten enough of a look. Don't get me wrong...he still has 2 strikes in my book, but let's give him a chance. Get the OL fixed first, then worry about the QB.

Rodgers and Roethlesberger have had terrible lines for much of their playing careers...

I agree with many that at this point the Bills may not have much of a choice other than Manuel, whether they like it or not.

Maybe they could throw some money at Orton and talk him off of the couch again. But that's just putting a band-aid on the problem.

Edited by CodeMonkey