Marine general says it's 'fun'

Marine general says it's 'fun' to shoot some in combat

By John J. Lumpkin

WASHINGTON -- A decorated Marine Corps general said, "It's fun to shoot some people" and poked fun at the manhood of Afghans as he described the wars US troops are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

copyright violation - please provide link.

Edited by KRC

Marine general says it's 'fun' to shoot some in combat

By John J. Lumpkin

WASHINGTON -- A decorated Marine Corps general said, "It's fun to shoot some people" and poked fun at the manhood of Afghans as he described the wars US troops are fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

copyright violation - please provide link.

228084[/snapback]

Here's a link to the story...Story

According to an audio recording, he said, "Actually, it's a lot of fun to fight. You know, it's a hell of a hoot. ... It's fun to shoot some people. I'll be right up front with you, I like brawling."

He added, "You go into Afghanistan, you got guys who slap women around for five years because they didn't wear a veil. You know, guys like that ain't got no manhood left anyway. So it's a hell of a lot of fun to shoot them."

Probably about the same as I'd feel about shooting a child molestor or any guy that beats woman ....

Ok we have turned into a nation of sadistic freaks. Sure many people deserve what they have comming to them, but to take enjoyment in the slaughtering of anyone for any reason is f*up. If this is what the leaders are saying imagine what the lowest marine thinks, is it now ok to torture, kill, or maim theese people because of how some of them treat women. That general is going to hell along with all of the "evil" people that he dispaches from this planet.

This public service announcement brought to you by coltrane34.

Ok we have turned into a nation of sadistic freaks. Sure many people deserve what they have comming to them, but to take enjoyment in the slaughtering of anyone for any reason is f*up. If this is what the leaders are saying imagine what the lowest marine thinks, is it now ok to torture, kill, or maim theese people because of how some of them treat women. That general is going to hell along with all of the "evil" people that he dispaches from this planet.

This public service announcement brought to you by coltrane34.

228242[/snapback]

:lol:

That people are getting freaked out by this is absurd. Killing a bad guy- especially in the context that he discussed it (men who beat and main women)- is his job. And I'm thankful that people like him are out there willing to kill the bad guys. I'm not doing it.

Or, more importantly, having it done to you and yours.

228330[/snapback]

Exactly. Someone on here (VABills?) has a sig line about the dark men in the night who guard our freedom. I don't think about our armed forces in exactly that light, but the point is a good one. I sleep well at night because a lot of people are willing to kill any MFer who tries to mess with me (not to mention they are willing to die protecting me). I don't forget it. Our armed services are underappreciated and underpaid.

Exactly. Someone on here (VABills?) has a sig line about the dark men in the night who guard our freedom. I don't think about our armed forces in exactly that light, but the point is a good one. I sleep well at night because a lot of people are willing to kill any MFer who tries to mess with me (not to mention they are willing to die protecting me). I don't forget it. Our armed services are underappreciated and underpaid.

228483[/snapback]

I think it's a quote from Heinlein or some other writer bout "Rough and Ready men" who are willing to do what it takes. It's an awesome quote, whoever it's from.

It was George Orwell and yes it was in my sig.

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” –George Orwell

I however like my current one as well from Mills:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill

It was George Orwell and yes it was in my sig. 

“People sleep peaceably in their bed at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” –George Orwell

I however like my current one as well from Mills:

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." -- John Stuart Mill

228547[/snapback]

I knew it was a sci-fi writer, but did not know which one. Thanks.

Didn't dare try a google search on that. lo

I know and have had a few beers with a former Marine general who was basically forced to retire. Morals of an alleycat, not PC at all, but MOH awardee and a great man. I actually had another senior Marine call him the type you lock up and only let him out in case of war. I was not too happy. The General (I knew him as a LtCol and Col) was a great man and cared more for this country than anyone I know. Funny thing is I didn't like his politics as he was a Democrat (hardcore). But he also swayed from hardcore Democrat beliefs when it came to the military as he knew it needed to be strong, quick, feerless, and righteous.

I know and have had a few beers with a former Marine general who was basically forced to retire.  Morals of an alleycat, not PC at all, but MOH awardee and a great man.  I actually had another senior Marine call him the type you lock up and only let him out in case of war.  I was not too happy.  The General (I knew him as a LtCol and Col) was a great man and cared more for this country than anyone I know.  Funny thing is I didn't like his politics as he was a Democrat (hardcore).  But he also swayed from hardcore Democrat beliefs when it came to the military as he knew it needed to be strong, quick, feerless, and righteous.

228556[/snapback]

The shackling of our warriors is an embarrassment. When you unleash the dogs of war, they go to war, not to a play date. We need men that will go to war, kill people, and break things. The lines for morality in war are a lot different from the lines we draw to get through life.

The shackling of our warriors is an embarrassment. When you unleash the dogs of war, they go to war, not to a play date. We need men that will go to war, kill people, and break things. The lines for morality in war are a lot different from the lines we draw to get through life.

228575[/snapback]

What's more...in as much as morality has any place in war, the most moral way to fight a war is as quickly as possible, which means you prosecute it from the start as violently as possible with everything you can bring to bear. Massive casualties don't come from wars being violent, they come from wars being long. War doesn't just have different moral rules, it turns them on its head in the interest of being humane.